Old 31-12-2003, 03:05 AM
animaux

Default HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!echo echo echo echo...

I don't think it's been this quiet in here in years! Where is everyone?

I had to water my garden today. The bluebonnets are wanting to bloom, some
irises are blooming and my redbuds are budding and blooming. There were red
admirals at the mud puddle and on the lantana, which is all still blooming. I
don't think we've had a frost up here in NE Round Rock. Not on this hill,
anyway.

I'm going to start seeds this weekend and pot some things up for sale to the
nurseries and get seeds ready to trade.

If anyone is reading this, do you think it is a good time to move the following:

Mexican buckeye
Evergreen Sumac
Apple tree (yearling)
Yucca (several different forms, completely pupped and ready to give birth)

If not now, when would you move these? Would you wait it out till next fall?

V-Happy New Year folks.
Old 31-12-2003, 03:35 AM
Victor Martinez

animaux wrote:
I don't think it's been this quiet in here in years! Where is everyone?

On vacation perhaps? A cold place with snow I hope...

I had to water my garden today. The bluebonnets are wanting to bloom, some
irises are blooming and my redbuds are budding and blooming. There were red

Ha! We have a water lilly with a brand new bloom in the pond, if you can
believe that.

admirals at the mud puddle and on the lantana, which is all still blooming. I
don't think we've had a frost up here in NE Round Rock. Not on this hill,
anyway.

We've had our share of frosts, most things that freeze already have.

Mexican buckeye
Evergreen Sumac
Apple tree (yearling)
Yucca (several different forms, completely pupped and ready to give birth)

Yes to all.

Have fun!

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 31-12-2003, 02:59 PM
cat daddy

"animaux" wrote in message
I don't think it's been this quiet in here in years! Where is everyone?

I had hoped obsessive compost building had ended with the Mt. Everest of
heaps, until I happened upon another 75 bags of leaves. It took a while, but
I now have Vesuvius going in the backyard. Pretty cool on these cold
mornings....
The ground was frosty this morning for the first time, only the bananas
are damaged, and the wild iris and others are putting up new tips. I have
salvia blooming and butterflies...
I watered a couple of days ago, as well........... We're supposedly a
foot low for the year.

I had to water my garden today. The bluebonnets are wanting to bloom, some
irises are blooming and my redbuds are budding and blooming. There were

red
admirals at the mud puddle and on the lantana, which is all still

blooming. I
don't think we've had a frost up here in NE Round Rock. Not on this hill,
anyway.

snip

Old 31-12-2003, 02:59 PM
J Kolenovsky

I had Davey Tree dump a free load of wood chips by the prairie the City
is letting me establish. Had to take a hired hand and go spread it out.
It was charring on the inside night after it rained and got the green
stuff wet. Didn't want some uninformed person calling the fire dept not
knowing what's going on. (that HAS happened once before)

cat daddy wrote:
=

"animaux" wrote in message
[...]

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

Old 31-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Texensis

"animaux" wrote in message
| I don't think it's been this quiet in here in years! Where is
everyone?

Watching sulphurs, admirals, and gulf fritillaries. Also enjoying
blooming paperwhite narcissi. The ones that do best are ones forced in
pots long ago and then just dumped any old place, where they've
divided over the years. There's been no hard freeze even yet, although
lantanas in some corners have been burned. Pink oxalis is blooming and
geraniums (pelargoniums) in pots are going to town. Thunbergia is in
full bloom also. Lettuce is ready for the table. Bulbs are up,
including Dutch iris and many narcissi/jonquils/daffodils (but not
hyacinths yet). Anemones are showing leaves. Fall-seeded annuals are
progressing. Old-fashioned trailing/climbing nasturtiums are in heavy
bloom. Basil in pots has been toted in and out of the house a few
times. Seed catalogues are arriving. Loquat flowers are full of
honeybees most days. No signs yet of species tulips.

Old 31-12-2003, 03:13 PM
animaux

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 03:34:01 GMT, Victor Martinez opined:

On vacation perhaps? A cold place with snow I hope...

We did that a few years ago. We drove to the Grand Canyon and spent Christmas
there. It was magnificent with the snow, but 5 degrees during the day! Not
much star gazing at night, unfortunately.

Ha! We have a water lilly with a brand new bloom in the pond, if you can
believe that.

