Old 30-08-2005, 01:56 AM
suzilem

Default Virginia Creeper

Anybody know how to kill off Virginia Creeper? I've got some in a small
flowerbed and it is definitely the PLANT THAT WILL NOT DIE!(tm)

(I'm in Southwestern Williamson County)

Thanks!

Old 30-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Katra

In article ,
"suzilem" wrote:

Anybody know how to kill off Virginia Creeper? I've got some in a small
flowerbed and it is definitely the PLANT THAT WILL NOT DIE!(tm)

(I'm in Southwestern Williamson County)

Thanks!

Rip some out by the roots and mail it to me. ;-)

I'll pay you for it.

Cheers!

Katra (that "at" thingy) centurytel dot net
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 31-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Kathleen

LOL Katra
You like all that "bad" stuff!

I wonder how awful it would be to plant some bamboo? I walk everyday and
one of the neighbors down the road (same one who has all the ligustrum
blocking the view from road to house) has a bunch of it on the other side of
the ligustrum, and let me tell you NOBODY can see through all that.

Someone bought the property behind us and will probably build soon, and I
would love to have a free privacy fence. Is there anyway to keep it from
spreading?
With hope and heart,
Kathleen

--
Sometimes the Lord calms the storm,
and sometimes He lets the storm rage

Old 31-08-2005, 05:40 PM
John

"Kathleen" wrote in message
LOL Katra
You like all that "bad" stuff!

I wonder how awful it would be to plant some bamboo? I walk everyday and
one of the neighbors down the road (same one who has all the ligustrum
blocking the view from road to house) has a bunch of it on the other side
of
the ligustrum, and let me tell you NOBODY can see through all that.

Someone bought the property behind us and will probably build soon, and I
would love to have a free privacy fence. Is there anyway to keep it from
spreading?
With hope and heart,
Kathleen

Hi Kathleen..
Bamboo can be managed..First, there is "clumping" and "running" bamboos..The
type you see all over around UT and down by Town Lake is badly neglected
running type. This type is very fast growing and will make a screen
fast..But if you don't put a barrier down it will go everywhere..
Now, there are "clumping" varieties of bamboo which are beautiful and don't
spread like that..They spread more like a banana or a Cannas..They make new
bulbs and grow right next to the old so your clump gets bigger..There are
numerous site about bamboo, just Google search and you will find a ton of
info...There are even Bamboo organizations who can help and I think there
might even be one here in Austin..

Hope this helps!
John

Old 01-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Kathleen

Thanks John!
With hope and heart,
Kathleen

Old 02-09-2005, 02:20 PM
Andyd

Just be *very* careful with bamboo. I had a friend who purchased a
house that had bamboo at the back, presumably to block the view of the
neighbors. To get rid of it he ended up having to pull up all of the
rocks and dirt to get it all out, sifting the dirt by hand through a
mesh screen to get all of the roots out. It was a 2-3 year process
for him I believe. The big, thick, tall bamboo "screens" you
typically see are the running type for the most part. And "barrier"
to contain really means barrier. I believe a gardening program I
watched several years ago showed putting up bamboo as a screen (not
sure if it was clumping or running). They said to dig large holes and
place large clay or metal pots or something in them, essentially a
container plant in the ground, to keep it from spreading. Also keep
in mind your neighbors, if you put in bamboo and it gets out of
control, it is their problem too.

andyd

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 06:01:16 -0500, "Kathleen"
wrote:

Thanks John!
With hope and heart,
Kathleen

Old 02-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Kathleen

I will definitely research this if I do it, because I want to grow old here
and I don't want to be 80 years old and out there pulling up suckers (or
whatever the proper gardening term is, lol)!
With hope and heart,
Kathleen

Old 02-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Victor Martinez

Kathleen wrote:
I will definitely research this if I do it, because I want to grow old here
and I don't want to be 80 years old and out there pulling up suckers (or
whatever the proper gardening term is, lol)!

You can enjoy bamboo and protect your property (and your neighbors') by
putting a bamboo barrier around the bed where you want it. You need to
dig a trench 2 feet deep and either fill it up with concrete or use a
heavy plastic liner.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 02-09-2005, 05:33 PM
dt

Victor Martinez wrote:

Kathleen wrote:

I will definitely research this if I do it, because I want to grow
old here
and I don't want to be 80 years old and out there pulling up suckers (or
whatever the proper gardening term is, lol)!

You can enjoy bamboo and protect your property (and your neighbors')
by putting a bamboo barrier around the bed where you want it. You need
to dig a trench 2 feet deep and either fill it up with concrete or use
a heavy plastic liner.

My girlfriend had bamboo on the back of her lot, with roofing tin buried
2' deep as a barrier. The bamboo sent roots UNDER the tin. If you
really want to contain it, the container better have a bottom. Even
drainage holes would make me nervous.

DT

http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 07-09-2005, 09:27 PM
John

"dt" wrote in message
Victor Martinez wrote:

Kathleen wrote:

I will definitely research this if I do it, because I want to grow old
here
and I don't want to be 80 years old and out there pulling up suckers (or
whatever the proper gardening term is, lol)!

You can enjoy bamboo and protect your property (and your neighbors') by
putting a bamboo barrier around the bed where you want it. You need to
dig a trench 2 feet deep and either fill it up with concrete or use a
heavy plastic liner.

My girlfriend had bamboo on the back of her lot, with roofing tin buried
2' deep as a barrier. The bamboo sent roots UNDER the tin. If you really
want to contain it, the container better have a bottom. Even drainage
holes would make me nervous.

DT

http://www.thehungersite.com/

The instructions I have read tell you to tip the tin outwards away from the
plantings, so the rogue roots will travel up and over the top so you can cut
them off. Tilted toward the plantings and it will naturally go
downward...Seems to be a lot of work though, to dig that deep. place the
barrier etc..

John