Old 17-02-2007, 05:47 PM posted to austin.gardening
Tx Tx is offline

Default Flower beds

I have some bare flower beds ... it is too early to plant???

I also have a sago palm that needs to be transplanted (girth is starting to
block a walkway)... is there a best time to do this?

Old 17-02-2007, 10:30 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Tx" wrote in message ...
I have some bare flower beds ... it is too early to plant???

Depends on what you have in mind. A bit late for the winter annuals and too
early for most of the summer ones. Great time for perennials of any kind.

I also have a sago palm that needs to be transplanted (girth is starting
to block a walkway)... is there a best time to do this?

Best done in the heat of the summer.

Old 18-02-2007, 01:39 PM posted to austin.gardening

Why summer on the sago palm? isnt that a bit harsh for the plant?

thanks,
Anita

"Tx" wrote in ...

Old 18-02-2007, 04:17 PM posted to austin.gardening

All I can tell you is a local plant expert and radio show host, Bob Webster,
here in San Antonio has always recommended transplanting only in the warm
weather. You can talk to him at 210-824-3772, his nursery here in town.
If you have a potted plant where you have all the roots it is not so
critical. I would guess that they are practically dormant now and as they
don't seem to have a big root system that it is better when the conditions
are more conducive to new growth. Any way it works for me.

Cliff

oups.com...

Old 18-02-2007, 04:40 PM posted to austin.gardening

Cliff wrote:
All I can tell you is a local plant expert and radio show host, Bob Webster,
here in San Antonio has always recommended transplanting only in the warm
weather. You can talk to him at 210-824-3772, his nursery here in town.

You may want to get a second opinion. Most experts recommend
transplanting in the winter or very early spring. Transplanting in the
summer just seems like a really bad idea, too much stress for the plants
and the gardeners!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 18-02-2007, 11:23 PM posted to austin.gardening

Don't know if this guy is an expert but he has an opinion. Page two of this
web site.

http://junglemusic.net/cycadadvice/c...sago-palm2.htm

Old 18-02-2007, 11:43 PM posted to austin.gardening

Cliff wrote:
Don't know if this guy is an expert but he has an opinion. Page two of this
web site.

http://junglemusic.net/cycadadvice/c...sago-palm2.htm

Well, summer in San Diego is very different from summer in Central Texas.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 18-02-2007, 11:44 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 10:40:00 -0600, Victor Martinez
wrote:

Cliff wrote:
All I can tell you is a local plant expert and radio show host, Bob Webster,
here in San Antonio has always recommended transplanting only in the warm
weather. You can talk to him at 210-824-3772, his nursery here in town.

You may want to get a second opinion. Most experts recommend
transplanting in the winter or very early spring. Transplanting in the
summer just seems like a really bad idea, too much stress for the plants
and the gardeners!

The idea when transplanting cycads is that the soil is warm enough.
However, I would not recommend transplanting anything in high summer
here in Texas. No part of Texas.
Old 19-02-2007, 10:13 PM posted to austin.gardening

Seems some days you will do anything for a heated discussion.

I have had good luck moving them in July and August in San Antonio, I guess
I will have to try some on the next big freeze we have and see if that also
works. I will let you know in a couple years.

Old 19-02-2007, 11:17 PM posted to austin.gardening

Most of what I've read says to wait till the soil is warm. In Central
Texas, the soil is warm in April. Up on Long Island the soil warms up
mid June, last average frost date being May 30th. Where we are in
Texas, average last frost date is March 15 thru 30th.

If we have a week of temperatures in the seventies, that is a good
time to transplant them, but do some reading on their root system
first. Knowing about the root system will greatly reduce the shock if
you do it right.

Cliff wrote:
Don't know if this guy is an expert but he has an opinion. Page two of
this web site.

http://junglemusic.net/cycadadvice/c...sago-palm2.htm

Well, summer in San Diego is very different from summer in Central Texas.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he
Email me he

PVC sideing & raised flower beds Beecrofter Gardening 2 06-05-2003 02:20 AM
Animals in Flower Beds Bob Hunt Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Cat Litter (can it be used on my flower beds) Tony Gent United Kingdom 17 03-04-2003 07:56 PM
Adding Compost To Mulched Flower Beds Fleemo Gardening 9 07-02-2003 07:34 PM