Holy cow! My 'Baby Doll' lotus is starting to grow. The fish have not stopped
eating, and, well, I hope for the sake of the plants we don't get hit too badly.

Mexican buckeye
Evergreen Sumac
Apple tree (yearling)
Yucca (several different forms, completely pupped and ready to give birth)

Yes to all.

Have fun!

Great! I have to move things because, as usual, I over planted. Easy to do
when you buy gallon plants which grow to ten feet or more! My evergreen sumac
went from a 2 foot whip to an 8 foot tree(!) in one year!

Next week I'm going to move them. Thanks.

Old 31-12-2003, 03:14 PM
Texensis

Old 31-12-2003, 03:14 PM
animaux

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:24:49 -0600, "cat daddy" opined:

I had hoped obsessive compost building had ended with the Mt. Everest of
heaps, until I happened upon another 75 bags of leaves. It took a while, but
I now have Vesuvius going in the backyard. Pretty cool on these cold
mornings....
The ground was frosty this morning for the first time, only the bananas
are damaged, and the wild iris and others are putting up new tips. I have
salvia blooming and butterflies...
I watered a couple of days ago, as well........... We're supposedly a
foot low for the year.

We were down in town at Half Price Books on Guadalupe (can't pass their 20%
sale) and I saw all those bags everywhere. Unfortunately, we were in my
husbands Accord. Drat. I'm going to go out next week hunting for leaves. Then
I will go to Zilker to get my tons and tone of pine tree shreds. I didn't see
them mention a day when the public can start taking the free mulch, have you?

Old 31-12-2003, 03:17 PM
grubber

"animaux" wrote in message
I don't think it's been this quiet in here in years! Where is everyone?

I'm converting a 60x60 area of sparse grass into a pond/garden. I've
transplanted three desert willows and a pomegranate from too shady locations
into the full sun with soaker hose buried under 6" of a 8/3/1 blend of
hardwood mulch/composted cow poop/decomposed granite. I also have mutabalis
and marilyn monroe roses, various salvias, lantanas, greg's blue mist,
yellow bells, plumbago, mexican flame vine and passion flower on trellises
and probably a few other things I can't remember.

All this is around the 15x30 hand dug hole that will become a pond in the
next month. It will also have a 6x6 raised veggie filter/waterfall in the
middle of the plantings so I can easily drain the sludge onto the flowers.
The excavated dirt has been used to raise the level of the surrounding yard,
which is good because 24" down there is one solid slab of bedrock over the
entire area of the pond, and presumably farther. The raised soil has been
planted with white clover and wildflower mix. Because of the bedrock, the
pond isn't as deep as I would like, but I have a small pond at that depth
that hasn't lost any fish due to cold, so I'll live with it and hopefully
the koi will too.

Other than that, I haven't been doing much gardening.

Happy New Year to all!

Old 31-12-2003, 03:17 PM
Whit

Victor Martinez wrote:

animaux wrote:
I don't think it's been this quiet in here in years! Where is everyone?

On vacation perhaps? A cold place with snow I hope...

Two weeks off, staying home this year. I've been busy doing other junk,
organized the garage, getting ready for yard sale, built shelves, found
the floor! )

I had to water my garden today. The bluebonnets are wanting to bloom, some
irises are blooming and my redbuds are budding and blooming. There were red

Ha! We have a water lilly with a brand new bloom in the pond, if you can
believe that.

I haven't done much to my garden except look at it and think about
what's next. Is this a good time to relocate natives like big muhly,
lantana etc? This'll be my 'xeriscaped' gardens 2nd full spring coming
up and as things are filling out I see that I could have placed things
better.

admirals at the mud puddle and on the lantana, which is all still blooming. I
don't think we've had a frost up here in NE Round Rock. Not on this hill,
anyway.

We've had our share of frosts, most things that freeze already have.

We had a touch of rime the other morning, a few of the tender plants
lost some leaves in the freeze a few weeks ago, but mostly doing well. I
have a cherry tomato plant that is *still* bearing fruit! It's a "Tiny
Tom" I got from the farmers market on S. Congress, I planted it last
March and prettymuch ignored it- I've picked well over 200 little
tomatoes off this little plant since! Is it possible to dry a tomato to
get the seed? I'd love another of these and it would be fun to try to
grow it from seed.

Thanks for asking )