Old 27-04-2006, 02:50 AM posted to austin.gardening
Kathleen

Default chickens

--
This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed
to practise ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect from other people.

"Jonny" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Kathleen" wrote in message
Know where you're at. The Dollar General is right across the street

from
the high school. If you want to see tame deer and turkey, head into

town
just before sunup. Turn right on 12 at the Ozona Bank on River Road.

Take
the first street on the right (Lange Rd). The seniors in the area feed
both. All this may go away soon as an alcoholic treatment facility is
due
to go up on the big vacant lot out there.

I've seen those turkeys! I have a friend who lives on Rhodes who would
just
as soon shoot them.
I hadn't heard about the alcoholic treatment facility.

Son-in-law, daughter, and 2 grandsons live across the street from the lot
where they intend to build this treatment facility. Guess Wimberley city
council is waiting till last minute to let folks know about it. Seems
common about Wimberley city officials and letting people know about stuff.

Son-in-law says there's 2 squads of people in the area. Some like the
"tame" turkey. Others run out of their houses to chase them off. Kinda
like people and cats. You love em or hate em.

I believe it!! My client loves them, and the neighbor (also a friend) hates
them. lol

We made a 'coop' out of PVC pipe and chicken wire. A coon or possum

could
get in there if they wanted to, but we trap predators and have 2 big

dogs.
The dogs sleep inside at night so I'm not sure if having them helps or
not.
We have lost 1 out of 7 chicks so far, but it looked sickly and one day
just
didn't come home.

Chickens are great entertainment! We have 1 rooster, 4 hens and 5

babies
that will be given away when they get bigger. 5 is a good number for

this
family.
With hope and heart,
Kathleen

When I was young, my dad raised a dozen chickens at a time, Rhode Island
Reds. He rotated the chicken yard area between the garden area every two
years. He fed them standard chicken feed, food scraps, and finely ground
chicken egg shells. The egg shell thing prevented soft eggshells, always
firm. The ground was originally bright white caliche. Those chickens
really fertilize well!

I've seen those fancy 'moving cages' - I think they call them "tractors".
We feed everything you wrote above. We let them out during the day and make
sure they go back in at night. I haven't tried the fertilizer yet but the
people on my poultry list say it works great.
Oh, and we use a cheap $4-10 tarp that covers the top and back of the coop
for shade. We started with an old rabbit hutch but then when they started
laying he made two nest/boxes out of scrap wood and a little ladder up into
them. We haven't moved our coop but if we took those nest boxes out we
could move it around. Now the rabbit hutch is my brooding area, and he
fixed it up with concrete blocks as steps so the chickies can get back in at
night.

With hope and heart,
Kathleen

You got me thinking about the chicken raising more seriously. Will put

the
coop out next to the garden, same idea of rotation my dad used. The PVC
frame caging sounds easy to move to boot. They will need some shade
however.
--
Jonny

Old 27-04-2006, 03:40 AM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Chickens are fun. I miss having them.
I used to have Dwarf Cochins, Mille Fleurs and Silver and Golden
Sebrights -- all bantams. And I had African geese, a couple white turkeys
and a few ducks. One of the turkeys loved me and wanted to sit on me all
the time, and the other was jealous (I guess) and attacked me.
I'd like to try giant cochins. Those things are so cool! They are
huge!

Cindy

Old 27-04-2006, 12:48 PM posted to austin.gardening
Kathleen

We have a White Leghorn, a Barred Rock (she is the sweetest, we can't hold
her but she comes really close and follows us around), an Americauna, a
Rhode Island Red rooster and 6 mixtures.

With hope and heart,
Kathleen

--
This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed
to practise ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect from other people.
~ C.S.Lewis

om...