Old 23-03-2005, 08:31 AM
Katra

Default Speaking of spring...

I planted two little passion flower vines last summer.
They did well over the winter and I got my very first bloom about a week
ago:

http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslin...ionFlower2.jpg

I think this one is Passiflora caerulea and I've since done some
googling on passion flowers. There are a HUGE number of species of this
beautiful thing and I'm considering looking for more edible species
(Incarnata and edulis).

Anyone know where I could get those two species locally???

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 23-03-2005, 06:03 PM
John

Hey Katra,
Very pretty! I had a huge Passion vine at our old house in Austin..Covered
half a wall of the house..Only thing the Monarch butterfly's lay their eggs
on them and their babies just about eat it to death..Guess passion vine is
one of their favorite things..I think ours was the standard non edible one
though as it never fruited..But the blossoms were very deep purple..And the
smell..WOW! Darn thing came up everywhere like a trumpet vine..Even had a
sprout come up in our sunroom between the slab expansion joints. Was very
wierd..Did fine year after year till the guys who repaired our foundation
just HAD to put a pier right where it was..That indeed did kill it :-(
John

Old 24-03-2005, 07:08 AM
Katra

In article ,
"John" wrote:

Hey Katra,
Very pretty!

Thanks! :-)

I had a huge Passion vine at our old house in Austin..Covered
half a wall of the house..Only thing the Monarch butterfly's lay their eggs
on them and their babies just about eat it to death..Guess passion vine is
one of their favorite things..

Yeah, read about that but I understand the vine survives and re-leafs?
It'd be cool to get more monarchs here! I plant parsley and fennel in
the herb garden for the baby tiger swallowtails! Cute little buggers...

How did yours do when raided by the monarchs?

I think ours was the standard non edible one
though as it never fruited..But the blossoms were very deep purple..And the
smell..WOW! Darn thing came up everywhere like a trumpet vine..

I WISH my two little trumpet vines were doing this well!!! I've been
trying for 4 years to get trumpet vine growing on my fence! sigh Guess
my soil conditions are not right.

Even had a
sprout come up in our sunroom between the slab expansion joints. Was very
wierd..Did fine year after year till the guys who repaired our foundation
just HAD to put a pier right where it was..That indeed did kill it :-(

Darn. :-(

John

Well, if I get any fruit, I'll probably harvest the seeds at least and
might be able to offer a seed exchange next year!

Kat

Old 24-03-2005, 07:15 PM
John

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"John" wrote:

Hey Katra,
Very pretty!

Thanks! :-)

I had a huge Passion vine at our old house in Austin..Covered
half a wall of the house..Only thing the Monarch butterfly's lay their
eggs
on them and their babies just about eat it to death..Guess passion vine
is
one of their favorite things..

Yeah, read about that but I understand the vine survives and re-leafs?
It'd be cool to get more monarchs here! I plant parsley and fennel in
the herb garden for the baby tiger swallowtails! Cute little buggers...

How did yours do when raided by the monarchs?

Hi Katra,
They usually pop right back. The vine was so huge the damage wasn't total,
just made it look a bit sad..

I think ours was the standard non edible one
though as it never fruited..But the blossoms were very deep purple..And
the
smell..WOW! Darn thing came up everywhere like a trumpet vine..

I WISH my two little trumpet vines were doing this well!!! I've been
trying for 4 years to get trumpet vine growing on my fence! sigh Guess
my soil conditions are not right.

At the same house we planted a trumpet and it did absolutely nothing for 4-5
years then it went mad..Started coming up everywhere and covered most of the
fence behind the pool..Was very pretty..But again took a long time in that
sh**ty clay soil to take hold..Don't give up!!!

Even had a
sprout come up in our sunroom between the slab expansion joints. Was very
wierd..Did fine year after year till the guys who repaired our foundation
just HAD to put a pier right where it was..That indeed did kill it :-(

Darn. :-(

Yeah..Was ****ed..Was the very first plant I bought when I moved here 13
years ago..Never saw one before..

Old 24-03-2005, 08:42 PM
Katra

In article ,
"John" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"John" wrote:

Hey Katra,
Very pretty!

Thanks! :-)

I had a huge Passion vine at our old house in Austin..Covered
half a wall of the house..Only thing the Monarch butterfly's lay their
eggs
on them and their babies just about eat it to death..Guess passion vine
is
one of their favorite things..

Yeah, read about that but I understand the vine survives and re-leafs?
It'd be cool to get more monarchs here! I plant parsley and fennel in
the herb garden for the baby tiger swallowtails! Cute little buggers...

How did yours do when raided by the monarchs?

Hi Katra,
They usually pop right back. The vine was so huge the damage wasn't total,
just made it look a bit sad..

lol I can imagine... ;-)

I think ours was the standard non edible one
though as it never fruited..But the blossoms were very deep purple..And
the
smell..WOW! Darn thing came up everywhere like a trumpet vine..

I WISH my two little trumpet vines were doing this well!!! I've been
trying for 4 years to get trumpet vine growing on my fence! sigh Guess
my soil conditions are not right.

At the same house we planted a trumpet and it did absolutely nothing for 4-5
years then it went mad..Started coming up everywhere and covered most of the
fence behind the pool..Was very pretty..But again took a long time in that
sh**ty clay soil to take hold..Don't give up!!!

Ok, thanks!
I monitor them every year and try to baby them......
They are still alive, just not doing much.

Even had a
sprout come up in our sunroom between the slab expansion joints. Was very
wierd..Did fine year after year till the guys who repaired our foundation
just HAD to put a pier right where it was..That indeed did kill it :-(

Darn. :-(

Yeah..Was ****ed..Was the very first plant I bought when I moved here 13
years ago..Never saw one before..

Did you re-plant?

Old 03-04-2005, 07:12 AM
Becky

They're probably Gulf Fritillary butterflies that are laying eggs on your
passion vine. That's one of their host plants. I have one and it's covered
in butterflies & caterpillars all summer. It has very few flowers though
because it doesn't get enough light, but butterflies need to eat too.

Old 04-04-2005, 01:47 PM
John

Hi Becky,
You could be right..To a non "butterfly educated" person like me they look
very similar to a monarch..At least in color..They would lay the eggs on the
leaves and the catapillers look like ones I found on a web search..Boy they
could do a job on that poor Passion vine...Mine faced north and bloomed very
well....Thanks for the heads up on the species!!!
John