GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Global warming? "Evidence" from my garden? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/101593-global-warming-%22evidence%22-my-garden.html)

Roger Hunt 23-08-2005 03:39 PM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Nick Maclaren typed this :

In article ,
Roger Hunt writes:

| An excess of mass.
|
| Something some of us sheddi are all to keenly aware of. There are three
| of us who are careful not to stand too near each other at moots in case
| of forming a singularity.
|
| Hence the use of CC and PP as moderators, to absorb those excess
| Neutrons? And to fill those Black holes too.

Attempting to fill in a black hole tends to be a time-consuming
task.

The PP was invented and developed at CERN, for that very purpose.
And that's why Swiss physicists tend to be rosy-cheeked and rather
plump.
--
Roger Hunt

Malc 23-08-2005 03:41 PM

Nick Maclaren wrote:

Attempting to fill in a black hole tends to be a time-consuming
task.

Mmmmmm consuming

--
Malc

JonG 23-08-2005 03:58 PM

Guy King wrote:

An excess of mass.

Something some of us sheddi are all to keenly aware of. There are three
of us who are careful not to stand too near each other at moots in case
of forming a singularity.

Good thing that those Sheddi are not naturists, I guess.

--

JonG (Self -Preservation Society No. 37 3/4)

The Shed: A Shelter from Pigs on the Wing

Kate Dicey 23-08-2005 04:28 PM

Guy King wrote:

The message
from (WaltA) contains these words:

An excess of mass.

Something some of us sheddi are all to keenly aware of. There are three
of us who are careful not to stand too near each other at moots in case
of forming a singularity.

Wouldn't it be a trilarity? Or just a hilarity...

Sorry - I have been plagued with red bridal satin today.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Mike 23-08-2005 04:32 PM

"martin" wrote in message
On 23 Aug 2005 12:55:39 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Actually, I use the terms 'paraffin' and 'kerosene' as synonyms.
Both are abbreviations (for p. oil and k. oil) and the use of
paraffin in that sense predates the use of kerosene (by only a
few years, true).

I've got a Taylor Paraffin boat stove. The embossed brass plate on it
claims it is a "parrafin" stove. The original manufacturer denied it
was a typo.
--
Martin

Makes interesting reading punching both spellings into Google ;-))

Tony Davison 23-08-2005 05:38 PM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:53:08 +0100, Egbert Egret wrote:

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:47:26 GMT, WaltA wrote:

On 23 Aug 2005 09:38:48 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:
| | This is getting really weird.
| Nah. Try uk.rec.sheds.
| Pervert! :-)

Now, THAT'S unfair! I must stand up for the sheddies here.

Here ? Amongst us, now ?
shed
Can the minister explain how this was allowed to happen,
where were our border patrols?
Inside some huts drinking tea perhaps ? Consuming wild mushrooms
gathered from their gardens and compost heaps ?

What does the minister propose to do to rectify this situation.
I propose that he should immediately begin a program of super-shed
building to contain these miscreants.

The Miscreants are in uk.misc, over there --
unless somebody crossposts this thread over there as well.

Not all of us, be afraid.
But not very.
--
Big Tone

WaltA 23-08-2005 05:58 PM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:58:21 +0100, JonG wrote:
Guy King wrote:
Something some of us sheddi are all to keenly aware of. There are three
of us who are careful not to stand too near each other at moots in case
of forming a singularity.

Good thing that those Sheddi are not naturists, I guess.

:-)
Perish the thought !
A naked singularity in a shed !!

Might involve a renormalization ?
An infinitely preferable situation.

Guy King 23-08-2005 06:07 PM

The message
from JonG contains these words:

Something some of us sheddi are all to keenly aware of. There are three
of us who are careful not to stand too near each other at moots in case
of forming a singularity.

Good thing that those Sheddi are not naturists, I guess.

I can't get my brane round a naked singularity.

--
Skipweasel.
In the beginning was the word.

Ali Hopkins 23-08-2005 06:32 PM

Guy King wrote:
Something some of us sheddi are all to keenly aware of. There are three
of us who are careful not to stand too near each other at moots in case
of forming a singularity.

Good thing that those Sheddi are not naturists, I guess.

:-)
Perish the thought !
A naked singularity in a shed !!

Might involve a renormalization ?
An infinitely preferable situation.

Bring on the sonic screwdriver.

Ali

Ali Hopkins 23-08-2005 06:33 PM

"Bernard Peek" wrote in message
In message , Ali Hopkins
writes

And sometimes, posters drift in and out too.... I was here at the dawn of
urs and voted for it, too. Then, RL got heck tick. But I like it here, so
I'll waft across now and then. :)

Strange, the people you run into in the unlikeliest places.

Hiya. :) Are you well?

Ali

Guy King 23-08-2005 06:48 PM

The message
from "Ali Hopkins" contains these words:

Bring on the sonic screwdriver.

Mine's a pint.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 23-08-2005 06:56 PM

In message %VAOe.12345$g47.9087@trnddc07, Travis
writes
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message DGxOe.10628$g47.7290@trnddc07
from "Travis" contains
these words:

Even though I Googled for it I can't find how a paraffin
refrigerator works. Anyone?

Same as a gas one.

Since paraffin is a soild (isn't it) and gas is a gas I don't get
it.

'Paraffin' is a group of hydrocabons which includes solids through
to gases. The paraffin referred to is somewhere in the middle of
the group and is called kerosene in Transpondia.

Transpondia? When I Google that word I find something about bringing a
visitor or fiance to the UK.

This is getting really weird.

British understatement refers to the Atlantic Ocean (occasionally) as
The Pond, and hence to North America (more often) as Transpondia or
Leftpondia.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Bernard Peek 23-08-2005 07:15 PM

In message , Ali Hopkins
writes

"Bernard Peek" wrote in message
In message , Ali Hopkins
writes

And sometimes, posters drift in and out too.... I was here at the dawn of
urs and voted for it, too. Then, RL got heck tick. But I like it here, so
I'll waft across now and then. :)

Strange, the people you run into in the unlikeliest places.

Hiya. :) Are you well?

Well,....

Apart from recently being declared a diabetic I'm OK. Or, as the
Digestive said to the Rich Tea -- mustn't crumble.

--
Bernard Peek

Bernard Peek 23-08-2005 07:16 PM

In message , WaltA
writes
Guy King wrote:
Something some of us sheddi are all to keenly aware of. There are three
of us who are careful not to stand too near each other at moots in case
of forming a singularity.

Good thing that those Sheddi are not naturists, I guess.

:-)
Perish the thought !
A naked singularity in a shed !!

Pull those pink checky curtains immediately!

--
Bernard Peek

Jaques d'Alltrades 23-08-2005 07:20 PM

The message
In article %VAOe.12345$g47.9087@trnddc07,
"Travis" writes:

| Transpondia? When I Google that word I find something about bringing a
| visitor or fiance to the UK.

It has been used to refer to our ex-colonies (especially the
rebellious ones) in north America for some time - on UK newsgroups.

| This is getting really weird.

Nah. Try uk.rec.sheds.

You can be a cruel abstrad when you want, 'Mr. Maclaren'...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/