Old 04-02-2004, 04:34 PM
Elliot Richmond

Default where did all those wild vegies go ?

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 15:18:02 GMT, "N. Woolley"
wrote:

Hemlock can really, really kill you dead. Do check out the Useful Wild
Plant website. They offer "Weedfeed" a couple times a year and you
really need to learn what you are doing before you go out and start
putting things in your mouth.

Absolutely sound advice. However, water hemlock smells nasty,
especially if the leaves are bruised. You probably would not want to
eat it. Wild carrots smell like, well, carrots.

Remember Euell Gibbons? Actual quote, "There's nothing I'd rather do
than eat my way through a roadside ditch!" His books are still
available, but he had that sort of evangelistic fervor that puts some
people off.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor

Old 04-02-2004, 07:29 PM
N. Woolley

I love eating cat briar. That amazes most people. I remember "Stalking
the Wild Asparagus".

-Nancy W.

Old 04-02-2004, 07:32 PM
N. Woolley

Old 04-02-2004, 08:32 PM
dt

N. Woolley wrote:

I love eating cat briar. That amazes most people. I remember "Stalking
the Wild Asparagus".

-Nancy W.

So, what part, and how do you fix it? I've got a couple acres of the stuff.

DT

Old 04-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Rusty Mase

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 14:18:59 -0600, dt
wrote:
N. Woolley wrote:
I love eating cat briar.

So, what part, and how do you fix it? I've got a couple acres of the stuff.

Mostly in the spring when the tender new growth emerges. It has a
nice peppery taste. Just pince off the new growth and eat it. You
can wander through the woods around here in the spring and have a real
good feast on cat briar (Smilax bona-nox) salad. There are bigger
species in East Texas and they have the same value.

Rusty Mase
Old 05-02-2004, 03:02 AM
Michelle

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 15:18:02 GMT, "N. Woolley"

I don't plan to put anything in my mouth any time soon unless I
purchase it at my grocer or I grow it my self I just found this topic
pretty neat and I'm well aware of the nature of hemlock and I can
identify most don't eats in my area which is pennsylvania and my
previous home Tennessee .
Don't wory I'm not going to show up on one of those ER programs on TLC
I do tend to stick my nose in lots of nooks and crannies though and
one day I might get it bitten off by a ssnake or somthing though if I
don't watch it
:- )
Michele
Old 05-02-2004, 03:32 AM
Michelle

wow actually I did not know that hemlock was also a name for a plant
that looked like queen ann's lace in my neck of the woods hemlock is a
conifer I used to have one out side of my house had short needles and
a light line down the middle of each a pretty tree dropped a lot of
needles though
michelle
On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 15:16:05 -0600, Rusty Mase wrote:

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 14:18:59 -0600, dt
wrote:
I love eating cat briar.

Old 05-02-2004, 04:12 AM
Elliot Richmond

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 22:13:18 -0500, Michelle
wrote:

wow actually I did not know that hemlock was also a name for a plant
that looked like queen ann's lace in my neck of the woods hemlock is a
conifer I used to have one out side of my house had short needles and
a light line down the middle of each a pretty tree dropped a lot of
needles though

That's a completely different plant with no connection to the water
hemlocks. I don't know why they are both called hemlocks.

Old 05-02-2004, 03:02 PM
N. Woolley

Just pinch off the very tender tips when it's in active growth. Good in
salads.

-Nancy W.

Vegies from seed Brerfox Australia 6 21-06-2005 09:18 AM
Eucalypts and vegies Timbo Australia 1 27-04-2005 09:29 AM
How are the vegies, everyone? Chookie Australia 15 28-07-2004 10:47 PM
where did all those wild vegies go? Michelle Gardening 26 31-01-2004 05:42 PM
winter vegies Luke Australia 6 13-05-2003 02:32 PM