Old 11-08-2005, 12:06 PM

Default silver birch sprouting !

I have some trees sprouting in my front garden. No idea where they came
from, but a friend who knows trees said they are silver birch or
similar. One is around 5 feet high and slender. It is starting to lean,
so could do with some support soon.
Anyway, I will have to move them (to the back garden). When and how is
the best way to do this ?
Thanks,
Simon.

Old 11-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Tumbleweed

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have some trees sprouting in my front garden. No idea where they came
from, but a friend who knows trees said they are silver birch or
similar. One is around 5 feet high and slender. It is starting to lean,
so could do with some support soon.
Anyway, I will have to move them (to the back garden). When and how is
the best way to do this ?
Thanks,
Simon.

10 a penny in my garden, they sprout up everywhere, I have more of these
than dandelions in my borders. Birch trees produce millions of tiny seeds
that spread far and wide and I have a 40 or 50ft tall one next door right
next to the fence.

personally, I wouldnt recommend it unless you like pulling up weeds.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 11-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Tumbleweed" writes:

| 10 a penny in my garden, they sprout up everywhere, I have more of these
| than dandelions in my borders. Birch trees produce millions of tiny seeds
| that spread far and wide and I have a 40 or 50ft tall one next door right
| next to the fence.

That "millions" is not hyperbole, and the "everywhere" is
pretty accurate, too. The first trees to colonise Britain after
the glaciers receded were the two birches :-) And the seeds will
blow into houses through closed windows and doors.

| personally, I wouldnt recommend it unless you like pulling up weeds.

They are also said not to transplant well.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Tumbleweed

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Tumbleweed" writes:

| 10 a penny in my garden, they sprout up everywhere, I have more of
these
| than dandelions in my borders. Birch trees produce millions of tiny
seeds
| that spread far and wide and I have a 40 or 50ft tall one next door
right
| next to the fence.

That "millions" is not hyperbole, and the "everywhere" is
pretty accurate, too. The first trees to colonise Britain after
the glaciers receded were the two birches :-) And the seeds will
blow into houses through closed windows and doors.

Agreed, I am always finding the tiny little seeds indoors, almost year
round. Not sure if thats because they are produced year round (I suspect
not) or they just blow about everywhere being so small, so those that havent
sprouted get the opportunity to be blown about more and some eventually find
their way indoors.

BTW I am currently also getting lots of acorns sprouting in my garden,
including the lawn, but there are no oak trees within 100 metres or so. What
would plant acorns in the lawn? Squirrels or something else? Last year I
found a sprouting acorn in a hanging basket! But I have only ever seen one
squirrel in my garden.

Old 11-08-2005, 01:21 PM

Oh, thats all a bit of a downer. Trees cost such a lot to buy,
I must be able to do something with them.
Still, I've already got these "weeds".
Can you prune them to keep them in check ?
How old would they be before producing all the seeds ?
And I would still like to know how to move them.
I suddenly feel a bit like a tree hugger !
Simon.

Old 11-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Tumbleweed" writes:

| Agreed, I am always finding the tiny little seeds indoors, almost year
| round. Not sure if thats because they are produced year round (I suspect
| not)

They're not. The catkin fall is nearly as bad, but that is bits
of the catkins and not seeds. It isn't intolerable with me, but
is a bit of a nuisance. Planners like birches because the small
leaves and other detritus can be ignored on roadways, as most of
it blows off.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:47 PM
Sue

"Tumbleweed" wrote
snip
BTW I am currently also getting lots of acorns sprouting in my garden,
including the lawn, but there are no oak trees within 100 metres or so.
What would plant acorns in the lawn? Squirrels or something else? Last
year I found a sprouting acorn in a hanging basket! But I have only ever
seen one squirrel in my garden.

Could well be Jays. They collect several acorns at a time in their crop and
then hide them elsewhere for later retrieval. In recent Autumns I've often
seen them poking around in the grass down in my wild bit, then every Spring
I find little oak seedlings popping up in odd places, so they obviously
don't retrieve them all!

