Old 16-07-2006, 06:29 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jennifer

Default Bald cypress

Hello!
I have a bald cypress that is about 6 months old and I just noticed that it
looks like it starting to turn a bit brown. Maybe I am not watering enough?
maybe it need some thing else?
Could use a bit of help.

Old 16-07-2006, 09:12 PM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

Jennifer wrote:
I have a bald cypress that is about 6 months old and I just noticed that it
looks like it starting to turn a bit brown. Maybe I am not watering enough?
maybe it need some thing else?

Brown or yellow? You should be giving it deep, slow waterings every 4
days or so. If it's turning yellow, fertilize with seaweed and green sand.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 17-07-2006, 02:12 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 17:29:30 GMT, "Jennifer"
wrote:

Hello!
I have a bald cypress that is about 6 months old and I just noticed that it
looks like it starting to turn a bit brown. Maybe I am not watering enough?
maybe it need some thing else?
Could use a bit of help.

Remove the browning tips with immaculate pruning shears and keep it
very well watered. Bald cypress live IN water, so overwatering is not
the problem. This is the tree's first summer and though it was
planted in December, this will be the hard part of the year to thrive
through.
Old 17-07-2006, 04:03 PM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

Dave-tx wrote:
If I may, I have a similar question - I've had a small bald cypress (1 ft) in
a pot (outside) for about a year. Should I go ahead and plant it this fall?

If you have a large spot for it. They get big.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 17-07-2006, 04:39 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 08:37:09 -0500, Dave-tx
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 15:12:29 -0500, Victor Martinez wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
I have a bald cypress that is about 6 months old and I just noticed that it
looks like it starting to turn a bit brown. Maybe I am not watering enough?
maybe it need some thing else?

Brown or yellow? You should be giving it deep, slow waterings every 4
days or so. If it's turning yellow, fertilize with seaweed and green sand.

If I may, I have a similar question - I've had a small bald cypress (1 ft) in
a pot (outside) for about a year. Should I go ahead and plant it this fall?

Absolutely! You can plant it now if you want. Container plants can
be planted any time of year. When you dig the hole make it three or
four times larger than the root ball. Jag the edges of the soil in
the hole, don't leave the sides smooth. It's like when you sand
something to give it tooth for the paint to stick to. Water
penetrates easier and roots reach out further, faster.

Just keep it watered.

Old 17-07-2006, 06:42 PM posted to austin.gardening
Dave-tx

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:03:50 -0500, Victor Martinez wrote:
Dave-tx wrote:
If I may, I have a similar question - I've had a small bald cypress (1 ft) in
a pot (outside) for about a year. Should I go ahead and plant it this fall?

If you have a large spot for it. They get big.

My biggest concern is the size of the root structure. I've got room, but want to
make sure I give it *enough* room. Any recommendations for distance from other
trees or structures (including septic fields)?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 17-07-2006, 06:44 PM posted to austin.gardening
Dave-tx

Jennifer wrote:
[...]

Cool, I'll chunk it in there once we're past the 100-degree days.
I'll worry about it less if it's a little cooler. Once it's
established, how much water beyond what's natural here in central
TX is needed?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 17-07-2006, 10:30 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:44:03 -0500, Dave-tx
wrote:

Cool, I'll chunk it in there once we're past the 100-degree days.
I'll worry about it less if it's a little cooler. Once it's
established, how much water beyond what's natural here in central
TX is needed?

Thanks,
Dave

Maybe Victor will know more, but I have never seen a bald cypress down
here in Austin which is not in an irrigated area. That said, if you
water with soaker hoses, depending on pressure, during the high summer
I'd say about 5 or 6 hours a week making sure you water it deeply.

Also, before you remove it from the container water it ten times, let
the water run out, water it again and again and again till that
rootball is completely saturated. If you don't do it in the
container, it will be virtually impossible to get that part of the
ball watered once in the ground and those are the only roots you have
on there for now.

Old 17-07-2006, 11:06 PM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

Dave-tx wrote:
My biggest concern is the size of the root structure. I've got room, but want to
make sure I give it *enough* room. Any recommendations for distance from other
trees or structures (including septic fields)?

I'd say something about 20' should be enough.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 17-07-2006, 11:07 PM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

Dave-tx wrote:
Cool, I'll chunk it in there once we're past the 100-degree days.
I'll worry about it less if it's a little cooler. Once it's
established, how much water beyond what's natural here in central
TX is needed?

Plenty. These trees are only found in nature next to water. I highly
recommend putting them in an irrigated area.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 18-07-2006, 02:43 PM posted to austin.gardening
Dave-tx

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:06:50 -0500, Victor Martinez wrote:
Dave-tx wrote:
My biggest concern is the size of the root structure. I've got room, but want to
make sure I give it *enough* room. Any recommendations for distance from other
trees or structures (including septic fields)?

I'd say something about 20' should be enough.

Good deal - I've got the perfect spot for it. Thanks for the tips.

-Dave
Old 18-07-2006, 02:44 PM posted to austin.gardening
Dave-tx

wrote:

[...]

Sounds good. Thanks to both of you for the help.

-Dave
Old 19-07-2006, 02:55 AM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Dave-tx wrote:
I'd say something about 20' should be enough.

Good deal - I've got the perfect spot for it. Thanks for the tips.

-Dave

Yeah, thanks! I needed to know that too.
Cindy
Old 19-07-2006, 05:40 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

ldomain...
Dave-tx wrote:
If I may, I have a similar question - I've had a small bald cypress (1
ft) in
a pot (outside) for about a year. Should I go ahead and plant it this
fall?

If you have a large spot for it. They get big.

My biggest concern is the size of the root structure. I've got room, but
want to
make sure I give it *enough* room. Any recommendations for distance from
other
trees or structures (including septic fields)?

Thanks,
Dave

Based on cedar tree (juniper ash) observation, recommend 50' or better.
That is from the outer perimeter from a leech field. Both species are known
for finding water sources via root structure. The laterals on cedars can
exceed 2.5 to 3 times its height easily. Not sure about cypress. But,
seems ballpark on what I've seen in the wild.
--
Jonny

[IBC] Bald Cypress randi sharp Bonsai 2 14-07-2003 06:32 AM
Bald Cypress Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 13-07-2003 02:20 AM
[IBC] Bald Cypress chop timing audgen Bonsai 2 13-04-2003 02:44 PM
[IBC] Pruning Bald Cypress seedlings Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 2 05-03-2003 09:52 PM
Pruning Bald Cypress seedlings Steve Payne Bonsai 0 04-03-2003 12:07 AM