Old 02-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Glenda

Default Pomegranate from seed

Is it possible to grow anything from pomegranate seed? Any information
gratefully received.

Glenda Young

--
10 Years! Coronation Street Weekly Updates for th'Internet
http://www.corrieweeklyupdates.btinternet.co.uk
Old 02-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Mike Lyle

Glenda wrote:
Is it possible to grow anything from pomegranate seed? Any

information
gratefully received.

Glenda Young

Only pomegranates, I'm afraid.

--
Mike.

Old 02-11-2005, 07:29 PM
shazzbat

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Glenda wrote:
Is it possible to grow anything from pomegranate seed? Any

information
gratefully received.

Glenda Young

Only pomegranates, I'm afraid.

Big grin ;-))

But slightly more use for the OP, hopefully at least, you can probably grow
a plant from it, but unlikely to produce fruit in UK. But don't let me stop
you trying, you never know.

Steve

Old 02-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:
Glenda wrote:

Is it possible to grow anything from pomegranate seed? Any

information
gratefully received.

Only pomegranates, I'm afraid.

Shucks. Beat me to it :-)

A pomegranate makes a good patio plant, and mine seems to be fairly
hardy. The mild frosts we have had in the past 5 years haven't
worried it, and have got down to -10 Celcius briefly. It is also
very drought resistant, though it respond by dropping its leaves.
I have not get got it to flower, but it has very attractive flowers
in hotter climates.

You won't get fruit in this miserable climate. It needs a LOT more
heat and sun than we get.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Glenda contains these words:

Is it possible to grow anything from pomegranate seed? Any information
gratefully received.

Yes. they come up like weeds. I'm even turning a couple of this year's
crop into bonsai.

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/bonsai.html

--
Rusty

Old 02-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:
Glenda wrote:
Is it possible to grow anything from pomegranate seed? Any

information
gratefully received.

Glenda Young

Only pomegranates, I'm afraid.

Wrong! Only pomegranate seedlings...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 02-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

But slightly more use for the OP, hopefully at least, you can probably grow
a plant from it, but unlikely to produce fruit in UK. But don't let me stop
you trying, you never know.

In a sunny sheltered position they will, allegedly, but they're not
fully hardy, so you'd have to grow it in a container and wheel it out in
the spring.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 02-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Sacha

On 2/11/05 19:34, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:
Glenda wrote:

Is it possible to grow anything from pomegranate seed? Any

information
gratefully received.

Only pomegranates, I'm afraid.

Shucks. Beat me to it :-)

A pomegranate makes a good patio plant, and mine seems to be fairly
hardy. The mild frosts we have had in the past 5 years haven't
worried it, and have got down to -10 Celcius briefly. It is also
very drought resistant, though it respond by dropping its leaves.
I have not get got it to flower, but it has very attractive flowers
in hotter climates.

You won't get fruit in this miserable climate. It needs a LOT more
heat and sun than we get.

I've seen it flowering beautifully as a border shrub in the Channel Islands
but never fruiting. But aren't there two kinds that one can grow in this
country - larger and smaller leafed? Or am I dreaming?!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes
On 2/11/05 19:34, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:
Glenda wrote:

[...]

There's a dwarf one, which makes a good bonsai subject. Chiltern sell
the seed.
--
Kay

Old 03-11-2005, 01:08 AM
Richard Brooks

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

But slightly more use for the OP, hopefully at least, you can probably grow
a plant from it, but unlikely to produce fruit in UK. But don't let me stop
you trying, you never know.

In a sunny sheltered position they will, allegedly, but they're not
fully hardy, so you'd have to grow it in a container and wheel it out in
the spring.

Would the fruit be edible ?

Some articles, for instance on growing oranges from seed say that the
fruit will be awful.

Richard.

--
Celebrate Diwali safely!

Keep an eye on those naked flames.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:16 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Richard Brooks contains these words:

In a sunny sheltered position they will, allegedly, but they're not
fully hardy, so you'd have to grow it in a container and wheel it out in
the spring.

Would the fruit be edible ?

Some articles, for instance on growing oranges from seed say that the
fruit will be awful.

No idea. I've only heard that fruit has been produced, but where, when
and how often and with what results I don't know. I'm going to try one
under glass. (I do hope they're self-fertile...)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 03-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades writes:
| The message
| from Richard Brooks contains these words:
|
| In a sunny sheltered position they will, allegedly, but they're not
| fully hardy, so you'd have to grow it in a container and wheel it out in
| the spring.

My experience is that pomegranates are muhc hardier than is made
out. The grow in places which get VERY cold in winter.

| Would the fruit be edible ?
|
| Some articles, for instance on growing oranges from seed say that the
| fruit will be awful.
|
| No idea. I've only heard that fruit has been produced, but where, when
| and how often and with what results I don't know. I'm going to try one
| under glass. (I do hope they're self-fertile...)

Oranges ripen indifferently in the UK, but the fruit is perfectly
edible. Given that pomegranates rarely even set, the question of
whether they will ripen is moot.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

[IBC] Pomegranate Louis Brooks Bonsai 16 02-02-2005 01:18 AM
[IBC] Pomegranate seeds john heller Bonsai 0 26-11-2003 06:22 AM
[IBC] Pomegranate training Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 3 03-03-2003 02:39 PM
Pomegranate training Mauricio Drelichman Bonsai 2 01-03-2003 09:28 PM
Pomegranate seeds Frogleg Edible Gardening 4 23-01-2003 04:54 PM