Old 04-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Janet Tweedy

Default anyone used a BE600 Viking leaf vacuum?

I'm thinking about getting a leaf vacuum /shredder for getting leaves
off the hundreds of pots and cold frame etc.
Have several large trees with large leaves.
Has anyone got or used a Viking BE600 vacuum /leaf shredder to comment
upon?
Picture here
http://www.mower-magic.co.uk/acatalo...ower_Vacs.html

If not should I wait and save up for Stihl? they have several models
but come in at a much heftier price..
Is it like shredders, in that you get as big as you can afford or live
to regret it ?

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 04-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Bob Hobden

"Janet Tweedy" wrote
I'm thinking about getting a leaf vacuum /shredder for getting leaves off
the hundreds of pots and cold frame etc.
Have several large trees with large leaves.
Has anyone got or used a Viking BE600 vacuum /leaf shredder to comment
upon?
Picture here
http://www.mower-magic.co.uk/acatalo...ower_Vacs.html

If not should I wait and save up for Stihl? they have several models but
come in at a much heftier price..
Is it like shredders, in that you get as big as you can afford or live to
regret it ?

Stihl and Viking are the same firm.
Viking are the machines for the ordinary gardener as apposed to the
commercial gardener Stihl products.
Thus the Viking Leaf blower/shredder is electric.
http://www.stihl.co.uk/html/default_...tegory=product

--
Regards
Bob

Old 04-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Robert

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
I'm thinking about getting a leaf vacuum /shredder for getting leaves
off the hundreds of pots and cold frame etc.
Have several large trees with large leaves.
Has anyone got or used a Viking BE600 vacuum /leaf shredder to comment
upon?
Picture here
http://www.mower-magic.co.uk/acatalo...ower_Vacs.html

If not should I wait and save up for Stihl? they have several models
but come in at a much heftier price..
Is it like shredders, in that you get as big as you can afford or live
to regret it ?

I bought one a couple of weeks ago for clearing the leaves on our paved
areas (I use the mower to pick up the leaves on the lawns). I was
offered a very good price by our local horticultural/garden equipment
suppliers and as I am satisfied with my Viking hedge trimmer I thought
it was worth trying out.

Cons - I expected better build quality - some sharp plastic edges are
evident and the design could be better - to make it easier to empty the
leaf bag without dismantling the kit, and swapping between blower and
vacuum. The online pictures of it show it with a plug and socket
adjacent to the motor - this is a useful feature that is unfortunately
restricted to our continental cousins - I will modify mine.
Pros - it is light weight, the lightest I could find, and seems to be
remarkably effective - even on wet leaves and the shredding/compaction
is very good. We usually get heaps of leaves up against hedges which I
pick up with boards and move in the wheelbarrow, however, as the
shredding/compaction is so good I will try using the new toy.

If you intend to use it for lawns and large areas then go for a Stihl if
you don't mind the greater weight (and price).
--
Robert
Old 04-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Ron Clark

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:25:22 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote this (or the missive included this):

I'm thinking about getting a leaf vacuum /shredder for getting leaves
off the hundreds of pots and cold frame etc.
Have several large trees with large leaves.
Has anyone got or used a Viking BE600 vacuum /leaf shredder to comment
upon?

Get the cheapest you can (Black & Decker ?)

You're only going to be using it for a few hours/ year

When it eventually wears out, chuck it and buy another.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³ -¹
Old 05-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

Stihl and Viking are the same firm.

I know, but Viking equipment is the cheaper end of their range (I have a
Viking hedge cutter and a shredder and a couple of other bits as well)

Viking are the machines for the ordinary gardener as apposed to the
commercial gardener Stihl products.
Thus the Viking Leaf blower/shredder is electric.

Is that bad then?

