Old 23-02-2005, 03:21 AM
MDM

Default ants!

We just moved to a new place this month and my SO has put all her potted
plants in the yard just like she had them at the old place.
For some reason the ants have attacked only one of these, (some sort of
caudiform she says). They have invaded the pot, and it looks like
displaced half of the soil outside the pot, replacing it with...? Ants?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

Old 25-02-2005, 03:53 AM
Jim Marrs

Sounds like you have a bed of Fire ants. I would get some fire ant killer as
soon as possible. The ants will displace the soil around the roots and
eventfully the plant may die. Besides, the ant stings are painful and who
wants fire ants?

Have Fun
Jim

Old 25-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Jean Staffen

Sprinkle a little Tide laundry detergent on and around the mound. They will
pull up stakes and move to your neighbor's yard.

Old 25-02-2005, 06:19 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Where they will reproduce to come back and create more mounds in your
yard! :-P

Driving them off is not good enough. Fire ants need to DIE!

Old 25-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Cindy

Amdro.

There's a new(er) product that my husband got last year, and it eradicated
the ants for MONTHS. It's such a big help, I know, that I can't remember
the name, but I need more and I believe they have it at HOme Depot, so I'll
let you know when I get some. It's granules that you put on with a
spreader. It probably kills everything else in the yard too, which I hate,
but I HATE FIRE ANTS MORE!! So!

Cindy

Old 26-02-2005, 02:31 AM
Red

Green Light has a new product called "Fire Ant Control" with Conserve. It
is organic and is a bait, it is effective within one to two days and only
the really big mounds which have more than a couple of queens will require
retreatment. Safe to use in potted plants. As to the treatment of a pot you
can drowned them out if you have a container that is big enough to hold the
affected container in question. Just submerse it in water overnight, won't
hurt the plant and should get rid of the pests.

Old 26-02-2005, 05:04 AM
ie

Occasionally the fire ants set up shop in my herb garden...is it safe to use
any of these products around herbs and vegetables for human consumption?

Any new info on stuff that is effective is much appreciated since one sting
starts me in hives all over and two stings sends me to the ER.......
I HATE FIRE ANTS MORE THAN ANYONE.....

om...

Old 26-02-2005, 05:25 AM
MDM

thanks for all the replies so far.
I do not want to use anything scary or toxic chemicals, I'm no old
hippie but I don't like dumping that stuff in the ground.
The drowning idea did cross my mind so I may try that. We do have a
vacant yard next door so the evacuation plan might work too.
Old 26-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Cindy

I've read that you can't drown them, though you may get them to move out.
But, a home remedy I found is to sprinkle borax or soap flakes around their
mounds and water. The soap destroys their waterproofedness and then they DO
drown.

Old 26-02-2005, 06:35 AM
Katra

Put a line of Amdro OUTSIDE of the herb garden, not in it!
They will pick it all up and take it back to the mounds where it'll kill
off the colony.

Odd, I guess I have enough aromatic herbs, I never get fire ants IN my
herb garden! Right across the driveway from it, yes, but never IN it.

I grow rosemary, basil, mexican and italian oregano, sage, thyme, savory
and curry.

If all else fails, get some low growing pennyroyal and plant it on the
front edge of the herb garden. That will act as a repellant (and a good
green mulch that won't bother your other herbs) to keep them out.

I'm currently using that in around my chard and it's working great. :-)

In article ,
"ie" wrote:

Occasionally the fire ants set up shop in my herb garden...is it safe to use
any of these products around herbs and vegetables for human consumption?

Any new info on stuff that is effective is much appreciated since one sting
starts me in hives all over and two stings sends me to the ER.......
I HATE FIRE ANTS MORE THAN ANYONE.....

om...

"MDM" wrote in message
We just moved to a new place this month and my SO has put all her potted
plants in the yard just like she had them at the old place.
For some reason the ants have attacked only one of these, (some sort of
caudiform she says). They have invaded the pot, and it looks like
displaced half of the soil outside the pot, replacing it with...? Ants?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 26-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Red

The Green Light product is labeled "for use in home gardens". If you want
to talk to them they are at 210-494-3481 in San Antonio. Gardenville also
has some liquid products that are garden safe.

"ie" wrote in message
news
Occasionally the fire ants set up shop in my herb garden...is it safe to
use any of these products around herbs and vegetables for human
consumption?

Any new info on stuff that is effective is much appreciated since one
sting starts me in hives all over and two stings sends me to the ER.......
I HATE FIRE ANTS MORE THAN ANYONE.....

om...

Old 01-03-2005, 01:50 AM
Cowboy

Cindy wrote:
Amdro.

There's a new(er) product that my husband got last year, and it eradicated
the ants for MONTHS. It's such a big help, I know, that I can't remember
the name, but I need more and I believe they have it at HOme Depot, so I'll
let you know when I get some. It's granules that you put on with a
spreader. It probably kills everything else in the yard too, which I hate,
but I HATE FIRE ANTS MORE!! So!

Cindy

I've seen that - big red bag, all the farm and ranch stores and big
nursurys have it as well. It is rather specific - does hurt other
things, but not as much as some stuff. Amdro is good, but also deals a
blow to birds.

Cowby
Old 08-03-2005, 04:23 PM
jojo

how does it hurt birds? I understood (I'm not flaming you, just need
education)
that it only effected thinks with an exoskeleton?

thanks,
jojo

Old 08-03-2005, 11:44 PM
Cartlon Shew

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:21:12 -0600, MDM wrote:

We just moved to a new place this month and my SO has put all her potted
plants in the yard just like she had them at the old place.
For some reason the ants have attacked only one of these, (some sort of
caudiform she says). They have invaded the pot, and it looks like
displaced half of the soil outside the pot, replacing it with...? Ants?

Cool!

Any advice appreciated.

Get a transparent pot so you can have a giant ant-farm.

Thanks

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
ants in worm farm Mousie Australia 8 02-04-2003 10:20 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM