Old 22-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Will

Default Moss on Driveway

Can anyone point me to a cheap moss killer for my block paved driveway, I've
been to Homebase / B&Q etc but most moss killers there are for the lawn.
I've tried ordinary weedkiller but it won't work. Will something like
watered down Domestos or similar do the job?

Thanks

Old 22-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Emrys Davies

"Will" wrote in message
Can anyone point me to a cheap moss killer for my block paved

driveway, I've
been to Homebase / B&Q etc but most moss killers there are for the

lawn.
I've tried ordinary weedkiller but it won't work. Will something like
watered down Domestos or similar do the job?

Thanks

I recommend Jeyes Fluid. Follow the directions on the tin.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 22-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Trefor Jones

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
"Will" wrote in message
Can anyone point me to a cheap moss killer for my block paved

driveway, I've
been to Homebase / B&Q etc but most moss killers there are for the

lawn.
I've tried ordinary weedkiller but it won't work. Will something like
watered down Domestos or similar do the job?

Thanks

I recommend Jeyes Fluid. Follow the directions on the tin.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Jeys Fluid is excellent but does pong. Try Fungo Moss killer.

Old 23-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Chris Hogg

"Will" wrote in message
Can anyone point me to a cheap moss killer for my block paved

driveway, I've
been to Homebase / B&Q etc but most moss killers there are for the

lawn.
I've tried ordinary weedkiller but it won't work. Will something like
watered down Domestos or similar do the job?

Thanks

I recommend Jeyes Fluid. Follow the directions on the tin.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Jeys Fluid is excellent but does pong. Try Fungo Moss killer.

I agree, JF pongs for weeks of a chemical toilet (if you know what
that smells like) and it may also stain your blockwork.

Yes, dilute bleach does work, but nothing will keep it away for ever.

--
Chris

Old 23-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Mike Lyle

"Will" wrote in message
Can anyone point me to a cheap moss killer for my block paved
driveway, I've been to Homebase / B&Q etc but most moss killers
there are for the lawn. I've tried ordinary weedkiller but it
won't work. Will something like watered down Domestos or similar
do the job?

Thanks

I recommend Jeyes Fluid. Follow the directions on the tin.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Jeys Fluid is excellent but does pong. Try Fungo Moss killer.

I agree, JF pongs for weeks of a chemical toilet (if you know what
that smells like) and it may also stain your blockwork.

Yes, dilute bleach does work, but nothing will keep it away for

ever.

That's the downside of the upside of gardening. You provide the
environment, the life-form will thrive. This includes moss, green
slime, ants, and probably evil spirits. We can manipulate the
environment only so far, and no further. On balance, I like it that
way.

--
Mike.

Old 23-10-2005, 11:36 PM
Registered User

Location: Worthing, England

Have you tried ROUNDUP? It's pretty lethal. Kills all the weeds in our concrete pathways. But of course new weeds/moss will always germinate again, so you need repeat treatment every few weeks.

Spray-on bleach is also effective.

Also, before applying the chemicals, sweep the surface moss away with a stiff broom.

This problem is one reason we'd never have block paving. Good quality concrete slabs and/or selected gravel can give a really professional look, without weed or moss problems. We have a crazy paving patio in cotswold slabs and gravel/slabs in the front. No moss.
Old 24-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Registered User

Location: Wales, and proud of it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom
Have you tried ROUNDUP? It's pretty lethal. Kills all the weeds in our concrete pathways. But of course new weeds/moss will always germinate again, so you need repeat treatment every few weeks.

Spray-on bleach is also effective.

Also, before applying the chemicals, sweep the surface moss away with a stiff broom.

This problem is one reason we'd never have block paving. Good quality concrete slabs and/or selected gravel can give a really professional look, without weed or moss problems. We have a crazy paving patio in cotswold slabs and gravel/slabs in the front. No moss.
last winter I discovered that road salt kills moss quicker than anything I have ever come across. Just sprinkle lightly and brush it in with a stiff brush.
Old 27-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Chris Hogg

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:35:00 +0000, garden spider
wrote:

last winter I discovered that road salt kills moss quicker than
anything I have ever come across. Just sprinkle lightly and brush it in
with a stiff brush.

But keep it away from concrete. Many years ago I scattered salt onto
part of a concrete path to deter ice, and the surface of that area
steadily disintegrated over the next few years.

Block paving is often concrete.

--
Chris