Old 14-09-2005, 05:17 PM
Joe McElvenney

Default Picking Pears

Hi,

I have just the one conference pear tree that usually produces
a good crop. In the past I've left picking them until the first
week in October but this year they seem to be falling off earlier
than usual and at this rate I won't have any left to pick. So to
my question; is the middle of September too early to pick them?
And, is there any simple way to tell the correct time to do this
as the method of gently lifting the fruit while twisting slightly
never seems to work for me.

Also, in general, are the apples/pears on a tree ready about
the same time or should they be picked over a period.

Worried - South Yorkshire
Old 16-09-2005, 12:59 PM
J Jackson

Joe McElvenney wrote:

: I have just the one conference pear tree that usually produces
: a good crop. In the past I've left picking them until the first
: week in October but this year they seem to be falling off earlier
: than usual and at this rate I won't have any left to pick.

I've noticed that my apples and pears seem a bit earlier this year.
However, any damaged fruit (bugs mould etc) will be the first to be shed
by the tree. My Bramley had a lot of insect pests this year and has
dropped bucket loads of fruit early.

: So to
: my question; is the middle of September too early to pick them?
: And, is there any simple way to tell the correct time to do this
: as the method of gently lifting the fruit while twisting slightly
: never seems to work for me.

The big problem is, it's time consuming and you need to do a walk round
everyday or you miss some.

If you have enough fruit - pick the ripest looking undamaged whole
fruit and try it. It is really is raw then wait. If it's ripe then pick
the rest. For cooking apples of course it might not matter.
Under ripe bramleys probably keep better than fully ripe ones.

: Also, in general, are the apples/pears on a tree ready about
: the same time or should they be picked over a period.

They can vary. It's been just over 2 weeks between picking my first
ripe Victoria plum to me clearing the tree this weekend.

The big thing to remember is that different varieties ripen at different
times. So while my discovery and Worcester pearmains and Rev wilkes
are all picked now, my suntan and ashmead kernel will not be picked till
mid/late oct (or even later). with other viarieties coming in between.

Old 16-09-2005, 11:28 PM
David

"Joe McElvenney" wrote in message
Hi,

I have just the one conference pear tree that usually produces
a good crop. In the past I've left picking them until the first
week in October but this year they seem to be falling off earlier
than usual and at this rate I won't have any left to pick. So to
my question; is the middle of September too early to pick them?
And, is there any simple way to tell the correct time to do this
as the method of gently lifting the fruit while twisting slightly
never seems to work for me.

Also, in general, are the apples/pears on a tree ready about
the same time or should they be picked over a period.

Worried - South Yorkshire

I know it won't help but I have exactly the same problem, incredible crop of
pears this year, all a nice size and most dropping of the tree still hard.
The high winds this week must have removed a hundred from the tree. We've
lifted them and currently they are lying on the kitchen table while we
figure out the next move......

regards,

David

Old 17-09-2005, 08:22 AM
Sally Holmes

David wrote:
I know it won't help but I have exactly the same problem, incredible
crop of pears this year, all a nice size and most dropping of the
tree still hard. The high winds this week must have removed a hundred
from the tree. We've lifted them and currently they are lying on the
kitchen table while we figure out the next move......

Pickled pears are delicious with ham. I use the recipe in Delia's Christmas
book, but there are plenty around.

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England

Old 17-09-2005, 08:55 AM
June Hughes

In message , Sally
Holmes writes
David wrote:
I know it won't help but I have exactly the same problem, incredible
crop of pears this year, all a nice size and most dropping of the
tree still hard. The high winds this week must have removed a hundred
from the tree. We've lifted them and currently they are lying on the
kitchen table while we figure out the next move......

Pickled pears are delicious with ham. I use the recipe in Delia's Christmas
book, but there are plenty around.

I have the same problem as David and appreciate your suggestion. Having
used Delia's Christmas book for years, I have never noticed pickled
pears. Am off to have a go. We have so many hard windfalls that it is
rather disheartening to think they are of no use.
--
June Hughes

Old 17-09-2005, 12:07 PM
J Jackson

June Hughes wrote:
: In message , Sally
: Holmes writes
:
: Pickled pears are delicious with ham. I use the recipe in Delia's Christmas
: book, but there are plenty around.
:
: I have the same problem as David and appreciate your suggestion. Having
: used Delia's Christmas book for years, I have never noticed pickled
: pears. Am off to have a go. We have so many hard windfalls that it is
: rather disheartening to think they are of no use.

Bottle them. gorgeous.

Pears - Pears.jpg (0/1) Steve Newport Edible Gardening 1 26-06-2006 06:23 AM
picking a small tree James Texas 6 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
picking a small tree in Austin Texas James Lawns 1 19-03-2003 12:44 AM
picking a small tree James Texas 6 16-03-2003 11:56 PM
Need help picking a grass Angie Gardening 3 04-03-2003 03:39 PM