Old 22-08-2005, 02:58 PM
Registered User

Default Compost

Hello,

I know absolutely nothing about gardening and I want to grow some indoor potted plants, but I cant find anywhere to buy bags of compost from. I've looked in all the nearby shops that i think might have it but they dont. I have no car so i cant travel to b&q or homebase since they're too far away. I'm in manchester so if anyone knows anywhere I can get some in the city centre it'd really help.

Thanks.
Old 22-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Kay

In article , likeregularchic
writes

Hello,

I know absolutely nothing about gardening and I want to grow some
indoor potted plants, but I cant find anywhere to buy bags of compost
from. I've looked in all the nearby shops that i think might have it
but they dont. I have no car so i cant travel to b&q or homebase since
they're too far away. I'm in manchester so if anyone knows anywhere I
can get some in the city centre it'd really help.

Morrisons, both the supermarket and their garages
--
Kay

Old 22-08-2005, 03:48 PM
Mike Lyle

likeregularchic wrote:
Hello,

I know absolutely nothing about gardening and I want to grow some
indoor potted plants, but I cant find anywhere to buy bags of

compost
from. I've looked in all the nearby shops that i think might have

it
but they dont. I have no car so i cant travel to b&q or homebase

since
they're too far away. I'm in manchester so if anyone knows anywhere

can get some in the city centre it'd really help.

Homebase deliver, but they charge £4.95. B&Q £5. A bit steep for a
bag of compost, but if there's no alternative...

If there's no physical difficulty for you in handling it, you can
take a growbag (the cheapest way to get the stuff) on the bus, you
know!

Forgive me for asking, but do you count as "old"? If you do, then the
local Age Concern are great for odd jobs like that: number should be
in the book.

It seems that you probably don't shop at one of the big edge-of-town
supermarkets. If you use a local Mum-and-Dad shop, you could ask if
they ever go to one of the DIY places, and if so, could they perhaps
pick up a growbag for you. Perhaps your Sainsbury's, like ours, has
Homebase right opposite, and some kind friend or neighbour who shops
there could pick one up.

--
Mike.

Old 23-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Registered User

Hi,

I'm not exactly elderly, no. I've looked on b&q and homebase websites and can't find it there but if you could give me a link or something it help. There arent any shops within a bus ride away either so a place in the city centre would be best.

Thanks for your help.
Old 23-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Registered User

Location: sarf west London

Picking up a grow bag is a good idea. They are straight forward to carry, and not too heavy coz the contents are dry. I suggest you take a rucksack style bag so you can stuff the growbag in it (they sometimes fold) and carry it on your back - much easier and less strain. Let us know how you get on...:O)

Old 23-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Mike Lyle

likeregularchic wrote:
Hi,

I'm not exactly elderly, no. I've looked on b&q and homebase

websites
and can't find it there but if you could give me a link or

something
it help. There arent any shops within a bus ride away either so a
place in the city centre would be best.

Thanks for your help.

I'm afraid I don't know the town, but as a last resort
this is B&Q:
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/miscellan...y/delivery.jsp

and here's Homebase:
http://tinyurl.com/8j8ep

--
Mike.

Old 23-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from likeregularchic
contains these words:

I'm not exactly elderly, no. I've looked on b&q and homebase websites
and can't find it there but if you could give me a link or something it
help. There arent any shops within a bus ride away either so a place in
the city centre would be best.

Try a site search on 'Levingtons', 'John Innes, 'J. Arthur Bowers' and
'Clover'.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 23-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Draven

"likeregularchic" wrote in
message ...

Hello,

I know absolutely nothing about gardening and I want to grow some
indoor potted plants, but I cant find anywhere to buy bags of compost
from. I've looked in all the nearby shops that i think might have it
but they dont. I have no car so i cant travel to b&q or homebase since
they're too far away. I'm in manchester so if anyone knows anywhere I
can get some in the city centre it'd really help.

Thanks.

It suddenly dawns on me how useful my car is. :O)

Old 23-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Paul Simonite

The message
from likeregularchic
contains these words:

I have no car so i cant travel

There will be a local gardening club in your area and I'm sure they will
be more than pleased help you. Ask at the local library.

--
Cheers,
Compo - Nothing ventured, nothing failed. (Ian Dury)

Old 24-08-2005, 10:23 PM
Mike Lyle

tenchman wrote:
"likeregularchic" wrote

in
message ...

Hello,

I know absolutely nothing about gardening and I want to grow some
indoor potted plants, but I cant find anywhere to buy bags of

compost
[...]

Get a composting bin and make your own from your kitchen waste.

Not an entirely realistic suggestion, of course. But it makes me
think: I've been asuming you haven't got a garden. But if you have,
then it's quite OK to grow most indoor plants in pots of garden
soil -- for most of them it could even be better.

--
Mike.

Old 24-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Amos E Wolfe

"likeregularchic" wrote in
message ...

Hi,

I'm not exactly elderly, no. I've looked on b&q and homebase websites
and can't find it there but if you could give me a link or something it
help. There arent any shops within a bus ride away either so a place in
the city centre would be best.

Our local Morrisons and Tescos both have smallish bags of compost on offer -
there should be one near your town. Our local ASDA for example is a
reasonable distance but offers a free bus, maybe yours does too. Give them a
call before you go - they are very friendly - I once needed to go shopping
shortly after moving to a small village in Norfolk. The woman in Customer
Services in Tesco's gave me directions by phone when I got lost halfway
there!

-=# Amos E Wolf #=-

Old 28-08-2005, 11:47 PM
D.M. Procida

Draven wrote:

I know absolutely nothing about gardening and I want to grow some
indoor potted plants, but I cant find anywhere to buy bags of compost
from. I've looked in all the nearby shops that i think might have it
but they dont. I have no car so i cant travel to b&q or homebase since
they're too far away. I'm in manchester so if anyone knows anywhere I
can get some in the city centre it'd really help.

It suddenly dawns on me how useful my car is. :O)

It's not your car that's useful, it's the cities which are useless.

Daniele
--
Apple Juice www.apple-juice.co.uk
Chapter Arts Centre