Old 28-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Robert Wilson

Default Blooming while lily after a recent rain - zephyranthes?

After a recent respite from the dry spell, I started noticing a while
lily bloom seem to pop up out of the ground. Don't know if this was
everywhere or only where I saw it (off Old Spicewood Springs Road).

After taking a look, I decided it resembles a Zephyranthes, which I had
a pink variety of in my old garden back in New Orleans. If this is what
it is, is there a reliable source for cultivated bulbs somewhere
locally? I don't want to dig (gasp!) but would really like this in my
white garden.

Can anyone help?

Old 28-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Rusty Mase

On Wed, 28 May 2003 03:10:18 GMT, Robert Wilson
wrote:

After a recent respite from the dry spell, I started noticing a while
lily bloom seem to pop up out of the ground.

These Rain-lilies are probably in the genus Cooperia which is often
associated with Zephryanthes. But the common ones are C. drummondii
and C. pedunculata.

They transplant easily and the few I have growing seem to do well, if
the deer would leave them alone.

Rusty Mase

Old 28-05-2003, 01:56 PM
animaux

Did you happen to notice what shape the foliage was? It could also be
thimbleweed aka A. cylindrica.

http://www.ncwildflower.org/plants/thimbleweed.htm

If it is zephyranthes, I've seen them sold in most of the privately owned garden
centers, or you can order bulbs. Try not to dig them out of their native
habitat. If you are caught, it is a hefty fine and you are going against
nature.

The anemone I mention will also bloom out of nowhere after a rain. They produce
millions of seeds which I collect and mix gently with coarse sand rubbing it
together in my hand to separate the seeds and broadcast. I have it everywhere
and it is a beautiful flower and the foliage disappears when major heat arrives.

Victoria

Old 28-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Rusty Mase

On Wed, 28 May 2003 12:49:32 GMT, animaux
wrote:

Try not to dig them out of their native
habitat. If you are caught, it is a hefty fine and you are going against
nature.

That's pretty strong language, there, Victoria. There are no laws
against "retrieving" plants from the wild. Now if I start into my
neighbors flower beds, they could sue me for damages, I suspect.

To say that collecting living plant materials from the wild is "going
against nature" makes it sound as if it is a matter of religion.

I have created several wetlands in the Houston area by wandering
through drainage ditches and digging up plants to install in the new
wetland. Some of these were larger than an acre so I spent lots of
time in drainage ditches. I once even called the Harris County Flood
Control District to inquire if they were concerned with my doing this
and they actually encouraged it.

The rules I follow is never disturb more that 5% of the surface area
or collect more than 10% of a population of one species in one area.

Just use your logic on this one.

Rusty Mase

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
B.Server

wrote:

After a recent respite from the dry spell, I started noticing a while
lily bloom seem to pop up out of the ground. Don't know if this was
everywhere or only where I saw it (off Old Spicewood Springs Road).

After taking a look, I decided it resembles a Zephyranthes, which I had
a pink variety of in my old garden back in New Orleans. If this is what
it is, is there a reliable source for cultivated bulbs somewhere
locally? I don't want to dig (gasp!) but would really like this in my
white garden.

Can anyone help?

Rather than dig, you might drop by and collect 1-2 seed pods. They
will look like three peas joined at the hip and split to reveal black,
flakey seeds about 1/4 inch across. You will get 30-60 seeds from
two. They are easily grown from seed either in pots or sown. I keep
mine in pots for about 6 months and then transplant the small bulbs.

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Victor M. Martinez

We've bought and planted dozens of zephyranthes bulbs in our garden. IIRC,
Barton Springs, Gardens, and The Natural Gardener sell them (during season
I guess).

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
animaux

On Wed, 28 May 2003 09:05:46 -0500, Rusty Mase wrote:

This is the key of your statement:

(...)
I once even called the Harris County Flood
Control District to inquire if they were concerned with my doing this
and they actually encouraged it.

It is against the law to go onto private property, wild or not you have no way
of knowing, and remove plants. It goes against nature, means that, some animal
or other living thing may depend on that plant at that location.

Always ask before going on property to remove plants. It's the fair thing to
do.
Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Rusty Mase

On Wed, 28 May 2003 21:40:36 GMT, animaux
wrote:

It is against the law to go onto private property,

In Texas, that is not true. Only if it is fenced or there are No
Trepassing signs properly displayed. It is not illegal for someone
to walk across your front yard unless they have to jump a fence to do
so or you have the appropriate signage.

It goes against nature, means that, some animal
or other living thing may depend on that plant at that location.

Now that gets into being a little far fetched. If you take a bath and
use 20 gallons of water then how many plants and animals have you
killed in Lake Travis or Lake Austin? One whole bunch I guarantee.

Always ask before going on property to remove plants. It's the fair thing to
do.

That is true, if you can figure out who to ask or if it really looks
like it is going to make any real difference - like getting shot.

Taking a plant home and taking care of it, propogating it, and giving
some of it away to other gardeners is more like adopting an orphan and
raising a family to me.

Rusty Mase
(Do not take any of this as legal advice)