Old 26-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Registered User

Default beer!

Well, I've always been a bit dubious about beer traps for slugs, but as the weather has been so wet recently and my tomatoes are seriously under seige, I thought I'd give it a go. So yesterday evening I put out a half-pint semi-buried in the bed, went to check it this morning and it is literally FULL of slugs. There's got to be thirty in there!

Disgusting but satisfying. Onto the compost heap they go!

Bob
Old 27-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Spider" contains these words:

--
undergroundbob

Sounds good to me. Four days ago, I found 16 snails on and eating a
Rudbeckia 'Sonora' which was intended as a garden-warming gift for a friend.
I am now on the warpath!

I've often considered collecting some of my hodmedods and giving then
the escargot treatment - I understand that they are just as good as the
Roman snail. (FQVO good)

Garden pests with garlic butter...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 27-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

I've often considered collecting some of my hodmedods and giving then
the escargot treatment - I understand that they are just as good as the
Roman snail. (FQVO good)

Garden pests with garlic butter...

Poisoned with H*ine*en?

No flippin' fear: fed on milk for a couple of days.

Old 27-08-2005, 06:24 PM
David Rance

In message , undergroundbob
writes

Well, I've always been a bit dubious about beer traps for slugs, but as
the weather has been so wet recently and my tomatoes are seriously
under seige, I thought I'd give it a go. So yesterday evening I put out
a half-pint semi-buried in the bed, went to check it this morning and it
is literally FULL of slugs. There's got to be thirty in there!

Disgusting but satisfying. Onto the compost heap they go!

I read in the French version of the Which? magazine today that beer
doesn't actually kill them. Just seems to make them drunk enough not to
be able (or not want!) to get away.

David
| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Le Mesnil Villement, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Calvados, France |

Old 28-08-2005, 02:37 PM
pammyT

"David Rance" wrote in message
I read in the French version of the Which? magazine today that beer
doesn't actually kill them. Just seems to make them drunk enough not to
be able (or not want!) to get away.

Works with men too :0)
How do you think I've managed to have 4 husbands ?

Old 28-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net contains these words:

"David Rance" wrote in message
I read in the French version of the Which? magazine today that beer
doesn't actually kill them. Just seems to make them drunk enough not to
be able (or not want!) to get away.

Works with men too :0)
How do you think I've managed to have 4 husbands ?

You fed them beer? But, it was careless of you not to keep them in an
acofrolic haze thereafter.

Old 28-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Registered User

Yes, I've been wondering if the alchohol actually poisons them or if they just like the beer so much they don't care if they drown in it. Not a bad way to go though. Beats pellets.
Old 30-08-2005, 09:12 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net contains these words:

"David Rance" wrote in message
I read in the French version of the Which? magazine today that

beer
doesn't actually kill them. Just seems to make them drunk enough
not to be able (or not want!) to get away.

Works with men too :0)
How do you think I've managed to have 4 husbands ?

You fed them beer? But, it was careless of you not to keep them in

an
acofrolic haze thereafter.

This is a tricky one to find a gallant answer to. Pammy, I'm quite
sure, didn't need excessive applications of beer to get the boys to
stay put. Perhaps she overdid it, out of natural modesty, to the
extent that the poor saps no longer understood when they were well
off -- or maybe they even just got lost. Having been a third husband
at one stage of my checquered career, I feel I ought to be able to
offer more a substantial opinion. But I can't at the moment: I'll get
back to you after a couple more pints.

--
Mike.

Slugs and beer Lemmonie United Kingdom 13 05-07-2004 03:06 PM
Crickets like beer and slugs seek revenge Heidi Gardening 25 25-08-2003 04:22 AM
Slugs and beer! Buzzy Gardening 16 11-06-2003 01:56 PM
Which beer in the slugtrap ? HaaRoy United Kingdom 11 13-01-2003 08:32 PM
Beer dreams Robert cubitt United Kingdom 5 20-11-2002 07:50 PM