Old 25-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Pedro Popadopolous

Default Buying a bit of my neighbours garden

Has anyone any idea to help me start negotiating?

Price per acre?

Thanks

Old 25-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Alan Holmes

"Pedro Popadopolous" wrote in message
Has anyone any idea to help me start negotiating?

Price per acre?

When was a 'bit' as much as an acre?

--
Alan

Reply to alan (dot) holmes27 (at) virgin (dot) net

Thanks

Old 25-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Harold Walker

"Pedro Popadopolous" wrote in message
Has anyone any idea to help me start negotiating?

Price per acre?

Thanks
Use the middle east approach....."I am but a poor man but"...these words
not to be taken too literally...most certainly do not appear to be too
anxious.....first of all it is up to you to decide the max. amount you are
prepared to pay....."If it is not much I wonder if you would like to sell
me xxx amoount of land"....there are so many waus of handling it......H who
spent his life negotiating contracts.

Old 25-09-2005, 02:48 PM

Depends where you are, what the area around is currently used for and
what you want it for. If is a just part of his garden then you will
just have to negotiate a price, if he suspects you want it to build
another house on then he will probably hold you to ransome. Value is
just what value you put on it in the end, what it is worth to you to
buy it.

Mike

Old 25-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Pedro Popadopolous" wrote in message
Has anyone any idea to help me start negotiating?

Price per acre?

Thanks

The going rate appears roughly that for building plots per acre, so be
prepared to pay a lot for a little!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 25-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Pedro Popadopolous

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Pedro Popadopolous" wrote in
message ...
Has anyone any idea to help me start negotiating?

Price per acre?

When was a 'bit' as much as an acre?

I thought if I knew how much an acre I could work out say an eighth....

If I had asked for the price of an eighth I thought many people might not
know...

Old 25-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Harold Walker

"Pedro Popadopolous" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Pedro Popadopolous" wrote in
message ...
Has anyone any idea to help me start negotiating?

Price per acre?

When was a 'bit' as much as an acre?////////when you live in Texas

Old 25-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Brian

"Pedro Popadopolous" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Pedro Popadopolous" wrote in
message ...
Has anyone any idea to help me start negotiating?

Price per acre?

When was a 'bit' as much as an acre?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I recently agreed to sell a 'bit' of my land for £2000~~~ he
is coming this week with his wheelbarrow!!
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 25-09-2005, 09:09 PM

My land, i.e. my garden, has just been registered with the
landregistry, and has been valued at something like =A380,000 an acre.

Mike

Old 25-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Harold Walker

wrote in message
oups.com...
My land, i.e. my garden, has just been registered with the
landregistry, and has been valued at something like £80,000 an acre.

Mike
in the words of the real estate sales people...location, locatio,
location.....I know of some land that 'aint worth a bucket of spit' for ten
acres.....H

Old 25-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Bob Hobden

"Pedro Popadopolous" wrote
Has anyone any idea to help me start negotiating?

Price per acre?

Depends on location, on how much it will add to your property and detract
from his.

Whatever you pay, and it will depend on the location, don't forget there
will be solicitors fees involved + Land registry fees so take the cost of
that into account as the seller will, no doubt, expect you to pay all fees.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 26-09-2005, 08:50 AM
Mike

"Pedro Popadopolous" wrote in message
Has anyone any idea to help me start negotiating?

Price per acre?

Thanks

Before you start any lengthy negotiations with reference to 'price per acre
building land' and 'price for a bit of agriculture land' ask ourself "What
do I want this bit of land for? How much is it worth to me?"

If it is worth £100.00 to you for what you want to do, i.e. extend your
garden then you have a price in mind.

Now go and see your neighbour and ask what they had in mind, if they say 'I
don't really know' then say that you have a figure in mind for that you want
to do with it and offer £100.00. If they come back and say 'I had thought of
more than that' they DO have a figure in mind and ask what it is. If they
come up with £1000.00, is it worth that to ou? If not, end of story.

When I was doing my business studies course, we had an exercise on marketing
and sales which included pricing of goods. The article cost to manufacture,
packaging, advertising etc etc, was, for example £1.00. "What will you sell
it for?" That was the excercise given to the groups. The groups came back
with various at around £1.50. "This article is on the market and selling
well at £3.75" 'How do you get that price?' we asked. "It's what the public
will pay for it"

How much is that bit of land worth "TO YOU"?

Would you pay £5000.00 to extend your garden?

Mike

Old 26-09-2005, 09:17 AM
p.k.

andCharlie Pridham wrote:

The going rate appears roughly that for building plots per acre, so be
prepared to pay a lot for a little!

exactly so, best part of 20 yeas ago, i sold the end 10m*10m bit of my
mother's garden to the rear neighbour to "square off" his L-shaped garden
for £3000 (I had power of attourney while she was in a nursing home). I've
just checked a website giving land value trends and, amazingly, that was
bang on the mark for residential building land o/s london.

Value to us, zero. Garden was if anything better proportioned without that
bit & we needed cash to pay fees.

Value to neigbour: Lots as odd difficlut to use L-shaped garden transformed
into nicely proportioned rectangle = easier to use and to sell.

pk

Old 26-09-2005, 09:25 AM
Harold Walker

.

When I was doing my business studies course, we had an exercise on
marketing
and sales which included pricing of goods. The article cost to
manufacture,
packaging, advertising etc etc, was, for example £1.00. "What will you
sell
it for?" That was the excercise given to the groups. The groups came back
with various at around £1.50. "This article is on the market and selling
well at £3.75" 'How do you get that price?' we asked. "It's what the
public
will pay for it"

How much is that bit of land worth "TO YOU"?

Mike

Suspect you also were told that there is no relationship between cost and
price except that the price must be greater than the cost......"What the
market will bare" being the operative words.....H

Old 27-09-2005, 03:31 AM
Tickettyboo

In ,
Pedro Popadopolous whispered softly in my ear...:
Has anyone any idea to help me start negotiating?

Price per acre?

Depending on the circumstances, there may be bigger concerns than price
to negotiate.
We have sold some of our large-ish garden to a neighbour. We did not
need / require such a large garden so, in theory, the sale was a good
idea for both parties. The price agreed was reasonable and was, in fact,
the original offer the neighbour made ( in other words what it was worth
to him and what he could afford) The only negotiating involved was to
satisfy our concerns that , at some future date another neighbour would
sell part of their garden and the combined area would then be big enough
for someone to use as a building plot. Whilst I don't want a big garden,
I don't want a new house at the bottom it. We got round the possibility
by means of a complicated ( but legally binding) agreement which our
neighbour was happy with.

--
Ticketty᧧