Old 01-02-2004, 10:35 PM
jamie

Default where did all those wild vegies go ?

Michelle wrote:
Have we imbread cultivated food plants that they just don't grow wild
where did all the wild plants go that we cultivated modern vegetables
from?

Some are quite common, you just don't recognize them. Queen Anne's Lace,
for example, is wild carrot. The taproot is quite small, but recognizably
smells like a carrot, although it isn't sweet like cultivated ones.
It's not orange, either, but cultivated carrots in other parts of the
world come in red, yellow, white, and I think purple.

You may see wild lettuces, but they don't look like lettuce once they've
grown a flower stalk. Cultivated lettuce is picked early, because later
it develops a bitter sap. Maize, before being bred to our large-eared
corn, was more like a large grass.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Old 01-02-2004, 11:15 PM
Elliot Richmond

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 00:46:09 -0600, B-0b1 wrote:

-- My apologies for the "top Posting" but since Elliot seems as a blathering
yet articulate Moron

You don't know me well enough to call me a moron. Only my friends are
allowed to do that.

But here's an offer. Sign up for a real science class at your local
community college. At Austin Community College, there are several
courses available, such as astronomy, geology, physics, that sort of
thing. The instructors are all highly qualified professionals. The
tuition is low. You have nothing to lose and much to gain.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor

Old 02-02-2004, 02:02 AM
Michelle

On 1 Feb 2004 21:28:52 GMT, (jamie)
wrote:

Michelle wrote:
Have we imbread cultivated food plants that they just don't grow wild
where did all the wild plants go that we cultivated modern vegetables
from?

Some are quite common, you just don't recognize them. Queen Anne's Lace,
for example, is wild carrot.

Hey that's cool Can you eat eat queen ann's lace?
Is there a good book on things in nature that you can eat and what
they look like ?
or a web site?
I knew the thing about the letus I have grown many types of leaf and
head letus and after a while It is time to take it out because it
tastes like crap. I have been growing and caring for a garden alll
of my life My mother was a Missouri Farm girl and she grew every
thing under the sun you could put in a salad or boil and mash turnips
potatoes and all kinds of melons and peppers one year my dad said
that's it this isn't a share croping organization she had half the
back yard plowed and all the flower beds growing vegies and all around
the fence we never had to by any thing from the produce stand unless
it grew on a tree or it wasnt' 'the right climate for it .
on the bright side my dad hardely had to mow any of the three quarter
acre lot we lived on
the only thing that came back year after year was the peppers and
potatoes and cherry tomatoes
this thread is very intresting

Old 04-02-2004, 01:08 AM
B-0b1

see be;ow

Elliot Richmond wrote:

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 00:46:09 -0600, B-0b1 wrote:

-- My apologies for the "top Posting" but since Elliot seems as a blathering
yet articulate Moron

You don't know me well enough to call me a moron. Only my friends are
allowed to do that.

But here's an offer. Sign up for a real science class at your local
community college. At Austin Community College, there are several
courses available, such as astronomy, geology, physics, that sort of
thing. The instructors are all highly qualified professionals. The
tuition is low. You have nothing to lose and much to gain.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor

LOL..Elliot..I already have a BS, Ms and TWO Ph.d's
During my "10 yrs as a consultant I made aprox 30 grand a week.
..you see it right...that's over 120 grand a month! It wore me out but
I enjoyed every second of itLOL! ( 7 days and 70 hr shifts yet) B-0b1

--
"Beaten Paths are for Beaten People". -- Anon.

Old 04-02-2004, 01:09 AM
B-0b1

see below

wrote:

Michelle wrote:
[...]

Queen Anne's Lace is a very valuable and HEALING herbal.. don't knock it
unless you've tried it ( "ye leafy portion") in an healing elixir. B-0b1

--
"Beaten Paths are for Beaten People". -- Anon.

Old 04-02-2004, 01:17 AM
B-0b1

see below

wrote:

Michelle wrote:
Have we imbread cultivated food plants that they just don't grow wild
where did all the wild plants go that we cultivated modern vegetables
from?

Some are quite common, you just don't recognize them. Queen Anne's Lace,
for example, is wild carrot.

Hey that's cool Can you eat eat queen ann's lace?

In most of Texas, the plant that looks like (and is sometimes called) Queen
Anne's Lace is NOT Wild Carrot, but hemlock. If the roots smell like
carrot, it's Wild Carrot, but the local plant smells bitter and is
poisonous. Wild Carrot does grow in parts of east Texas.

http://website.lineone.net/~stolarczyk/queen.html

Yes DO be careful that you KNOW exactly what you're using as there are MANY
"look alkes" in the horticultural world. As Socrates said: "I drank what??"
There also is a "would be "yummy" looking wild leafy green Plant that Grows
all around this . area...yet . is ONE absolutely a ZINGER of a Laxative!!
LYAO...B-0b1

--
"Beaten Paths are for Beaten People". -- Anon.

Old 04-02-2004, 03:01 AM
Elliot Richmond

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:03:31 -0600, B-0b1 wrote:

LOL..Elliot..I already have a BS, Ms and TWO Ph.d's

Good. You should not have any difficulty succeeding in a real science
class then. Good luck.

Old 04-02-2004, 03:22 PM
N. Woolley

There also is a "would be "yummy" looking wild leafy green Plant that
Grows all around this . area...yet . is ONE absolutely a ZINGER of a
Laxative!!

Out of curiosity...What plant are you referring to?

And Michelle,
Hemlock can really, really kill you dead. Do check out the Useful Wild
Plant website. They offer "Weedfeed" a couple times a year and you
really need to learn what you are doing before you go out and start
putting things in your mouth.

-Nancy
CAMN

Vegies from seed Brerfox Australia 6 21-06-2005 09:18 AM
Eucalypts and vegies Timbo Australia 1 27-04-2005 09:29 AM
How are the vegies, everyone? Chookie Australia 15 28-07-2004 10:47 PM
where did all those wild vegies go? Michelle Gardening 26 31-01-2004 05:42 PM
winter vegies Luke Australia 6 13-05-2003 02:32 PM