Old 20-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Freeda

Default Deer ate my tomatoes

I got a few but they came in today and ate the rest. I'm figuring to build
a cage around the veges. If I lay some netting across the top that will
keep the birds out as well. Found this web site
http://www.mydeergarden.com any other ideas?

Old 21-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Freeda

B.Server wrote in :

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 20:15:09 -0500, Freeda wrote:

I got a few but they came in today and ate the rest. I'm figuring to
build a cage around the veges. If I lay some netting across the top
that will keep the birds out as well. Found this web site
http://www.mydeergarden.com any other ideas?

Venison.

out of season! besides I don't want to upset my neighbors over a few
tomatoes.
Old 21-06-2003, 02:44 PM
N. Woolley

Ten foot tall fence.

-Nancy

Old 21-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Amy

I have netting around my garden but not over the top - remember, you want to
allow some wildlife in (like bees) to allow for pollination. The drawback
of netting is that a couple of lizards have fallen victim and have gotten
caught in the netting

Old 21-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Roger\X\

It was my first instinct to post "There is no solution", for I live in
a rural area (on a farm) and over the years I have tried everything-
-including an 8ft fence. . .but a fence this high is hard to maintain
and was a problem from the get-go.

The one thing I have found that works is an electric fence. Hey!!I'm
not talking something that will hurt a child, or one of your pets.
You can buy a fence charger that is used to keep your pet in your
yard. You only need one wire. . .it should be set just a little
higher than your largest pet, but where the deer will get against it,
while trying to get into your garden.

Deer love roses, up until put this wire up about 4 years ago,
everytime I would go on vacation they would wipe me out. Since the
wire has been up, I have not lost a one. They also love apples. . .I
also havea wire around my orchard, with 100% success.

Have a good day. .Roger

Old 21-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Steve Wertz

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 19:46:44 -0500, Freeda wrote:

B.Server wrote in :

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 20:15:09 -0500, Freeda wrote:

I got a few but they came in today and ate the rest. I'm figuring to
build a cage around the veges. If I lay some netting across the top
that will keep the birds out as well. Found this web site
http://www.mydeergarden.com any other ideas?

Venison.

out of season! besides I don't want to upset my neighbors over a few
tomatoes.

Is not just for tomatoes *and* venison...

Old 23-06-2003, 03:20 AM
B.Server

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 16:19:28 GMT, "Roger\"X\""
wrote:

[...]

The one thing I have found that works is an electric fence. Hey!!I'm
not talking something that will hurt a child, or one of your pets.
You can buy a fence charger that is used to keep your pet in your
yard. You only need one wire. . .it should be set just a little
higher than your largest pet, but where the deer will get against it,
while trying to get into your garden.

[...]

Have a good day. .Roger

Both the pets and the kids will learn about an electric fence. Some
of them are nearly as educatable as the deer. Unfortunately, there
are a lot of cities run by folks who figure either that kids (their's
probably) are too dumb to avoid a second zap or that it will warp
their little psyche and turn them all into republicans or something.
Bottom line is that it is a risky bet inside most city limits. (only
slightly less objectionable than my original suggestion; -venison)
Old 23-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Spam-A-Ram-A

Our neighbor across the street connected a hose with a proximity detector.
(Probably something she purchased, I'll ask.)

Sure scared my honey when she went "raiding" for herbs one night!

Old 25-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Roger\X\

Okay, I was the one that suggested the electic fence. I will make a
couple more comments and bow out. First if you live in down town New
York, I wouldn't suggest an electric fence- -you will have to just
live with the deer problem there, orany other Metro area.

The reason I wanted to mention the children or pets is "I don't want
some Dumb-ass to run a dangerous fence like a 110V wire."

Now on the us of a proximity detector. I built me one out of a motion
detector and two old smoke alarms. It worked fine for a while, but I
had troubble keeping batteries in them. After about a month they
would eat my roses and listen to the music!!!

Have a good one, and protect our kids- - -they are worth it. .
..RogerX.

Old 28-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Freeda

I've got a lone and frankly kind of sickly plant left that may ripen.
I've decided that since the plant is in a pot, I'll move it to the porch
when it starts to ripen. It's a bit shady, but figure it wont hurt it
too much. Of course if the deer walk up the stairs and onto the porch
I'll probably have a real mess to deal with.

For next year I plan on a proper raised bed with a sturdy wire fence.
I'll cover the top with chicken wire to keep crows out. I'll also bury
some chicken wire to help deal with the underground varmits.

Man gardening was easy in northern California!

Free

"Roger\"X\"" wrote in
: