Old 11-05-2006, 12:45 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default White insects on dill

I noticed my dill looked wilted and smaller, which was strange because
for the past month, it has been doing just fine while a blacktail
caterpillar ate away at it. The caterpillar is gone and the plant looks
bad. When I looked up close, I noticed tiny bugs with what appeared to
be white fur or spikes (not sure what you'd call it). I looked around,
but haven't been able to find any info. Any ideas?

Old 11-05-2006, 02:05 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jim Marrs

Sounds like you may have Mealy Bugs. Use either neem oil spray or a
insecticidal soap solution. Spray about ever 7 days until defeated.

Have Fun

JEM
ups.com...

Old 11-05-2006, 03:39 PM posted to austin.gardening
Mike Harris

I would agree with Jim - the "fur or spikes" sounds like mealy bugs.

Take a look at this page, to discern the difference:

http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/en...s/mbugswp.html

In any case, regardless of what they are you'd treat the same way, neem oil
or insecticidal soap.

FWIW the caterpillars seem to be beneficial to my dill. The insects keep
them from getting too tall and leggy, and force a lot of new foliage. Why
pinch off when nature can do it for you? G
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

"Jim Marrs" wrote in message
Sounds like you may have Mealy Bugs. Use either neem oil spray or a
insecticidal soap solution. Spray about ever 7 days until defeated.

Have Fun

JEM
ups.com...

Old 11-05-2006, 03:51 PM posted to austin.gardening

Yep. They're mealy bugs. I looked this morning, though, and mostly saw
what I think are whiteflies. They look a bit like tiny sesame seeds
covering the dill.

Oh, and Mike, I loved having the caterpillars! The kids got a kick out
of it, too. They grow so fat! That's some good dill. Or it was. I'll
get the soap.

Thanks everyone!
Sandra
Sandra Jackson