Old 11-08-2005, 02:59 PM
john

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:49:34 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I have some trees sprouting in my front garden.
Simon.

10 a penny in my garden, they sprout up everywhere, I have more of these
than dandelions in my borders. Birch trees produce millions of tiny seeds
that spread far and wide and I have a 40 or 50ft tall one next door right
next to the fence.

personally, I wouldnt recommend it unless you like pulling up weeds.

I'll take a small pastic bag of them if
you really want to get rid of them.
I'm attempting to grow several types
of English trees, *almost as bonsai* in
pots. Perhaps you saw the correspondence in this
group a couple of weeks ago?

John.

Old 11-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
john writes:

| I'll take a small pastic bag of them if
| you really want to get rid of them.
| I'm attempting to grow several types
| of English trees, *almost as bonsai* in
| pots. Perhaps you saw the correspondence in this
| group a couple of weeks ago?

Wait until autumn, and wander along almost any suburban
street in the south. In hill country, they grow wild, of
course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:06 PM
john

"Tumbleweed" writes:

| 10 a penny in my garden, they sprout up everywhere, I have more of
these
| than dandelions in my borders. Birch trees produce millions of tiny
seeds

BTW I am currently also getting lots of acorns sprouting in my garden,
including the lawn, but there are no oak trees within 100 metres or so. What
would plant acorns in the lawn? Squirrels or something else? Last year I
found a sprouting acorn in a hanging basket! But I have only ever seen one
squirrel in my garden.

You'll notice elsewhere in the group that I'm looking
for *small* saplings to grow on in pots (I'm a gravel fan)
I'd be most appreciative of any young English oaks that
you may be discarding.

I live in Plymouth, Devon.

John.
======================================
Old 11-08-2005, 03:08 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:

That "millions" is not hyperbole, and the "everywhere" is
pretty accurate, too. The first trees to colonise Britain after
the glaciers receded were the two birches :-) And the seeds will
blow into houses through closed windows and doors.

Agreed, I am always finding the tiny little seeds indoors, almost year
round. Not sure if thats because they are produced year round (I suspect
not) or they just blow about everywhere being so small, so those that
havent
sprouted get the opportunity to be blown about more and some
eventually find
their way indoors.

I thinkk they fall on you when you're outside, and when you're inside,
some fall off your hair (if any) and clothing.

BTW I am currently also getting lots of acorns sprouting in my garden,
including the lawn, but there are no oak trees within 100 metres or
so. What
would plant acorns in the lawn? Squirrels or something else? Last year I
found a sprouting acorn in a hanging basket! But I have only ever seen one
squirrel in my garden.

Squirrels.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 11-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades writes:

| Agreed, I am always finding the tiny little seeds indoors, almost year
| round. Not sure if thats because they are produced year round (I suspect
| not) or they just blow about everywhere being so small, so those that
| havent
| sprouted get the opportunity to be blown about more and some
| eventually find
| their way indoors.
|
| I thinkk they fall on you when you're outside, and when you're inside,
| some fall off your hair (if any) and clothing.

That do that, and also blow in through cracks, usually by getting
into the gap, and then being blown in when you open the door/window.
But they can get blown in directly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Tumbleweed

"john" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:49:34 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...
I have some trees sprouting in my front garden.
Simon.

10 a penny in my garden, they sprout up everywhere, I have more of these
than dandelions in my borders. Birch trees produce millions of tiny seeds
that spread far and wide and I have a 40 or 50ft tall one next door right
next to the fence.

personally, I wouldnt recommend it unless you like pulling up weeds.

I'll take a small pastic bag of them if
you really want to get rid of them.
I'm attempting to grow several types
of English trees, *almost as bonsai* in
pots. Perhaps you saw the correspondence in this
group a couple of weeks ago?

John.

I would but I usually pull them up when they are only 3 or 4 inches tall.
email me your snail mail address and if I find some bigger ones I'll put
them in the post. But I would suggest you just walk around and look for a
large tree and youll soon enough find lots of seedlings.