Old 22-07-2005, 02:00 AM
Cindy

Default Crape Myrtle Pruning

Hey, are you supposed to cut the seed pods off the Crape myrtles? I have
one out in front of my house that I want to stay shorter, but I don't like
the "scalped" look, so I've just been pruning off the seeds as the flowers
fall.

Cindy

Old 22-07-2005, 03:39 AM
Victor Martinez

Cindy wrote:
Hey, are you supposed to cut the seed pods off the Crape myrtles? I have

You're not supposed to do anything, but a light trimming helps.

one out in front of my house that I want to stay shorter, but I don't like
the "scalped" look, so I've just been pruning off the seeds as the flowers
fall.

These trees have such beatiful forms, it's a shame ignorant people
commit crape murder. ;-)

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 22-07-2005, 04:22 AM
Cindy

Victor Martinez wrote:
Cindy wrote:
Hey, are you supposed to cut the seed pods off the Crape myrtles? I
have

You're not supposed to do anything, but a light trimming helps.

one out in front of my house that I want to stay shorter, but I
don't like the "scalped" look, so I've just been pruning off the
seeds as the flowers fall.

These trees have such beatiful forms, it's a shame ignorant people
commit crape murder. ;-)

Yes! I'd never seen (or maybe never noticed) an untouched c.m. until I saw
a big clump that had grown out of and through its pot at a local nursery.
They get huge, and the bark is so pretty!

Old 22-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Victor Martinez

Cindy wrote:
Yes! I'd never seen (or maybe never noticed) an untouched c.m. until I saw
a big clump that had grown out of and through its pot at a local nursery.
They get huge, and the bark is so pretty!

There are many *huge* ones in my neighborhood, some are over 20 ft tall.
Very beautiful trees indeed.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 22-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Treedweller

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 01:00:11 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

Hey, are you supposed to cut the seed pods off the Crape myrtles? I have
one out in front of my house that I want to stay shorter, but I don't like
the "scalped" look, so I've just been pruning off the seeds as the flowers
fall.

Cindy

I agree with Victor--no need to cut off the seed pods, but no harm in
it, either, if they bug you. Beyond that, remove the whips that
sprout up from the ground and also the ones that sprout from the
branches and cut across/through the basic structure. This yields a
nice, small tree. Neglect to prune the sprouts and you'll get a big,
fat, nice bush. Your preference and inclination towards maintenance
will dictate which method prevails.

Old 22-07-2005, 11:28 PM
charliekilo

"Treedweller" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 01:00:11 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

Hey, are you supposed to cut the seed pods off the Crape myrtles? I have
one out in front of my house that I want to stay shorter, but I don't like
the "scalped" look, so I've just been pruning off the seeds as the flowers
fall.

Cindy

I agree with Victor--no need to cut off the seed pods, but no harm in
it, either, if they bug you. Beyond that, remove the whips that
sprout up from the ground and also the ones that sprout from the
branches and cut across/through the basic structure. This yields a
nice, small tree. Neglect to prune the sprouts and you'll get a big,
fat, nice bush. Your preference and inclination towards maintenance
will dictate which method prevails.

What I saw on a state extension service web site, they said for a tree to
produce more blooms, trim (just) the seed pods off in the spring just before
the tree begins to bud.

Pruning Crape Myrtle Trees orangetrader Gardening 5 16-09-2004 03:51 AM
crape myrtle Wishy13764 Gardening 2 25-09-2003 12:12 AM
Where to buy crape myrtle? Mick Gardening 5 10-09-2003 03:32 PM
crape myrtle mardab Gardening 4 12-05-2003 02:32 AM
[IBC] Crape Myrtle Repot audgen Bonsai 2 17-03-2003 08:44 PM