Old 02-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Willie Buck Merle

Default Gnats in House ~ 1st Timer

Gnats in House ~ 1st Timer

Hello Everybody,

Happy holidays and hope you are doing well. We're having a first-time
gnat infestation (6 year-old home) and would appreciate some advice. I
first noticed the problem at a window sill the last week of Nov while
I was setting up the xmas tree. We didn't seem to have noticed
anything then but now it is annoying enough. Where are some other
places they might nest?... Tommorrow I'm going to check out everything
and wouldn't mind some directions (Mr. Brady?), TIA.

agp
010205
Old 02-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Suzie-Q

In article ,
Willie Buck Merle wrote:

- Gnats in House ~ 1st Timer
-
- Hello Everybody,
-
- Happy holidays and hope you are doing well. We're having a first-time
- gnat infestation (6 year-old home) and would appreciate some advice. I
- first noticed the problem at a window sill the last week of Nov while
- I was setting up the xmas tree. We didn't seem to have noticed
- anything then but now it is annoying enough. Where are some other
- places they might nest?... Tommorrow I'm going to check out everything
- and wouldn't mind some directions (Mr. Brady?), TIA.
-
- agp
- 010205

Post this to news:alt.consumers.pest-control
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
***Revelation 22:12*** ICQ: 349878998
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
Old 02-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Elliot Richmond

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 12:30:52 -0600, Willie Buck Merle
wrote:

Happy holidays and hope you are doing well. We're having a first-time
gnat infestation (6 year-old home) and would appreciate some advice. I
first noticed the problem at a window sill the last week of Nov while
I was setting up the xmas tree. We didn't seem to have noticed
anything then but now it is annoying enough. Where are some other
places they might nest?... Tommorrow I'm going to check out everything
and wouldn't mind some directions (Mr. Brady?), TIA.

Are they edible?

Seriously, this question could be on topic is they are fruit flies,
which is a good possibility. Did you receive a gift of citrus fruit
from the Valley? Fruit flies are as tiny as gnats.

If fruit flies are the problem, just make sure all of your fruit,
especially bananas, are in sealed containers or the fridge. The fruit
flies will all die in a few days.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor
Old 02-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Katra

In article ,
Willie Buck Merle wrote:

Gnats in House ~ 1st Timer

Hello Everybody,

Happy holidays and hope you are doing well. We're having a first-time
gnat infestation (6 year-old home) and would appreciate some advice. I
first noticed the problem at a window sill the last week of Nov while
I was setting up the xmas tree. We didn't seem to have noticed
anything then but now it is annoying enough. Where are some other
places they might nest?... Tommorrow I'm going to check out everything
and wouldn't mind some directions (Mr. Brady?), TIA.

agp
010205

They are most likely fruit flies...

The best control is to eliminate whatever is attracting them.

Clean out your compost bucket daily and make sure it has a tight fitting
lid, and keep all your fresh fruit in the refrigerator.

I make fruit fly traps with a wine bottle. Mix about 1 inch of wine and
1 inch of any type of fruit juice in the bottom of the bottle, stick it
in a corner somewhere out of the way and forget about it until it needs
re-filling. The flies go into the bottle after the juice and drown.

I have a pet cockatoo I feed citrus fruit to so this creates a mild
problem. The traps work well to keep them under control.

Hope this helps?!?!? :-)

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 02-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Catbird

"Willie Buck Merle" wrote in message
Gnats in House ~ 1st Timer

Hello Everybody,

Happy holidays and hope you are doing well. We're having a first-time
gnat infestation (6 year-old home) and would appreciate some advice. I
first noticed the problem at a window sill the last week of Nov while
I was setting up the xmas tree. We didn't seem to have noticed
anything then but now it is annoying enough. Where are some other
places they might nest?... Tommorrow I'm going to check out everything
and wouldn't mind some directions (Mr. Brady?), TIA.

Sometimes if you bring your outdoor potted plants indoors or over-water, you
find you have this type of problem. Happened to me once. Yes, they head for
the biggest light source - your window. Fruit flies seem to like to stay on
or close to the source of the food. Fungus gnats are probably what you have.

--
Catbird

"Oh-oh, her schizo is about to phrenia" - Bob Hope

Old 03-01-2005, 12:56 AM
Rusty Mase

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 12:30:52 -0600, Willie Buck Merle
wrote:

Gnats in House ~ 1st Timer

Where are some other places they might nest?...

Here is a guess. Small gnats can come from soils in house plants that
you possibly brought in for the winter. These would be fungus gnats
as their larvae live in the soil and eat things like fungus growing in
the soil.

They would just be a nuisance, though, and drenching the pots in a
weak insecticide solution before you bring them in for winter kills
the larvae so they will not hatch into gnats. Personally, I would
just tolerate the gnats until they finish hatching. They should not
last long.

Rusty Mase
Old 08-02-2005, 05:18 AM
JulioF

I've tried several suggestions over the years, with mixed results. None was
"the answer" which worked consistently. In using pesticides, the gnats will
eventually become resistant when using just one pesticide.

Spoke this past weekend with a friend of mine who is one of the Austin
area's foremost authorities on such things. His recommendation was to use a
biological control agent, rather than a pesticide. Purchase some mosquito
dunks, which when placed in water activates a bacillus which loves to munch
on those critters, in addition to mosquitos.

He said to break off a chunk and place it in a watering can or whatever with
warm water - overnight. Then in the morning, apply that water to your
indoor plants. In 4 or 5 days, the flying circus should be eradicated.

Sounds like it would be worth a try.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Cindy

Follow the directions specifically and you will have results. Fungus
gnats is also a good sign you are overwatering your houseplants.

Victoria

HAH! That's a problem I don't have. My plants usually expire from drought.
Luckily, I have mostly cacti and succulents.

Cindy

Old 09-02-2005, 07:27 PM
JulioF

Thanks, Victoria. I'll give that a try next time the gnat air force
invades! :-)
Old 09-02-2005, 08:30 PM
JulioF

And here I am after visiting that website and spending $93.00. Some
excellent products. Thanks again.

JulioF...

Old 14-02-2005, 08:37 PM
JulioF

My friend who recommended the mosquito cakes was featured on KLRU TV
yesterday - Central Texas Gardener was the show. I'll be sure to let him
know how the fungus gnat-specific bacillus works for me.

The plant which brought forth the gnats came pre-loaded with gnats,
unfortunately. That'll teach me to take a closer look at what I'm
purchasing before heading home with them!

Now let's be sure to enjoy today's sunny 80 degree weather... :-)
Old 15-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Tex John

I get almost all of my gnats from Wal-Mart bananas

:(

And any time I buy bananas there in warm weather.

Randalls bananas - no gnats.

John

"JulioF" wrote in message
My friend who recommended the mosquito cakes was featured on KLRU TV
yesterday - Central Texas Gardener was the show. I'll be sure to let him
know how the fungus gnat-specific bacillus works for me.

The plant which brought forth the gnats came pre-loaded with gnats,
unfortunately. That'll teach me to take a closer look at what I'm
purchasing before heading home with them!

Now let's be sure to enjoy today's sunny 80 degree weather... :-)

Finally a use for fungus gnats Bob Walsh Orchids 0 08-05-2003 10:32 PM
Gnats bitting us Scott Downey Lawns 2 06-05-2003 03:20 PM
gnats in my basil Eddie G Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
tiny gnats -flies- aphids David Shalita Edible Gardening 1 31-01-2003 02:14 AM
gnats in my basil Eddie G Lawns 1 17-12-2002 09:11 AM