Old 09-10-2005, 01:00 PM
iamwhatiam

Default How do I grow FIGS from seed ???

I have some figs in the garden that are very ripe, and sweet and
tastey.

Would the seed be viable to grow ?? How do I seperate the seed from
the pulp ?? What do the seed look like ???
Old 09-10-2005, 02:07 PM
gentlegreen

"iamwhatiam" wrote in message
news
I have some figs in the garden that are very ripe, and sweet and
tastey.

Would the seed be viable to grow ?? How do I seperate the seed from
the pulp ?? What do the seed look like ???

Judging by the one growing out of my back door frame all you'd need to do is
pick most of the pulp off the seeds and sow shallowly in gritty compost.

I don't know how true they breed though and I guess you might want a
cultivar more suited to the UK - in Bristol there are several huge self-sown
fig trees by the river, but I don't think they bear viable fruit ....

..

Old 09-10-2005, 02:08 PM
gentlegreen

"gentlegreen" wrote in message
o.uk...

"iamwhatiam" wrote in message
news
I have some figs in the garden that are very ripe, and sweet and
tastey.

snip

I don't know how true they breed though and I guess you might want a
cultivar more suited to the UK - in Bristol there are several huge
self-sown fig trees by the river, but I don't think they bear viable fruit

I guess I meant I wondered if they came true from seed .

.

Old 09-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Brian

"iamwhatiam" wrote in message
news
I have some figs in the garden that are very ripe, and sweet and
tastey.

Would the seed be viable to grow ?? How do I seperate the seed from
the pulp ?? What do the seed look like ???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Fig that you eat is not a true fruit. You eat the swollen stalk.
The whole 'fruit' is turned inside-out so that the fruits are on the inside.
These are drupes and it is their stones that give the gritty feel.
Pollination is achieved by a minute moth entering at the eye. I don't see
this happening in the UK.
If you have good ripe figs, then leave well alone and be grateful~~ You
have done well.
Best Wishes Brian..

Old 09-10-2005, 02:35 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from iamwhatiam contains these words:

I have some figs in the garden that are very ripe, and sweet and
tastey.

Would the seed be viable to grow ??

Probably.

How do I seperate the seed from
the pulp ??

Why do you need to ask?

What do the seed look like ???

Tiny globes about the size of hundreds and thousands.

And yes, ones taken from dried figs grow like weeds.

But you'd be far better either taking cuttings or layering the end of a
branch.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 09-10-2005, 02:53 PM
Mike Lyle

iamwhatiam wrote:
I have some figs in the garden that are very ripe, and sweet and
tastey.

Would the seed be viable to grow ?? How do I seperate the seed from
the pulp ?? What do the seed look like ???

The seeds are the things inside the fruits that look like seeds. You
can separate them from the pulp by removing them from the pulp.
Viable seeds will germinate if they're viable.

--
Mike.

Old 09-10-2005, 03:15 PM
Kay

In article , iamwhatiam
writes
I have some figs in the garden that are very ripe, and sweet and
tastey.

Would the seed be viable to grow ?? How do I seperate the seed from
the pulp ?? What do the seed look like ???

Your figs won't have any seed as the fig wasp which pollinates the fig
doesn't live in this country.

If you want to propagate, you'd do it more easily by air layering.
Scrape the bark a bit, wrap some moist compost around, and secure the
whole lot with clingfilm. When roots have made their way through the
compost and to the clingfilm wrapping, you can prune the branch off and
pot it up as a new plant. Probably a bit late in the season to do it
this year, but it won't do major damage if it doean't work, so you could
give it a go.
--
Kay

Old 09-10-2005, 03:17 PM
Kay

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from iamwhatiam contains these words:

I have some figs in the garden that are very ripe, and sweet and
tastey.

Would the seed be viable to grow ??

Probably.

How do I seperate the seed from
the pulp ??

Why do you need to ask?

What do the seed look like ???

Tiny globes about the size of hundreds and thousands.

And yes, ones taken from dried figs grow like weeds.

Yes, but dried figs are from abroad, and have been fertilised. We don't
have the fig wasp in the UK, so we shouldn't get seeds either.

Old 09-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Kay

In article , Mike Lyle mike_lyle_uk@REMO
VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes
iamwhatiam wrote:
I have some figs in the garden that are very ripe, and sweet and
tastey.

Would the seed be viable to grow ?? How do I seperate the seed from
the pulp ?? What do the seed look like ???

The seeds are the things inside the fruits that look like seeds. You
can separate them from the pulp by removing them from the pulp.
Viable seeds will germinate if they're viable.

Remember this fig was grown in the UK - can figs produce seeds if
they're not pollinated? I didn't think they could.
--
Kay

Old 09-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond contains these words:

The Fig that you eat is not a true fruit. You eat the swollen stalk.
The whole 'fruit' is turned inside-out so that the fruits are on the inside.
These are drupes and it is their stones that give the gritty feel.
Pollination is achieved by a minute moth entering at the eye. I don't see
this happening in the UK.
If you have good ripe figs, then leave well alone and be grateful~~ You
have done well.

Some varieties of figs don't require the wasp for pollination, notably
Brown Turkey.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

if you can grow them there yo can grow them anywhere! Jonno[_13_] Australia 0 21-09-2007 01:13 AM
Grow Vertical - Grow an Herb Garden in just 15 inches of space Texas Moon Gardening 0 02-09-2005 03:52 AM
Shade grow vs. Sun Grow Areca Palms Jason Gardening 2 23-04-2004 04:05 AM
figs and birds John Savage Australia 11 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Brown Turkey figs? Jane Edible Gardening 6 05-02-2003 03:11 AM