Old 18-09-2004, 07:09 PM
jOhN

Default Leaf drop

Howdy,
It seems that there is a relatively high rate of leaf drop from assorted
live oaks on my property. A slow but steady trickle that accumulates of
the driveway, patio, and hot tub cover. None of them show the specific
signs of oak wilt as depicted on this link.

http://www.forestryimages.org/images...12/0758075.jpg

The leaves that drop can be all brown, all green, brown or green with
assorted discolorations or deformations. A couple of dozen variants from
each tree.

The trees don't really look bare regarding leaf coverage.

Could this be due to our weirdo summer weather this year?

john
Old 18-09-2004, 10:14 PM
escapee

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:09:09 GMT, jOhN opined:

Howdy,
It seems that there is a relatively high rate of leaf drop from assorted
live oaks on my property. A slow but steady trickle that accumulates of
the driveway, patio, and hot tub cover. None of them show the specific
signs of oak wilt as depicted on this link.

http://www.forestryimages.org/images...12/0758075.jpg

The leaves that drop can be all brown, all green, brown or green with
assorted discolorations or deformations. A couple of dozen variants from
each tree.

The trees don't really look bare regarding leaf coverage.

Could this be due to our weirdo summer weather this year?

john

If these are large trees, call an arborist immediately.

Old 22-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Andyd

I believe it is just that time of year. I used to worry about my
Red/Spanish Oaks dropping leaves in late summer/early fall when before
most of my neighbors, but then as I looked about town I noticed that
some were just starting to lose their leaves. Yes, it seems to be a
slow trickle, especially noticable if you have a pool that they hang
over like I do.

andyd

Old 24-09-2004, 01:36 PM
escapee

Did you look at the photo he provided? That is not normal.

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:13:25 GMT, Andyd opined:

Old 26-09-2004, 08:27 AM
jOhN

The picture link I included was an example of oak wilt and, as noted, is
NOT what any of my dropped leaves look like.
I have since cruised my neighborhood and saw that many of the live oaks
were shedding leaves in a fashion similar to those in my yard. I think
Andyd is right in that it is a normal tree function.

escapee wrote:
[...]

Drop one drop per day for one phalaenopsis? Markjump Orchids 0 07-01-2013 08:47 PM
Meyer's Lemon Leaf Damage and Drop TQ Edible Gardening 3 11-02-2006 07:03 PM
Rose "leaf drop"? Jim White United Kingdom 2 29-06-2004 03:17 PM
Ash tree leaf drop rile Gardening 4 17-05-2004 06:02 AM
Solanum Jasminoides - leaf drop. Zo United Kingdom 5 06-07-2003 10:51 AM