Old 14-04-2006, 03:28 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jim Marrs

Default New garden

Well, I am getting my vegetable garden just about in. I will be setting my
bell peppers out this weekend. Convinced that morning temps will not fall to
below 50 degrees. Don't want my peppers stunted at all. I have cucumbers up
and growing , got my pinto beans in and all of my tomatoes. Just can't
hardly wait for all the fresh abundance in about another month or so. How
are the rest of you progressing? This is the best time of year for gardening
, but so few posts. Just wondering.

Cheers

JEM

Old 14-04-2006, 05:56 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

For most general vegetable gardening, get beyond the last frost and haul in
the veggies before the worst of heat gets here. Tomatoes, okra, and
jalopenoes will be okay to continue.

Grow some heat tolerant flowers to attract the bees/butterflies/whatever to
pollenate your veggie flowers.

Few posts, yep. Followed this group for over 3 months. Don't understand it
myself. I'm in Wimberley, TX. Half the folks in the area are Houston
retired folks.

Most of the native fauna is flowering right now. Getting ready for the
summer dormancy period due to heat and lack of precipitation..
--
Jonny

Old 14-04-2006, 06:47 AM posted to austin.gardening
Scott Sexton

How are the rest of you progressing? This is the best time of year
for gardening , but so few posts. Just wondering.

Things are popping up all over my yard.

The Zoysia seems to be coming in pretty well, planted it in late
January. anyone know how long I need to keep watering it to get it
established?
Roses are blooming up a storm.
1 Calla lily has bloomed with others on the way.
Stargazers are about to open up also
Tiger lily's look like they will follow the stargazers about a week or
two afterwards.
Castor Beans are popping up. I expect they will make it to 10-12' this
year.
Passion Flower (both Red and regular) are starting to come back from the
roots. They froze down to the groud this winter.
Mexican Plum finished blooming a while back
Texas Orchid just finished blooming
Althea/Rose of Sharon is coming out nicely it usually doesn't bloom
until later.
Mountain Laurel has already run it's course and is doing fine.

Basically the garden is coming up nicely, I love this time of year!

Take care, time to go smell the roses!

Scott H. Sexton help@
www.sexton.com sexton.com
Eeyore's Birthday Party http://eeyores.sexton.com
Old 14-04-2006, 12:35 PM posted to austin.gardening
Kathleen

My onions are thriving.
I plan to get some peppers in this weekend, bell, banana, and some jalapeno.
My amaryllis just bloomed and my cannas are starting to come up again.
The rosemary is doing great and the roses are blooming.
My bluebonnets didn't come up at all... hopefully next year they will all
bloom at once.
Strawberries didn't make it, I made DH promise that he would remind me this
year that I *really* *don't* need strawberry plants because I just don't
take care of them.
I think that's it here... oh, my cactus (one prickly one and one without,
can't remember the names) are all doing great. Hmmmmm... was cacti plural?
With hope and heart,
Kathleen, also in Wimberley

--
Like an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality
and eats away its vital unity. Hate destroys a man's sense

Old 14-04-2006, 12:42 PM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

Scott Sexton wrote:
The Zoysia seems to be coming in pretty well, planted it in late
January. anyone know how long I need to keep watering it to get it
established?

We water our Zoysia in the same schedule as the rest of the garden,
every 5 days.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 14-04-2006, 05:39 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 02:28:45 GMT, "Jim Marrs"
wrote:

Well, I am getting my vegetable garden just about in. I will be setting my
bell peppers out this weekend. Convinced that morning temps will not fall to
below 50 degrees. Don't want my peppers stunted at all. I have cucumbers up
and growing , got my pinto beans in and all of my tomatoes. Just can't
hardly wait for all the fresh abundance in about another month or so. How
are the rest of you progressing? This is the best time of year for gardening
, but so few posts. Just wondering.

Cheers

JEM

Actually, the best time to vegetable garden is in the fall. I never
heard temps under 50 could stunt growth of peppers. That's funny!

I'm going to put my tomatoes in over the weekend, but I bought plants
this time to get a head start. I am also growing watermelon this year
and can hardly wait to eat my own juicy melon rather than whatever
crap they sell at the store for six dollars a piece.
Old 15-04-2006, 07:23 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

wrote:

[...]

Keep an eye on the birds. They ate 2 sets of watermelon seedlings to date.
Birds ignored many other new growth vegetables etc. This 3rd set looks like
it will be okay. They munch on 1st growth sunflowers as well, just not to
the point of plant death.
--
Jonny

Old 15-04-2006, 04:54 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 06:23:53 GMT, "Jonny"
wrote:

Keep an eye on the birds. They ate 2 sets of watermelon seedlings to date.
Birds ignored many other new growth vegetables etc. This 3rd set looks like
it will be okay. They munch on 1st growth sunflowers as well, just not to
the point of plant death.

