Old 05-06-2005, 07:13 AM
suzilem

Default Fox ????

"Bourne Identity" wrote in message
For several nights my husband has been seeing two animals. One larger

than the
other, the larger being about a third larger than the smaller. I got to

see it
tonight on the fence. It had a long, bushy tail, beautiful detail and

smooth.
I didn't see the color as it was too dark and the flashlight didn't do it.

When it finally ran off it made a sound like a gravelly roar, not a

screech. I
found something which sounds very much like what I heard:

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/...s/FoxChirp.wav

possibly a gray fox???

http://www.nsrl.ttu.edu/tmot1/uroccine.htm

"The gray fox is essentially an inhabitant of wooded areas, particularly
mixed hardwood forests. It is common throughout the wooded sections east of
the shortgrass plains and in the pinyon-juniper community above the low
lying deserts."

Old 05-06-2005, 02:20 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"suzilem" wrote:

[...]

I found a fresh road killed gray fox just this last Christmas on one of
the Suburban roads in New Braunfels... Flatlands. Searches for food
will drive them out of normal habitats.

There are foxes around here. About as common as bobcats.

There are also occasionally cougars.

And plenty of coyotes. :-P
--
Om.

Old 05-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Gary Brady

Bourne Identity wrote:
Thanks everyone. It definitely looks like the gray fox. Now, there are two of
them. If one of them is half the size could that possibly be offspring, or are
the males that much larger? I will do some research myself, and I absolutely
love that a fox would choose my property to live, but if they reproduce and have
6 pups, what then?

The rabbit is nowhere to be found, so it either smelled the fox or one of the
foxes turned a rabbit into fox.

Victoria

I've seen several foxes around my neighborhood over the years, and I
think that the smaller one would be a young fox. I saw a half size fox
looking through our sliding glass bedroom door one night and it looked
young, much as a puppy looks compared to an adult dog. I don't think
you'll have trouble with them unless you have chickens. And I haven't
noticed any change in the rabbit population. I find the deer to be the
most destructive animals around.

Gary Brady
Old 07-06-2005, 03:59 PM
charliekilo

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
In article ,
"suzilem" wrote:

[...]

I live in Great Hills/Arboretum area and we have quite a few gray foxes
around here.

Old 14-06-2005, 05:51 PM
John

"Bourne Identity" wrote in message
On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 14:59:52 GMT, "charliekilo"
opined:

I live in Great Hills/Arboretum area and we have quite a few gray foxes
around here.

Yes, after several late nights out back with flashlights we spotted two
pups and
a mom. They live in a den somewhere under our shed. At least that's one
of
their entrances. I'm not going to do anything about them. The pups will
leave
and they are said to be solitary for the most part. I'm concerned about
the
cardinal nest with three chicks in it. She made her nest in the rosa
rugosa
this year. A bit too low for my liking, but I'll watch it. I think these
fox
have really cleaned up the rodent population we had back there. At one
time I
saw at least eleven of them on the bird feeder way out at the end of the
property.

My folks live in the Pine Forest in Bastrop county, just east of the city of
Bastrop near Hwy 71..Early one morning I walked out the door and saw one of
these guys running up the road..Was very cool...
John

Old 14-06-2005, 06:21 PM
Barney Rubble

There are foxs in the woods around the houses on Red Bud (just up from 79)
and the field between 79 and the diamond (towards the south).

- Barney
"Bourne Identity" wrote in message
For several nights my husband has been seeing two animals. One larger
than the
other, the larger being about a third larger than the smaller. I got to
see it
tonight on the fence. It had a long, bushy tail, beautiful detail and
smooth.
I didn't see the color as it was too dark and the flashlight didn't do it.

When it finally ran off it made a sound like a gravelly roar, not a
screech. I
found something which sounds very much like what I heard:

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/...s/FoxChirp.wav

I looked at the Texas Parks and Wildlife website, but all they list is one
kind
of fox, and it is not supposed to live this far east in Texas. However,
it is
listed as living in open prairie, short and tall grass. Recently, on
SH-79 they
have literally removed hundreds of acres to build a new Walmart, an HEB
going
in, and tons of those shit bag houses that all look exactly alike, all
three
feet from the other.

I did see a rabbit the other day for a few days and now it is not here any
more. Coincidence? I also have not seen near as many lizards as I
normally
see. I can count how many I've seen this year, as opposed to every other
year
seeing many dozens daily.

So, do we have any Master Naturalists out there?

Victoria

Old 14-06-2005, 06:34 PM
Katra

In article ,
"John" wrote:

[...]

Foxes are cool...
until they start eating your pet cats, and your poultry. ;-)
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 15-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Kathleen

We have seen one in our backyard in Wimberley.
With hope and heart,
Kathleen

There are foxs in the woods around the houses on Red Bud (just up from 79)
and the field between 79 and the diamond (towards the south).

- Barney

Does it realy fox the fox? John Towill United Kingdom 292 14-02-2004 09:34 AM
It's a Fox...not a coon... BenignVanilla Ponds 3 07-08-2003 01:32 PM
Is my Flying fox an SAE Scott Rogahn Freshwater Aquaria Plants 12 19-06-2003 10:32 AM
Fox toilet Judy Rigby United Kingdom 16 22-05-2003 07:08 PM
Urban fox hedgehog United Kingdom 5 18-03-2003 05:20 PM