Old 02-11-2005, 03:41 PM
David Rance

Default The welcome message

Following on from what people have been saying about the nugget site,
home of the FAQs, being down, I've altered the abc message to include a
pointer to Cormaic's site which also has some of the FAQ files.

However can anyone give me any info on who owns the nugget site? Was it
Chunky and has he closed it down for good? Has he, perhaps, departed
this earth? If so, we need to see if we can retrieve those that Cormaic
hasn't got and find a new home for them. If it isn't possible to do
that, maybe some of you have downloaded them and have got them on your
own computers somewhere.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 02-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

The urgring hosted by Tony is also somewhat out of date. I know some
other urgring garden owners hosted by him are no longer urglers, or
(like us) have long since moved from the featured garden. Maybe we
should ask him to do some pruning :-)

I've forgotten which site hosted which FAQ. One or two (like
"suppliers") must be badly out of date by now and should perhaps be
dropped anyway. What do others think?

I'm not interested in maintaining the shade FAQ and my collaborator has
long since disappeared from urg.

I think usenet has changed - people dipping in for immediate answers to
one question rather than joining a group and staying around - and the
web now has far more information available. I'm not sure there is a need
for FAQs. The one purpose of providing information, is met elsewhere,
and the other purpose, of saving the group from answering the same old
questions over and over again, isn't fulfilled because people no longer
are aware of FAQs as a concept and don't look for them.

It would be interesting to see that site stats for the FAQs, but with
Chunky and Cormaic both out of action, we don't have that information.
--
Kay

Old 03-11-2005, 06:11 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

It would be interesting to see that site stats for the FAQs, but with
Chunky and Cormaic both out of action, we don't have that information.

I do have 100 meg of available webspace...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 03-11-2005, 06:12 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

Is Cormaic out of action?

Out of regular urg action.

Old 03-11-2005, 07:47 AM
Kay

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Kay contains these words:

Is Cormaic out of action?

urgwise, yes. Not otherwise, but just completely snowed under

--
Kay

Old 03-11-2005, 07:59 AM
Mike

Is Cormaic out of action?

urgwise, yes. Not otherwise, but just completely snowed under

Snow? What part of the country?

Mike

Old 03-11-2005, 09:11 AM
David Rance

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 Kay wrote:

I've forgotten which site hosted which FAQ. One or two (like
"suppliers") must be badly out of date by now and should perhaps be
dropped anyway. What do others think?

I think that nugget hosted all of them (but I could be wrong) with
copies on some other sites.

I think usenet has changed - people dipping in for immediate answers to
one question rather than joining a group and staying around -

But I thought that that was the whole idea of FAQs. We shall probably
never know how many people did just "dip in", found the immediate answer
they wanted, and went away again without us ever knowing they'd been.
And I should think that the search engines probably come up with links
to those FAQs.

It would be interesting to see that site stats for the FAQs, but with
Chunky and Cormaic both out of action, we don't have that information.

I've seen only one message from Chunky in all the years that I've been
here! Cormaic is busier than ever which is why we don't see much of him
here these days.

OK, fair enough, if others feel the same way. Does that mean then that
we have no need of the welcome message any more?

David

Old 03-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Martin Bonner

David Rance wrote:
this earth? If so, we need to see if we can retrieve those that Cormaic
hasn't got and find a new home for them.

If it isn't possible to do
that, maybe some of you have downloaded them and have got them on your
own computers somewhere.

Alternatively, the way back machine (http://www.archive.org/) appears
to have the full set from 2004:
http://web.archive.org/web/200410100...FAQ/index.html

(watch the wrap)

Old 03-11-2005, 03:35 PM
David Rance

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 Martin Bonner wrote:

this earth? If so, we need to see if we can retrieve those that Cormaic
hasn't got and find a new home for them.

If it isn't possible to do
that, maybe some of you have downloaded them and have got them on your
own computers somewhere.

Alternatively, the way back machine (http://www.archive.org/) appears
to have the full set from 2004:
http://web.archive.org/web/200410100....co.uk/MetaFAQ
/index.html

Hey, that's marvellous! I didn't know anything about that site. What a
treasure!

Thanks, Martin!

David

Old 03-11-2005, 03:55 PM
JennyC

"Kay" wrote
I think usenet has changed - people dipping in for immediate answers to
one question rather than joining a group and staying around - and the
web now has far more information available. I'm not sure there is a need
for FAQs.

100% agree !
They were very useful a few years ago before we had Google "~)

It would be interesting to see that site stats for the FAQs, but with
Chunky and Cormaic both out of action, we don't have that information.
Kay

Mail sent to Cormaic........
Jenny

Old 03-11-2005, 03:58 PM
JennyC

"David Rance" wrote
OK, fair enough, if others feel the same way. Does that mean then that
we have no need of the welcome message any more?
David

It's still useful for all the other stuff.......
Jenny

Old 03-11-2005, 06:11 PM
David Rance

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 JennyC wrote:

"David Rance" wrote
OK, fair enough, if others feel the same way. Does that mean then that
we have no need of the welcome message any more?
David

It's still useful for all the other stuff.......
Jenny

OK, I'll keep on posting it then.

David

Old 03-11-2005, 08:15 PM
JennyC

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 JennyC wrote:

"David Rance" wrote
OK, fair enough, if others feel the same way. Does that mean then that
we have no need of the welcome message any more?
David

It's still useful for all the other stuff.......
Jenny

OK, I'll keep on posting it then.
David

Cormaic says:

"I haven't processed the stats for ages, but I know the FAQs still
attract a lot of attention. I'll run the logs through the analysis program
tomorrow and get back to you"

Watch this space :~)
Jenny

Old 03-11-2005, 09:09 PM
David Rance

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 JennyC wrote:

Cormaic says:

"I haven't processed the stats for ages, but I know the FAQs still
attract a lot of attention. I'll run the logs through the analysis program
tomorrow and get back to you"

Does he know that the nugget site is down?

David

Old 06-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Kay
writes

I'm not sure there is a need
for FAQs. The one purpose of providing information, is met elsewhere,
and the other purpose, of saving the group from answering the same old
questions over and over again,

I don't agree Kay, I think people tend to trust FAQ's from newsgroups
more than commercial sites, who after all, have something to sell, so
might reasonably be expected to slant the answers and questions in their
particular favour.

I think the faq's and the opinions of people who actually garden is
replacing what the WHICH magazine used to do but then got all silly and
went 'meedya wise' and inserted a lot of rubbish into their
publications.

I would trust a review or opinion of what you or the French's or Janet b
or David P, or any of the other regulars care to share and I'm one of
the most cynical people I know

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Changes to the welcome message. David Rance United Kingdom 16 31-05-2011 05:29 PM
Welcome message David Rance United Kingdom 1 02-11-2005 06:17 PM
[IBC] WELCOME MESSAGE Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 21-08-2003 02:43 AM
Message To all Indians who are active in agriculture in any way. Avishai H. Kolatkar sci.agriculture 0 05-04-2003 12:32 PM
Test Message Tom Gardening 0 09-03-2003 08:32 PM