I have so many seeds out there just for the birds to eat sprouts.
They love alfalfa, lentils, chickpeas, etc. I plan to put in about 10
mounds of watermelon hills and if two vines make it, great.

I am seeing a lot of embryonic peaches and I really hope they don't
spontaneously abort. We barely had winter and though this variety of
peach only needs 400 chill hours, I don't think we have 100 chill
hours!
Old 15-04-2006, 09:11 PM posted to austin.gardening
Kathleen

C'mon Kathy. Prickly pear cactus grows wild out here. Don't have to
plant
it, water it, or otherwise. Expect flowers in a couple of months from it.
Had to knock down a mess of it so I could get to back in end of land on

foot
last year.

Yeah, I had problems getting it to grow where I wanted it because the deer
were pulling it up last year. Now it has little buds all over it.

DH *loves* jalapenos! I bought 2 plants yesterday, 6-pack of banana and a
couple bell pepper plants. I need to get them planted tonight. He would
love okra and green beans but all my 'gardening' is done in containers, in a
very sunny space on the deck. Perhaps I should get a bit... is it too late
for an okra plant? Do they love the sun?

With hope and heart,
Kathleen

If you got a husband or whatever, feed him lotsa jalapenos. Good for
killing prostrate cancer. No, I'm not kidding.

Too warm for strawberries, and it going to get worse as you know. But,
along the same lines (cool weather), my leaf lettuce is growing well

despite
the heat. Jalapenoes just sprouted their 3rd set of leaves, still small.
One major tomato plant, with 4 others struggling. Many tomato seedling
deaths, followed by replants here. Had to replant okra and green beans

due
to last frost, planted west of some trees. Too much early morning shade.
--
Jonny

Old 16-04-2006, 03:51 PM posted to austin.gardening
J Kolenovsky

Hey, looks like you got a good thread going on this topic. You said,
"Most of the native fauna is flowering right now.". Did you mean "Flora"
which stands for plants? I don't think I've ever seen an "animal"
flower. At least not from my parts.

J. Kolenovsky
TCNP

Old 16-04-2006, 05:53 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmiOmlet

In article ,
J Kolenovsky wrote:

Hey, looks like you got a good thread going on this topic. You said,
"Most of the native fauna is flowering right now.". Did you mean "Flora"
which stands for plants? I don't think I've ever seen an "animal"
flower. At least not from my parts.

J. Kolenovsky
TCNP

You never watched "Farscape" did you. ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother nevers saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch."
- Jack Nicholson
Old 17-04-2006, 02:49 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jim Marrs

The temperature thing is especially true for bell type peppers. By stunt, I
mean they will just sit and not really grow for 10- 20 days. I have observed
this behavior several times and especially if the temp falls below 45. I
like 50 degrees just to be on the safe side.

Have fun

Jim

Old 17-04-2006, 03:42 AM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

OmManiPadmiOmlet typed:
In article ,
J Kolenovsky wrote:

Hey, looks like you got a good thread going on this topic. You
said, "Most of the native fauna is flowering right now.". Did you
mean "Flora" which stands for plants? I don't think I've ever seen
an "animal" flower. At least not from my parts.

J. Kolenovsky
TCNP

You never watched "Farscape" did you. ;-)

AH HA HA!!!

Old 17-04-2006, 05:50 PM posted to austin.gardening
Mike Harris

DH *loves* jalapenos! I bought 2 plants yesterday, 6-pack of banana and a
couple bell pepper plants. I need to get them planted tonight. He would
love okra and green beans but all my 'gardening' is done in containers, in
very sunny space on the deck. Perhaps I should get a bit... is it too
late
for an okra plant? Do they love the sun?

With hope and heart,
Kathleen

I grow everything *but* jalapenos, the iceberg lettuce of capsicums! G
Seriously, they aren't bad; a little bit grassy / herbal to my taste, just
that there are so many more interesting choices out there. For general
seasoning I prefer the brighter flavor of serranos; the chinensis subspecies
have a very pleasant tropical, almost fruity flavor, and I enjoy the wild
bitterness of the small peppers, tepins & pequins.

It's not too late for okra; it's the only thing I've found that truly
thrives in our August heat. Beautiful cream colored hibiscus looking
flowers (they're related), and you can't kill them with a baseball bat.

--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

Old 17-04-2006, 06:23 PM posted to austin.gardening
jOhN

snip
bitterness of the small peppers, tepins & pequins.

It's not too late for okra; it's the only thing I've found that truly
thrives in our August heat. Beautiful cream colored hibiscus looking
flowers (they're related), and you can't kill them with a baseball bat.

--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

Oh no, thanks to that last comment we'll soon see another Saturday night
wasted on the Sci-Fi Channel - Bio-engineered Hibiscus esculentus gone
berserk and sliming those silly human pests ;-)

"When we got there, sheriff, the Parkins family was completely gumbo'd.
However, they needed a bit more salt to my taste."