Old 29-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Tomato plants rotting?

Is this normal?

I've never noticed it happen in the past.

--
Alan

Reply to alan (dot) holmes27 (at) virgin (dot) net

Old 29-09-2005, 11:59 PM
Andy

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Is this normal?

I've never noticed it happen in the past.

If you mean individual side-stems are going off randomly
and getting covered with a dusty mould, then I think it's
normal. I just pick the mouldy stems off. They've only got
a few weeks to go anyway.

Andy.

Old 30-09-2005, 12:20 AM
JP in Lon

"Andy" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Is this normal?

I've never noticed it happen in the past.

If you mean individual side-stems are going off randomly
and getting covered with a dusty mould, then I think it's
normal. I just pick the mouldy stems off. They've only got
a few weeks to go anyway.

Talking of tomato plants not having long to go,
A while ago in a small north facing bed next to the house, we had a tomato
plant appear.
Now since it was north facing, we didn't deliberately plant it, but it
really went for it, and has flowered,
and fruited (only very small atm.) but unlikely to get close to ripe before
frosts.
However, just wondering if someone could suggest how it appeared out of no
where?

--
J.P. in London.

Old 30-09-2005, 08:35 AM
Malcolm

In article , JP in Lon
writes
"Andy" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Is this normal?

I've never noticed it happen in the past.

If you mean individual side-stems are going off randomly
and getting covered with a dusty mould, then I think it's
normal. I just pick the mouldy stems off. They've only got
a few weeks to go anyway.

Talking of tomato plants not having long to go,
A while ago in a small north facing bed next to the house, we had a tomato
plant appear.
Now since it was north facing, we didn't deliberately plant it, but it
really went for it, and has flowered,
and fruited (only very small atm.) but unlikely to get close to ripe before
frosts.
However, just wondering if someone could suggest how it appeared out of no
where?

Tomato seeds are capable of passing through the guts of birds (1) and
still being viable, so I would guess one hitched a lift into your
garden.

(1) And humans! When I were a lad I bird-watched on an old fashioned
sewage farm, the kind where the sludge, after spending a year in large
pits, was spread on fields on which crops were then grown. Tomato plants
flourished all over the place. I used to take tomatos home but for some
reason my mother wouldn't serve them in a salad but only ever made
chutney with them :-)

--
Malcolm
Old 30-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Richard Brooks

Andy wrote:
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Is this normal?

I've never noticed it happen in the past.

If you mean individual side-stems are going off randomly
and getting covered with a dusty mould, then I think it's
normal. I just pick the mouldy stems off. They've only got
a few weeks to go anyway.

Andy.

Are the unripe tomatoes going brown and hard ? If the powdery dust is
blight spore then you'll only be spreading the disease by making it
airborne.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0803/tomato_blight.asp
http://www.khlga.freeserve.co.uk/potato%20Blight.html

Richard.

Old 30-09-2005, 01:13 PM
Mike Lyle

Malcolm wrote:
In article , JP in Lon
writes

[...]
Talking of tomato plants not having long to go,
A while ago in a small north facing bed next to the house, we had

tomato plant appear.

[...]
However, just wondering if someone could suggest how it appeared

out
of no where?

Tomato seeds are capable of passing through the guts of birds (1)

and
still being viable, so I would guess one hitched a lift into your
garden.

(1) And humans! [...]

So much so that the Collins Field Guide to Wild Flowers lists, and
even illustrates, it as "a widespread escape from cultivation". This
kind of thing happens quite often, though the escapes don't tend to
establish viable populations. I got my first peony that way, though I
had to move house before it flowered.

A propos, how long have those Michaelmas daisies been growing beside
the M1?

--
Mike.

Old 30-09-2005, 01:51 PM
JP in Lon

"Malcolm" wrote in message

Tomato seeds are capable of passing through the guts of birds (1) and
still being viable, so I would guess one hitched a lift into your
garden.

(1) And humans! When I were a lad I bird-watched on an old fashioned
sewage farm, the kind where the sludge, after spending a year in large
pits, was spread on fields on which crops were then grown. Tomato plants
flourished all over the place. I used to take tomatos home but for some
reason my mother wouldn't serve them in a salad but only ever made
chutney with them :-)

Well, I sincerely hope that it came from a bird... :@)

What kind of protective gear would you have to wear in one of those places?

And surely some olfactory protection?, no?

--
J.P. in London.

Old 30-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Jupiter

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:35:52 +0100, Malcolm
wrote:

In article , JP in Lon
writes
"Andy" wrote in message

[...]

They grew in the filter beds themselves at our local sewage works when
I was young, constantly being gently sprayed by the liquid effluent
(i.e. fertiliser).. Excellent crops and some of the staff used to sell
the tomatoes!

Old 30-09-2005, 09:44 PM
sam

Jupiter wrote:
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:35:52 +0100, Malcolm
wrote:

In article , JP in Lon
writes

"Andy" wrote in message

[...]

Maybe some of the pips went out with the washing up water.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:00 AM
Alan Holmes

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Is this normal?

I've never noticed it happen in the past.

The tomatoes have now completely died off, I've tried to saave some of the
fruit, but I'm worried that it may not be good enough to eat.

And, the second problem is, will the virus, or whatever it was, stay in the
soil and affect next years plants?

I'm going to take the plants down to the tip rather than put them on the
compost heap.

Alan

Old 03-10-2005, 09:37 AM
Registered User

Location: Bridport, Dorset

Hi Alan,

I asked a similar question a few months ago, i.e. How do you sterilize the soil in a greenhouse?

I know that it should be replaced every three years, but is there a foolproof method of sterilizing it??

Regards

Drew
__________________
Loch Sloy
This I'll Defend
Old 03-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Mike Lyle

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Drew" wrote in message

[...]
I asked a similar question a few months ago, i.e. How do you
sterilize the soil in a greenhouse?

I know that it should be replaced every three years, but is there

foolproof method of sterilizing it??

I believe it can be sterilised in a microwave, but it could take a
long time if you have a lot of it.

Didn't they use to recommend dilute Jeyes Fluid? It always puzzled
me, as I couldn't see how it could avoid killing off the beneficial
organisms along with the harmful ones.

I did a brief Ggl on "sterilising soil", which should give you some
ideas. One site was about using a steam wallpaper stripper (bewa
it's a bloody pdf):
www.earlex.co.uk/pdfs/ss76.pdf

--
Mike.

Old 03-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Kay

In article , Mike Lyle mike_lyle_uk@REMO
VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes

Didn't they use to recommend dilute Jeyes Fluid? It always puzzled
me, as I couldn't see how it could avoid killing off the beneficial
organisms along with the harmful ones.

That would apply to any form of sterilisation, wouldn't it?

--
Kay

Old 03-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote:
In article , Mike Lyle
mike_lyle_uk@REMO VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes

Didn't they use to recommend dilute Jeyes Fluid? It always puzzled
me, as I couldn't see how it could avoid killing off the

beneficial
organisms along with the harmful ones.

That would apply to any form of sterilisation, wouldn't it?

I've always thought it must, yes; which is why I'd tend to say
replace the soil if possible. But I've never run a greenhouse, so I'm
being theoretical.

--
Mike.