Old 09-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Cindy

Default rhubarb

Does rhubarb grow here? I NEEED to make some rhubarb crunch, and the stuff
in the grocery stores is revolting.
I'm in the Houston area.
Yeah, I know I could look it up, but it's more fun to talk about it here.

Cindy

Old 09-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Cindy wrote:

Does rhubarb grow here? I NEEED to make some rhubarb crunch, and the stuff
in the grocery stores is revolting.
I'm in the Houston area.
Yeah, I know I could look it up, but it's more fun to talk about it here.

Cindy

Cindy,
I have no idea if rhubarb grows in Texas, however, last week I had a couple of
the ladies where I work believing that rhubarb was a small gerbil like rodent
that was great for cooking and desserts. Boy did I have fun with that one for
a couple of days. I finally had to tell them the truth. By the way, I am the
practical joker where I work.

Cheers,

Ray
Austin, TX
===

Old 09-10-2005, 06:09 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" wrote:

Cindy wrote:

Does rhubarb grow here? I NEEED to make some rhubarb crunch, and the stuff
in the grocery stores is revolting.
I'm in the Houston area.
Yeah, I know I could look it up, but it's more fun to talk about it here.

Cindy

Cindy,
I have no idea if rhubarb grows in Texas, however, last week I had a couple of
the ladies where I work believing that rhubarb was a small gerbil like rodent
that was great for cooking and desserts. Boy did I have fun with that one for
a couple of days. I finally had to tell them the truth. By the way, I am the
practical joker where I work.

Cheers,

Ray
Austin, TX
===

You _must_ expand on this story...... ;-)

Details dude! Details!!!
--
Om.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:13 AM
Cindy

Cindy,
I have no idea if rhubarb grows in Texas, however, last week I had a
couple of the ladies where I work believing that rhubarb was a small
gerbil like rodent that was great for cooking and desserts. Boy did
I have fun with that one for a couple of days. I finally had to tell
them the truth. By the way, I am the practical joker where I work.

Cheers,

Ray
Austin, TX
===

LOL
That's a good one!
When my kids were little, I used to get really tired of being asked "what's
for supper?" every day about an hour after we ate lunch. I have pet snakes,
and I feed them thawed rodents, which I keep in the freezer until feeding
time. One day when the kids ran in to ask the eternal question, I waved at
a heaping plate of thawing rodents, and said, "fried rats!"
"oh hahaha, what are we REALLY having?" "Fried rats!" I repeated.
"NOooooo!" they screamed. I kept it up for quite awhile, and before I was
done I had them threatening to run away from home. It was hilarious.

Cindy

Old 10-10-2005, 05:14 AM
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

In article ,
"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" wrote:

Cindy wrote:

[...]

Quite simple, you tell the story with a very straight face and add a bit of
imagination, how the little rhubarbs are processed and only the thigh meat is used
and sweetened with beet sugar and a bit of lemon essence for that tartness, etc. and
you will have them believing that the world is flat.

Cheers, now go and make up a good one.

Ray
Austin, TX
===

Old 11-10-2005, 03:45 PM
pistor

Cindy wrote:
Does rhubarb grow here? I NEEED to make some rhubarb crunch, and the stuff
in the grocery stores is revolting.

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-growing.html#TOC16
Looks like it doesn't grow well in the south, but you might have luck
growing it as an annual. Don't you have Whole Foods or Central Market
nearby? Both stock rhubarb in season. I've even seen it frozen, which I
guess is fine for pies?

Victor

Old 11-10-2005, 11:58 PM
Cindy

pistor wrote:
Cindy wrote:
Does rhubarb grow here? I NEEED to make some rhubarb crunch, and
the stuff in the grocery stores is revolting.

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-growing.html#TOC16
Looks like it doesn't grow well in the south, but you might have luck
growing it as an annual. Don't you have Whole Foods or Central Market
nearby? Both stock rhubarb in season. I've even seen it frozen, which
I guess is fine for pies?

Victor

Neither of those stores are nearby. Yes, I have some frozen in my freezer.
But I love the plants--huge green wavy leaves, red stems, good to chew on
raw. Maybe I'll try growing as an annual.
Thanks!
Cindy