Old 29-05-2003, 05:56 PM
David

Default Doves

Anyone have any suggestions on legal ways to get rid of or limit dove
populations?

Old 29-05-2003, 07:34 PM
Minga

In article , David wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions on legal ways to get rid of or limit dove
populations?

In my neighborhood, people just drive their cars on the roads. And the
stupid doves dont seem to move out of the way. SPLAT.

SARCASM
We should all just drive more, and get bigger trucks.
or
Put them on the endangered species lists and let yuppies kill them
/SARCASM

P.S.
I have no idea how to answer your question, a discussion about how dumb
turtle doves are takes place in our house once a week.

Old 30-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Suzie-Q

David wrote:

Anyone have any suggestions on legal ways to get rid of or limit dove
populations?

You might get some advice on rec.birds.

8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.eckhardt.net/suzanne/
Due to the receipt of unmanagable amounts of SPAM,
I have had to add an extra letter to my e-mail
address. Remove the "x" to contact me directly.
Old 30-05-2003, 06:08 AM
Robbin

Cut down your trees?

Old 30-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Hope Munro Smith

"David" wrote in
:

Anyone have any suggestions on legal ways to get rid of or limit dove
populations?

One word: cats!

Old 30-05-2003, 04:44 PM
cat daddy

"David" wrote in message
Anyone have any suggestions on legal ways to get rid of or limit dove
populations?

Is there a reason you want to do this?

Old 30-05-2003, 05:08 PM
David

"cat daddy" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message
Anyone have any suggestions on legal ways to get rid of or limit dove
populations?

Is there a reason you want to do this?

Poop. Cooing.

I actually like song birds, but the repetitive cooing that doves makes
drives me crazy. I picture those little breeding flying rats out there
calling to their disease carrying mates to come and perpetuate their dirty
little species. I don't mind them so much in the wild but around my house
is another issue. Doves create unwanted noise pollution, their droppings
are acidic and bad for lawn / gardens, and they're known to carry disease.

Old 30-05-2003, 05:08 PM
David

"Hope Munro Smith" wrote in message
. 83...
"David" wrote in
:

Anyone have any suggestions on legal ways to get rid of or limit dove
populations?

One word: cats!

The only other animal I dislike more than doves ;0)

Old 30-05-2003, 06:08 PM
animaux

On Fri, 30 May 2003 11:00:43 -0500, "David" wrote:

Poop. Cooing.

I actually like song birds, but the repetitive cooing that doves makes
drives me crazy. I picture those little breeding flying rats out there
calling to their disease carrying mates to come and perpetuate their dirty
little species. I don't mind them so much in the wild but around my house
is another issue. Doves create unwanted noise pollution, their droppings
are acidic and bad for lawn / gardens, and they're known to carry disease.

You could always move to a boat on the ocean. That way nothing will bother you.
Old 30-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Wayfarer

LOVE CATS!! But we have a neighborhood full of both cats and white winged
doves, even my retriever tries for the doves with no luck -- now there is a
new flock of baby doves -- they are the rascals eating my tomatoes!!

Yes, I have tried the "AOL" disks without luck, netting (they get through
and after reading G a e X a v i e r's post I won't do that again anyway),
red "Christmas" balls, scare crow, nylon hose over each tomatoes (worked for
awhile then they just started pecking through), etc -- all without luck.

Someone in this newsgroup several years ago posted a solution that does seem
to help -- they said it was because the birds were hungry/thirsty and if
there was a bird bath and alternate food available they would go for them
and leave the tomatoes alone. So I have a bird bath and feeder. I quit
feeding this spring because it is so expensive and I am among the Austinites
looking for work. But something was getting every tomatoes just as it was
coming ripe. I started buying bird seed again and have gotten 5 tomatoes
now . . . yeah a couple are still getting pecked but at least I am getting
some now too.

--
Marta
(if you email me directly you need to remove the X )

Old 30-05-2003, 06:20 PM
David

wrote:

Poop. Cooing.

I actually like song birds, but the repetitive cooing that doves makes
drives me crazy. I picture those little breeding flying rats out there
calling to their disease carrying mates to come and perpetuate their

dirty
little species. I don't mind them so much in the wild but around my

house
is another issue. Doves create unwanted noise pollution, their droppings
are acidic and bad for lawn / gardens, and they're known to carry

disease.

You could always move to a boat on the ocean. That way nothing will

bother you.

That was constructive.

Old 31-05-2003, 01:32 AM
animaux

On Fri, 30 May 2003 12:10:10 -0500, "David" wrote:

That was constructive.

It was a pretty stupid question. Calling doves which mate for life flying rats
is far more offensive than anything I could have said about that post.
Old 31-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Carol Adams

There is a woman named Cheryl who works at Wildlife Rescue on Fridays (at
least she is doing so now). She is their bird expert, and she might have
some ideas. The number is 472-WILD and the phone is currently manned
weekdays 9 am - 3 pm. You can see more info at
http://www.volunteersolutions.org/au...e_173258.html.

However, I believe that if the doves like your property, even if you kill or
remove the current birds, more will come. It might be worth trying to think
through what is attracting them, and then think about how to make the area
less attractive.

Some people feel that cardboard images of owls and other birds of prey
discourage birds like doves. I don't know whether this works or not.

Good luck.

Old 31-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Tee News

just be thankful that you don't have grackels moving into your
neighborhood...I would take doves over them anytime!
Grackels are trying to move into our area but the doves are fighting back
from what I can see...
I hate grackels with a passion...if you discover a way to rid yourself of
the doves please share the method cos I'd love to blast these grackels from
the face of the earth!

. ..

Old 01-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Nell Reynolds

John suggested using moth balls to get rid of armadillos, and the rodent
control officer in Corpus Christi told us to use them to repel possums
(which they did) and other attic-infesting pests. Why don't you make some
mesh bags, fill them with moth balls, and hang them from the trees? Fairly
cheap, easy, and it just might work.

Nell S
"cat daddy" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message
Anyone have any suggestions on legal ways to get rid of or limit dove
populations?

Is there a reason you want to do this?

Pesky Collared Doves Johno United Kingdom 25 17-11-2012 09:17 AM
White Garden Doves for sale pigeonman007 Marketplace 1 24-12-2010 06:56 PM
Collared Doves MikeCT United Kingdom 25 12-04-2007 09:18 AM
Doves Padraig Garden Photos 0 20-03-2007 07:13 PM