Old 24-10-2003, 02:12 PM
animaux

Default Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 02:22:58 GMT, ddaquaria opined:

That is wonderful. I like to hear people getting pleasure from their tanks.
Here is a picture of one of my tanks (the angel tank).
http://petsforum.com/cas/Gallery.html
Select the picture for a larger view. I plan to post more members' tanks
this weekend.
I'm ddaquaria.

Yes, my husband never spends money on himself and I go full hog on plants,
compost, plants, plants, plants! I LOVE when he expresses interest in something
and I embrace it with passion. He really does love the tank and it's a
beautiful part of our living room. Your tank looks beautiful, as does Victor's.

I noticed you have a large piece of driftwood in there. I have driftwood which
I collected from Lake Lewisville when we lived up there in Dallas. Can I use
that in the tank? If so, does it need to be cleaned in any particular way or is
that wood not real in your tank? I need something to build height at the back
of the tank.

So, shrimp. Are they food for fish?

They can be. When you have shrimp in a tank, they need cover otherwise they
get eaten. They can even be eaten with a lot of cover. I put 20 ghost
shrimp in my angel tank last Friday, and the only 4 I have seen had jumped
out. Otherwise I think the others have been devoured.

The other option is Singapore shrimp (or fan shrimp). These are usually
larger in size and fend for themselves very well in a tank. Cost about
$8-10 at a local fish store (LFS). They are filter feeders a like to hang
out near the filter. So far the two I have in my angel tank have been their
for about 2 years.

big D

I'll look into it. One of our lemon tetras didn't make it, yesterday. I wonder
why. I get so upset. Some people think I'm crazy, they say "it's only a fish"
but to me it's a life. Life is life. I fuss over my plants too!

Thanks for all the indulgence in this subject. I mean, this is not exactly a
fast paced group! A little OT never hurt anyone, and we are talking about
plants.

victoria
Old 25-10-2003, 01:22 AM
Victor Martinez

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:38:46 GMT

I noticed you have a large piece of driftwood in there. I have driftwood which
I collected from Lake Lewisville when we lived up there in Dallas. Can I use
that in the tank? If so, does it need to be cleaned in any particular way or is
that wood not real in your tank? I need something to build height at the back
of the tank.

Wood makes a wonderful addition to a tank, plus it helps soften and
acidify our hard and alkaline water. You might want to boil the wood for
a few hours and then let it soak, weighted down until it no longer floats.

I'll look into it. One of our lemon tetras didn't make it, yesterday. I wonder
why. I get so upset. Some people think I'm crazy, they say "it's only a fish"
but to me it's a life. Life is life. I fuss over my plants too!

So do I. However, fish do die a bit often, sometimes it's my fault,
sometimes it's their fault (suicide by jumping). I love aquaria because
it gives me a chance to develop a tiny ecosystem that I try to make as
balanced as possible.

Thanks for all the indulgence in this subject. I mean, this is not exactly a
fast paced group! A little OT never hurt anyone, and we are talking about
plants.

Indeed. Plus folks can easily kill a thread they're not interested in.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Email me he

Old 25-10-2003, 10:32 PM
animaux

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:38:46 GMT, Victor Martinez opined:

Wood makes a wonderful addition to a tank, plus it helps soften and
acidify our hard and alkaline water. You might want to boil the wood for
a few hours and then let it soak, weighted down until it no longer floats.

What about the larger pieces? Can I solarize them in the sun inside a clear
plastic bag with some water in it?

So do I. However, fish do die a bit often, sometimes it's my fault,
sometimes it's their fault (suicide by jumping). I love aquaria because
it gives me a chance to develop a tiny ecosystem that I try to make as
balanced as possible.

That's how I feel. We have more than sufficient room for the inch number of
fish we have. We could probably fit 75 more fish in there, but I'll only do
that if it's balanced. The pond outside seems to strike a balance with no help
from us, but the aquarium is a bit different. I will say it is ten times easier
to care for a large aquarium than it was for the 30 gal.

One other thing; while at Petsmart today I noticed they were selling dwarf mondo
(Ophiopogon) in the plant area. I was not aware it could be used as a water
plant. If it is, I would love to dig out a patch of the black dwarf mondo I
have and use that. Have you heard anything about this plant being submerged?

Indeed. Plus folks can easily kill a thread they're not interested in.

Oh that would be way too difficult. They'd much rather complain!
Old 25-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Victor Martinez

animaux wrote:
What about the larger pieces? Can I solarize them in the sun inside a clear
plastic bag with some water in it?

Or a large bucket or even in your pond!

from us, but the aquarium is a bit different. I will say it is ten times easier
to care for a large aquarium than it was for the 30 gal.

Indeed, the larger the tank the easier it is to maintain.

(Ophiopogon) in the plant area. I was not aware it could be used as a water
plant. If it is, I would love to dig out a patch of the black dwarf mondo I
have and use that. Have you heard anything about this plant being submerged?

They often sell it as such, but it's not a true aquatic plant. It will
survive for a while and then die.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 26-10-2003, 02:32 AM
animaux

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 21:26:25 GMT, Victor Martinez opined:

They often sell it as such, but it's not a true aquatic plant. It will
survive for a while and then die.

Ophiopogon in an aquarium

Eh, that's what I thought.

Three months ago when we were going to buy this expensive set up, my SIL had a
55 gallon tank. She was going to give it to us because she didn't want it any
more. She has breeding chiclids (sp?) and, yadda, yadda, yadda, and her 10 year
old daughter freaked out because she loved the fish. Now that daughter has a
ginuea pig and doesn't want the fish any more. She just called and asked if we
want the tank. She would have saved us almost a thousand dollars!

Eh.

I love our tank. It really is our little indoor masterpiece. Our macaw loves
to sit and watch the fish for hours! So cute.

Victoria