Old 03-09-2003, 11:02 PM
jan

Default clover?

I am hoping to get some help with a lawn problem. For years now I have had
what I think is a clover growing in my Bermuda. It has yellow flowers and
clover like leaves. I don't want it and have tried getting rid of it
organically and finally with herbicide and the stuff is still there.

I can send anyone a picture who thinks they may be able to identify this for
me. I hope someone can give me the answer as to how to get rid of it. JAN

Old 04-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Texensis

"WhistleAss" wrote in message
| "jan" wrote in message
| I am hoping to get some help with a lawn problem. For years now I
have
| had
| what I think is a clover growing in my Bermuda. It has yellow
flowers and
| clover like leaves. I don't want it and have tried getting rid of
it
| organically and finally with herbicide and the stuff is still
there.

| I can send anyone a picture who thinks they may be able to
identify this
| for
| me. I hope someone can give me the answer as to how to get rid of
it.
| JAN
|

| Oxalis.
|
| Dig.

Easty to pull out; usually dries up seasonally in the summer.

Old 04-09-2003, 08:42 PM
jamie

jan wrote:
I am hoping to get some help with a lawn problem. For years now I have had
what I think is a clover growing in my Bermuda. It has yellow flowers and
clover like leaves. I don't want it and have tried getting rid of it
organically and finally with herbicide and the stuff is still there.

Clover doesn't have yellow flowers, and it has round/oval leaves.
I expect you mean oxalis (wood sorrel, aka sourgrass or sour trefoil),
which has heart-shaped leaves and yellow flowers.

Roundup concentrate applied carefully with a Q-tip to a few leaves per
plant wiped it out in my garden.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Old 04-09-2003, 09:07 PM
Victor M. Martinez

jamie wrote:
I expect you mean oxalis (wood sorrel, aka sourgrass or sour trefoil),
which has heart-shaped leaves and yellow flowers.

I've never seen oxalis with yellow flowers, only pink and white.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 04-09-2003, 10:10 PM
dt

animaux wrote:

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 19:42:07 +0000 (UTC), (Victor M.
Martinez) opined:

jamie wrote:

I expect you mean oxalis (wood sorrel, aka sourgrass or sour trefoil),
which has heart-shaped leaves and yellow flowers.

I've never seen oxalis with yellow flowers, only pink and white.

The wild, uncultivated has yellow flowers. He

http://www.calflora.net/bloomingplants/wildoxalis.html

Victoria

P.S. I have it coming up everywhere all season, including winter and insects
which stick around through the winter depend on it for nectar. Personally, I
love it. I have it combined with frog fruit.

We grew up calling it "pickle clover" because of the little seed pods,
which, by the way, are edible:
http://www.cloudnet.com/~djeans/FlwPlant/YWdSorrel.htm

At least in small quantities, due to the oxalic acid content.

DT

Old 06-09-2003, 04:12 AM
CowboyBob

"jan" wrote in message
I am hoping to get some help with a lawn problem. For years now I have

had
what I think is a clover growing in my Bermuda. It has yellow flowers and
clover like leaves. I don't want it and have tried getting rid of it
organically and finally with herbicide and the stuff is still there.

I can send anyone a picture who thinks they may be able to identify this

for
me. I hope someone can give me the answer as to how to get rid of it.

JAN

Yellow flowered clover is difficult to eradicate. (Oxalis, which some have
suggested may be what you have, is not - it has small bulb-like roots and
can be dug out fairly easily.)

Clover is a hay crop and has spread across much of the us, including almost
all of Texas. More info on clover (including several yellow flowered
varieties) can be found at:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~weeds/w...fabaceae_4.htm

CowBoy Bob