Old 13-10-2005, 11:50 AM
brit-dub

Default brick / block shed info please

Hi

I've got an 8 x 12 shed, which I erected some time ago to store garden tools
and furniture. The problem is its now been broken into 5 times and apart
from the damage I've lost a lot of tools. So I would like to build a block
building with a strong secure door and windows, to try and prevent the
happening again.

I have phoned the local planning office (Daventry) and they have asked me to
submit a sketch and they seem to think I will get permission. The question
is, what size should I build it ?

Does anyone here recommend a size that the planning office won't object to ?
I'm sure there must be limits to the size, would a 8x12 be ok ?

TIA

Brit-deb

Old 13-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Mike Lyle

brit-dub wrote:
[...]
Does anyone here recommend a size that the planning office won't
object to ? I'm sure there must be limits to the size, would a 8x12
be ok ?

We all live in different areas, with different planning habits. The
people to ask are the Planning Office themselves: in my experience,
they're always ready to give advice, and may well have a leaflet to
give you. If there's any doubt, follow up with a letter, and don't
lose the reply!

--
Mike.

Old 13-10-2005, 12:37 PM
chris French

In message , brit-dub
writes
Hi

I've got an 8 x 12 shed, which I erected some time ago to store garden tools
and furniture. The problem is its now been broken into 5 times and apart
from the damage I've lost a lot of tools. So I would like to build a block
building with a strong secure door and windows, to try and prevent the
happening again.

I have phoned the local planning office (Daventry) and they have asked me to
submit a sketch and they seem to think I will get permission. The question
is, what size should I build it ?

Does anyone here recommend a size that the planning office won't object to ?
I'm sure there must be limits to the size, would a 8x12 be ok ?

why not just speak to the council again?

There aren't specific size limits as such, you may not even need
permission at all. It relates to the size of the building, it's distance
from the house, and the size of the garden

Though if the building would be nearer than 5 metres to the house and
more than 10 m^3 volume (an 8x12 shed would be be) then it would be
treated as an extension to the house for these purposes (this has
implications for 'permitted development rights')

Have a look at:

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou...ents/page/odpm
_plan_606151-04.hcsp#P101_18228
--
Chris French

Old 13-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Bob Hobden

"brit-dub" wrote

I've got an 8 x 12 shed, which I erected some time ago to store garden
tools and furniture. The problem is its now been broken into 5 times and
apart from the damage I've lost a lot of tools. So I would like to build a
block building with a strong secure door and windows, to try and prevent
the happening again.

If it's for your allotment then give up and get a cheap Landrover Defender
van like us to use as a mobile allotment shed. You never have to leave any
tools on the plot then.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 17-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Mike Lyle

Bob Hobden wrote:
"brit-dub" wrote

I've got an 8 x 12 shed, which I erected some time ago to store
garden tools and furniture. The problem is its now been broken

into
5 times and apart from the damage I've lost a lot of tools. So I
would like to build a block building with a strong secure door and
windows, to try and prevent the happening again.

If it's for your allotment then give up and get a cheap Landrover
Defender van like us to use as a mobile allotment shed. You never
have to leave any tools on the plot then.

Very sound advice. Needn't be a Rover, though: way back I once had to
borrow my ex's Fiat 127 (irrelevant story omitted for sanity): in the
back was a full set of tools including her lawnmower.

--
Mike.

Jane finds her garden:brick wall question Jane Lumley United Kingdom 50 05-12-2003 09:34 PM
Jane finds her garden:brick wall question Jane Lumley United Kingdom 0 29-11-2003 07:17 PM
WTB: brick Jane Peppler North Carolina 5 09-05-2003 10:44 AM
Ivy: How to get it to cling to my brick wall? Heather Gardening 8 04-04-2003 07:56 AM
Cutting red clay brick Bandit Gardening 1 19-03-2003 12:20 AM