Old 29-10-2005, 08:58 AM
Simon Adebisi

Default Quick Growing Ivy

What's a good quick growing ivy that does not damage walls and fences much?

Thanks in Advance
Simon

Old 29-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Tumbleweed

"Simon Adebisi" wrote in message
. uk...
What's a good quick growing ivy that does not damage walls and fences
much?

Thanks in Advance
Simon

why does it need to be ivy? If you want to cover a wall plenty of other
candidates including evergreens.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 29-10-2005, 10:29 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Simon Adebisi wrote:
What's a good quick growing ivy that does not damage walls and fences much?

The common one? That is true of almost all varieties of both H. helix
and H. colchicum - the highly variegated ones tend to grow more slowly,
and there are some dwarf varieties, but most are vigorous.

It's taking the ivy off a wall that damages the wall :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Simon Adebisi

What else would your recomend? I am trying to get more privacy on my fence
qucikly.

Thanks again

Old 29-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Sacha

On 29/10/05 17:07, in article
, "Simon Adebisi"
wrote:

What else would your recomend? I am trying to get more privacy on my fence
qucikly.

Can you tell us the area in which you live and whether you want a plant that
is a self-clinging climber, or one that needs wires or trellis to support
it? And does it *have* to be a climber or could it be evergreen shrubs in
front of the fence? Which way does it face and does your garden get strong,
cold winds or is it in a frost pocket? Is there a flower bed in front of
it?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Tumbleweed

"Simon Adebisi" wrote in message
o.uk...
What else would your recomend? I am trying to get more privacy on my fence
qucikly.

Thanks again

there are lots of plants that are faster growing than ivy, I dont think that
is a good particularily good choice for 'quick'. Most clematis, including
evergreens such as armanii for example, would be faster to establish.
Honeysuckle would be another relatively quick one. 'look up 'mile a minute'
vine for exceptionally quick (and unkempt and messy) results. Are you
growing up a trellis or something? (otherwise a fence would seem to provide
the privacy by itself)

Old 29-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Simon Adebisi

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 29/10/05 17:07, in article
, "Simon Adebisi"
wrote:

What else would your recomend? I am trying to get more privacy on my
fence
qucikly.

Can you tell us the area in which you live and whether you want a plant
that
is a self-clinging climber, or one that needs wires or trellis to support
it? And does it *have* to be a climber or could it be evergreen shrubs
in
front of the fence? Which way does it face and does your garden get
strong,
cold winds or is it in a frost pocket? Is there a flower bed in front of
it?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Self climber would be good but I could put up a trellis. Was wanting to have
a climber but no evergreen would be ok too. strong winds yes I live within
throwing distance of the river Tyne and my garden back onto it. No flower
bed at the mo but maybe later? Just moved into the house you see, all grass
at the mo.

Old 29-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Simon Adebisi wrote:

Self climber would be good but I could put up a trellis. Was wanting to have
a climber but no evergreen would be ok too. strong winds yes I live within
throwing distance of the river Tyne and my garden back onto it. No flower
bed at the mo but maybe later? Just moved into the house you see, all grass
at the mo.

Don't get put off ivy as something to make a green cover to a fence,
as it is a first-class plant for the job. Just be aware that it
tends to get out of control unless you hack it back. Ivies can take
cold, wet, wind, drought (or what passes for it in the UK) and are
resistant to most pests. Their main trouble is that they tend to
become pests if planted in the wrong place ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Registered User

Location: Worthing, England

Try passion flower! I put a small 18" plant in a border against a tatty hedge back in June, and it's already covered a two foot square hole in the hedge, and has reached a height of 6 foot. I've never seen anything grow so fast. Lush ivy-like foliage, with the bonus of a succession of mauve & white flowers.

As for ivy, you could try the lovely variagated hedera canariensis "Gloire de Marengo" ( and as I'm sure you know, Napoleon won a huge battle at Marengo before Wellington thumped him.....)
Old 30-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Sacha

On 29/10/05 21:33, in article
, "Simon Adebisi"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 29/10/05 17:07, in article
, "Simon Adebisi"
wrote:

[...]

Although my grandmother came from Co. Durham, I can't claim to know that
area at all but suggest the first step is to talk to your local nursery and
find out what they advise as being hardy and wind tolerant in your area -
someone here will probably know, too. I think you could grow the winter
flowering jasmine up a fence and onto trellis and Lonicera (honeysuckle)
would be good, too and some are evergreen. I don't think there's a Clematis
that would remain evergreen in your area but there is a huge variety of
these and they look lovely draping themselves over a trellis. The other
good way to find out what would work in your location is to look at your
neighbours' gardens and ask them for advice, too.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-10-2005, 12:57 PM
Registered User

I would recommend garrya elliptica.
It does need wires to support it but is relatively quick to cover a wall ( or fence), is evergreen, has wonderful catkins when nothing else is around in winter, and is well behaved.

It is usually just grown as a shrub, but when grown as a wall trained shrub the catkins are shown off much better.

You could even combine it with another climber, such as a clematis or lonicera for summer interest.

there is a profile and a photo of garrya elliptica at

http://www.applegategardens.co.uk/ac...elliptica.html

linette
Old 30-10-2005, 09:37 PM
Tumbleweed

"Simon Adebisi" wrote in message
.uk...

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 29/10/05 17:07, in article
, "Simon Adebisi"
wrote:

[...]

What I meant was, if you wanted privacy, isnt the fence giving that? hence
my thought that it might be one of those with say 4ft fence at bottom, 2ft
trellis at top, or similar. Where is the 'privacy' issue? Do you need it
higher than the fence?

Old 01-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Duncan

"Simon Adebisi" wrote in message
.uk...

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 29/10/05 17:07, in article
, "Simon Adebisi"
wrote:

[...]

Which side of the Tyne are you on? How near the sea?

Here in Sunderland, ivy grows like a weed on a west-facing brick wall, in
the only place in the garden to get winter sun. The other side of the wall
faces the sea (about 50 yards away). Lonicera is doing quite well on the
same wall, but took a couple of years to get going. I've also got good
growth of a Passiflora next to the ivy. It survived last winter following
total defoliation by snails, so I'm quite pleased it's bounced back.

I'd get rid of the ivy tomorrow, if I had any idea what to replace it with
and not leave a bare wall. Must be something tolerant of salty
northeasterlies. I'm not optimistic that the passiflora would spread to fill
the ivy's space, as that corner is just that bit more exposed to the winds.

Duncan

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
quick question needing quick answer: what lighting? Jason Marr Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
quick question needing quick answer: what lighting? Christopher Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 08-02-2003 08:27 PM
quick question needing quick answer: what lighting? Jason Marr Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 08-02-2003 08:27 PM