Don't care as long as it works . Their electric hedgtrimmers although
not as good as the previous model are still longer and sturdier and
easier to use than black and Decker and Bosch etc. And much more
reliable

Janet

Old 05-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Robert
writes
Cons - I expected better build quality

Same with their current hedge trimmers, the previous one was much better
built and sturdier but both do the job far better than any other I've
used. Brilliant on hawthorn, privet and mixed hedging.

- some sharp plastic edges are evident and the design could be better -
to make it easier to empty the leaf bag without dismantling the kit,
and swapping between blower and vacuum.

That's why I wondered about the Stihl thought presumably they will be
very heavy what with an engine and a full bag to cart round, plus the
vibration of the motor.

The online pictures of it show it with a plug and socket adjacent to
the motor - this is a useful feature that is unfortunately restricted
to our continental cousins - I will modify mine.

Did that with the shredder, it's now got a very long lead on and a
circuit breaker at the plug and fusebox terminii.

Pros - it is light weight, the lightest I could find, and seems to be
remarkably effective

Oh well that's the main thing! a garden tool that works

- even on wet leaves and the shredding/compaction is very good. We
usually get heaps of leaves up against hedges which I pick up with
boards and move in the wheelbarrow, however, as the
shredding/compaction is so good I will try using the new toy.

If you intend to use it for lawns and large areas then go for a Stihl
if you don't mind the greater weight (and price).

No I don't mind raking up on the lawn or even mowing it up but between
pots and so on and across beds the Quercus rubra leaves are ten times
larger than ordinary oak leaves and get stuck everywhere.

Ta thanks for the information - that's helped.

Janet

Old 05-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Ron Clark
writes

Get the cheapest you can (Black & Decker ?)

You're only going to be using it for a few hours/ year

When it eventually wears out, chuck it and buy another.

Actually it's more than that Ron, we have 200 foot of hedge down both
sides of the garden at 8 foot tall hawthorn, leaves get everywhere, plus
a large apple, red oak, ordinary oak, silver birch, Acer, cherry, hazel
and other trees and lots of pots etc to get in between!

Janet
Old 05-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Ron Clark

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 10:59:27 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote this (or the missive included this):

Get the cheapest you can (Black & Decker ?)

You're only going to be using it for a few hours/ year

When it eventually wears out, chuck it and buy another.

Actually it's more than that Ron, we have 200 foot of hedge down both
sides of the garden at 8 foot tall hawthorn, leaves get everywhere, plus
a large apple, red oak, ordinary oak, silver birch, Acer, cherry, hazel

Yes, I see, in that case you do need something rather more than the
basic. My case-load is rather less than yours even if I do acquire
quite a lot of leaves from next door in addition to my own.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³ -¹
Old 05-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Bob Hobden

"Janet Tweedy" wrote after Bob Hobden replied

Stihl and Viking are the same firm.

I know, but Viking equipment is the cheaper end of their range (I have a
Viking hedge cutter and a shredder and a couple of other bits as well)

Viking are the machines for the ordinary gardener as apposed to the
commercial gardener Stihl products.
Thus the Viking Leaf blower/shredder is electric.

Is that bad then?

No, it's OK if you prefer the quietness and lightness etc and don't mind the
cord.
Me, I went for a petrol as I can then use it where there isn't electricity.

Don't care as long as it works . Their electric hedgtrimmers although not
as good as the previous model are still longer and sturdier and easier to
use than black and Decker and Bosch etc. And much more reliable

No doubt about it.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Registered User

It seems to be a bit outdated, no?
miele spares

Leaf vacuum/blowers herman United Kingdom 5 28-02-2011 07:09 PM
Tomato problems: potato leaf vs, regular leaf (cut leaf?) Joanne Edible Gardening 7 17-03-2005 08:53 PM
leaf blower/vacuum DAVID ALLEN Lawns 5 27-09-2003 06:43 AM
Leaf vacuum purchase JasonW Lawns 3 19-08-2003 11:05 PM
Leaf Vacuum Larry Wade Gardening 0 31-01-2003 09:10 PM