Old 19-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Wooly

Default WFF (or WTB if necessary) Fruiting Fig starter

Hi y'all. I've been looking for a 1-5 gallon fruiting fig start for a
couple of months now. Rumor is the Home Depot on Great Hills Trail
had some over the weekend but I couldn't find any when I ran out there
yesterday evening. If you live north-central and have a sucker or
volunteer you're willing to part with I'll bring a spade and a bucket
and come dig it up.

I'd particularly like a Celeste starter but given my luck in finding
*any* fig start I won't turn down a Brown Turkey. As I'm not
profligate in watering my part of the great outdoors I think a Kadota
is probably not suitable.

Thanks!

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old 20-07-2005, 02:45 AM
Joe Doe

In article ,
Wooly wrote:

Hi y'all. I've been looking for a 1-5 gallon fruiting fig start for a
couple of months now. Rumor is the Home Depot on Great Hills Trail
had some over the weekend but I couldn't find any when I ran out there
yesterday evening. If you live north-central and have a sucker or
volunteer you're willing to part with I'll bring a spade and a bucket
and come dig it up.

I'd particularly like a Celeste starter but given my luck in finding
*any* fig start I won't turn down a Brown Turkey. As I'm not
profligate in watering my part of the great outdoors I think a Kadota
is probably not suitable.

Thanks!

+++++++++++++

I am on Ave H and 51 St.

I have an huge unknown fig growing in my backyard. Despite the fact that
it is covered with fruit I seldom get to eat any fruit because the birds
pick me clean. The fruit I have eaten were pretty bland - I would not
plant it given a choice. However, the birds seldom let the fruit ripen
and I am occasionally forced to pick at suboptimal times (for figs fruit
will not ripen off the tree and have to be tree ripened). So in truth I
really do not know if it is capable of producing good fruit.

I have not gone back to look for suckers but I would be happy to give
you as many cuttings you want if a sucker does not exist.

If you would like some contact me at rsaldanh and UT domain.

Roland
Old 20-07-2005, 03:40 AM
Victor Martinez

Joe Doe wrote:
plant it given a choice. However, the birds seldom let the fruit ripen
and I am occasionally forced to pick at suboptimal times (for figs fruit
will not ripen off the tree and have to be tree ripened). So in truth I
really do not know if it is capable of producing good fruit.

You could harvest them green and preserve them with sugar, in Mexico
we'd call that "higos cristalizados". My mom makes them every year with
all the figs that won't ripen due to winter. They're good!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 20-07-2005, 03:58 AM
Joe Doe

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

Joe Doe wrote:
plant it given a choice. However, the birds seldom let the fruit ripen
and I am occasionally forced to pick at suboptimal times (for figs fruit
will not ripen off the tree and have to be tree ripened). So in truth I
really do not know if it is capable of producing good fruit.

You could harvest them green and preserve them with sugar, in Mexico
we'd call that "higos cristalizados". My mom makes them every year with
all the figs that won't ripen due to winter. They're good!

Have a recipe?

Roland
Old 20-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Victor Martinez

Joe Doe wrote:
Have a recipe?

Let me email my mom, I'll post it when she replies. Which might be a
while, she's still living in the 20th century.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 20-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Wooly

I'll be glad to come take some cuttings. When is a good time for me
to come by?

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:45:21 -0500, Joe Doe
spewed forth :

Old 21-07-2005, 02:12 AM
Joe Doe

In article ,
Wooly wrote:

I'll be glad to come take some cuttings. When is a good time for me
to come by?

Any AM next week would be fine - gives me time to poke around over the
weekend to see if there are any suckers and mow a path to the tree

Roland
Old 21-07-2005, 02:12 AM
Joe Doe

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

Joe Doe wrote:
Have a recipe?

Let me email my mom, I'll post it when she replies. Which might be a
while, she's still living in the 20th century.

Thank you.

Roland
Old 21-07-2005, 02:43 AM
Wooly

Don't mow on my account! I can bushwhack if necessary I'm free
all week, so just let me know when you're ready for me...

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 20:12:31 -0500, Joe Doe
spewed forth :

Old 25-07-2005, 03:48 AM
Joe Doe

In article ,
Wooly wrote:

Don't mow on my account! I can bushwhack if necessary I'm free
all week, so just let me know when you're ready for me...

No suckers that can be dug up.

I made two generous cuttings and stuck them in a laundry detergent tub
with some water (they have a few immature figs on them).

They are sitting under my porch. You can pick them up whenever you want
(tub and all).

If I guessed your identity right, you may have dropped off a sourdough
starter so know my address. If I am wrong I can provide more precise
directions. If I wake up early enough I will try to leave a few figs
from the tree so you can judge for yourself if it is worth planting.
They may be hanging from a planter hook on the porch (lots of stray cats
and other beasts wander the area so I cannot leave them out at night).
I am a night person so may not be up in time to do this.

Roland

Old 25-07-2005, 04:07 AM
Wooly

Cuttings are certainly better than the big Nothing I keep coming up
with! I'll probably snip the fruits off so the cuttings can put their
energy into rooting. I'll come by tomorrow after I drop the boy at
camp (we're no longer going to school in Hyde Park so it'll be
0830ish).

I've delivered more than a few sourdough starters in Hyde Park.
Better drop me a line with your house number at least

g r o T O D h s y f TA y k n i l s

+++++++++++++

Old 26-07-2005, 04:19 AM
wronp

Wooly wrote:
Hi y'all. I've been looking for a 1-5 gallon fruiting fig start for a
couple of months now. Rumor is the Home Depot on Great Hills Trail
had some over the weekend but I couldn't find any when I ran out there
yesterday evening. If you live north-central and have a sucker or
volunteer you're willing to part with I'll bring a spade and a bucket
and come dig it up.

I'd particularly like a Celeste starter but given my luck in finding
*any* fig start I won't turn down a Brown Turkey. As I'm not
profligate in watering my part of the great outdoors I think a Kadota
is probably not suitable.

Thanks!

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...

I got mine a Texas Everbearing at Barton Springs nursery. They had a
couple of different varities. I planted in the spring and it grew from
about 2' to about 5' and it has three figs. Not great but it is the just
first year.

Also, a friend gave me a branch that he air-layered from his tree. I had
asked him about cuttings but he said that figs did not do well as
cuttings. My branch is about 3 feet tall and although it has yet to
fruit it has taken hold and is looking healthy.

Good luck.
Old 28-07-2005, 07:54 PM
pistor

Joe Doe wrote:
Have a recipe?

Ok, spoke with mom on the phone and she gave me the recipe.

2 lbs green figs
2 lbs sugar
2 cups water

Cook the figs with plain water first, until they begin to get soft. (My
mom uses a pressure cooker and takes it off the heat as soon as it
pressurizes to normal).
Add sugar and cook at low heat until figs caramelize and most of the
water is evaporated. They keep in a dry container for months.

Old 30-07-2005, 02:38 AM
Joe Doe

In article .com,
"pistor" wrote:

Joe Doe wrote:
Have a recipe?

Ok, spoke with mom on the phone and she gave me the recipe.

2 lbs green figs
2 lbs sugar
2 cups water

Cook the figs with plain water first, until they begin to get soft. (My
mom uses a pressure cooker and takes it off the heat as soon as it
pressurizes to normal).
Add sugar and cook at low heat until figs caramelize and most of the
water is evaporated. They keep in a dry container for months.

Thank you.

I have a lot of green figs on the tree right now and will try it.

Roland

Carpobrotus Edulis AKA Ice Plant, Hottentot Fig, Kaffir Fig Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 24-03-2010 06:54 AM
tree spraying necessary? jin Lawns 3 24-09-2003 11:12 PM
Pump filter - necessary or not? Meoww Ponds 10 22-08-2003 12:06 PM
Is a Air Pump necessary? FBCS Ponds 52 06-08-2003 12:12 AM
CO2 diffuser - not necessary Michael Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 20-04-2003 06:20 AM