Old 08-11-2005, 09:25 AM
Sacha

Default OT email problem

In the last month I have had 3 emails returned as undeliverable, even though
the addresses to which I am replying are not spam-trapped (apparently) I
am using 'reply', too, not 'compose', so I don't understand this and it's
not a problem I've had before. Has anyone any ideas as to why it's
happening? I'm using Apple's own email program for my iMac.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 08-11-2005, 10:10 AM
michael adams

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
In the last month I have had 3 emails returned as undeliverable, even

though
the addresses to which I am replying are not spam-trapped (apparently) I
am using 'reply', too, not 'compose', so I don't understand this and it's
not a problem I've had before. Has anyone any ideas as to why it's
happening? I'm using Apple's own email program for my iMac.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

The problem is most likely with a server somewhere along the line
between you and the recipient, or with the sender (see below), not
with you or with the software that you're using. Some of the servers
either at your end or at the recipient's end may suffer temporary
overload, and so just bounce everything back as a failsafe. In which
case it may be worth trying later.

If you've repeatedly tried to send messages to the same recipent
without any success, then there should be some indication on the
full message path which you should be able to print out, as to
where the trouble lies. Or there should be an option to show the
full message path at least.

The bottom line is that if you're successfully sending emails
to other poeople doing what you're doing right now, then the
problem is unlikely to lie with you, or the software that you're
using.

The only thing I can think of, is there could be a flag set in the
original message which, when the recipient chooses the reply option
prevents them from replying to it. This is only guessing but it could
be a useful feature, to prevent unwelcome emails, or emails from Spambots.
Which the people who are sending you the messages are using inadvertantly.
So the problem may lie with them.

A way around this - if the above isn't total nonsense that is - would
be to Copy and Paste the address - and your message into a New Message
or "Compose" window. Rather than using the Reply option to actually
post it. The problem may lie in your using "Reply" in other words,
rather than the other way around.

So to get everything in, including the message you're responding
to, choose "Reply" to message as before, do everything the same
up to the point where you send the message - and instead open a new
message or "Compose" window, and copy and paste the address and message.
But only the text of the message - including what they wrote - but not
anything else which might contain the flag. Which might be just one
letter in the message header- a "/b/" or something.

If that works, then tell the recipient what has happened and that maybe
they need to change something their end. But as I said that's only
a guess.

michael adams

If its a #5.3.0 error then

There should be some in

Old 08-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

In the last month I have had 3 emails returned as undeliverable, even though
the addresses to which I am replying are not spam-trapped (apparently) I
am using 'reply', too, not 'compose', so I don't understand this and it's
not a problem I've had before. Has anyone any ideas as to why it's
happening? I'm using Apple's own email program for my iMac.

Probably because something in your subject line triggers a spam filter.
(Like "HELLO!" for instance.)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 08-11-2005, 11:40 AM
michael adams

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

In the last month I have had 3 emails returned as undeliverable, even

though
the addresses to which I am replying are not spam-trapped (apparently)

am using 'reply', too, not 'compose', so I don't understand this and

it's
not a problem I've had before. Has anyone any ideas as to why it's
happening? I'm using Apple's own email program for my iMac.

Probably because something in your subject line triggers a spam filter.
(Like "HELLO!" for instance.)

Yebbut.

When replying to an email the subject line stays the same. So you'd imagine
that if the sender customarily sent out loads of messages containing words
like "HELLO" in the subject line, which triggered their own spam filter in
replies, they wouldn't be recieving many emails from anyone.

michael adams

Old 08-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "michael adams" contains these words:

Probably because something in your subject line triggers a spam filter.
(Like "HELLO!" for instance.)

Yebbut.

When replying to an email the subject line stays the same. So you'd imagine
that if the sender customarily sent out loads of messages containing words
like "HELLO" in the subject line, which triggered their own spam filter in
replies, they wouldn't be recieving many emails from anyone.

Our server kills about 90% of spam *RECEIVED* (And I kill around the
same proportion of what's left), but neither my killfile nor the
outgoing server interferes with mailout.

Old 08-11-2005, 01:32 PM
michael adams

[...]

This has nothing to do with mail out.

The sender X, sends loads of emails, including one to Sasha with
"HELLO" in the title. (To use your example.)

These are read by anyone including Sasha, whose Servers don't
bounce any messages with a "HELLO" in the title.

The sender's server however does bounce all emails it recieves
with a "HELLO" in the title.

So the messages of anyone who replies to X's emails, which still
have the "HELLO" in the title, will be bounced by the sender's server.

Not that this has any relevance to the matter in hand in any case.

Troll over.

Old 08-11-2005, 01:59 PM
cineman

Check your isp for any problems.
It could be the recipient s mailbox is temporary full.
regards
or try asking on 24hourssupport.helpdesk news group
some one will have an answer for you but MUNGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS first
otherwise you will be spammed.
cineman

.uk...

Old 08-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Sacha

On 8/11/05 10:10, in article , "michael adams"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
In the last month I have had 3 emails returned as undeliverable, even

though
the addresses to which I am replying are not spam-trapped (apparently) I
am using 'reply', too, not 'compose', so I don't understand this and it's
not a problem I've had before. Has anyone any ideas as to why it's
happening? I'm using Apple's own email program for my iMac.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

The problem is most likely with a server somewhere along the line
between you and the recipient, or with the sender (see below), not
with you or with the software that you're using. Some of the servers
either at your end or at the recipient's end may suffer temporary
overload, and so just bounce everything back as a failsafe. In which
case it may be worth trying later.

snip
A way around this - if the above isn't total nonsense that is - would
be to Copy and Paste the address - and your message into a New Message
or "Compose" window. Rather than using the Reply option to actually
post it. The problem may lie in your using "Reply" in other words,
rather than the other way around.

So to get everything in, including the message you're responding
to, choose "Reply" to message as before, do everything the same
up to the point where you send the message - and instead open a new
message or "Compose" window, and copy and paste the address and message.
But only the text of the message - including what they wrote - but not
anything else which might contain the flag. Which might be just one
letter in the message header- a "/b/" or something.

Thanks for all this very helpful advice. I have in fact done the paste and
compose a new message thing and it still didn't work. However, it's
reassuring to hear that you don't think this is my 'fault', I must say.
I'll try again later and if the msgs. do go through I'll tell my
correspondents of the problems.

snip

Old 08-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Sacha

On 8/11/05 13:59, in article ,
"cineman" wrote:

Check your isp for any problems.
It could be the recipient s mailbox is temporary full.
regards
or try asking on 24hourssupport.helpdesk news group
some one will have an answer for you but MUNGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS first
otherwise you will be spammed.
cineman

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
In the last month I have had 3 emails returned as undeliverable, even
though
the addresses to which I am replying are not spam-trapped (apparently) I
am using 'reply', too, not 'compose', so I don't understand this and it's
not a problem I've had before. Has anyone any ideas as to why it's
happening? I'm using Apple's own email program for my iMac.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Very many thanks.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Sacha

On 8/11/05 14:43, in article ,
"martin" wrote:

Do you get bounced messages like this -

** THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY **
** YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE **

The original message was received at Tue, 1 Nov 2005 23:13:41 +0100
(MET)

snip

... Deferred: No such file or directory
Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours
Will keep trying until message is 5 days old

Final-Recipient: RFC822;
Action: delayed
Last-Attempt-Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 03:55:13 +0100 (MET)
Will-Retry-Until: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 23:13:41 +0100 (MET)

Like this (I've deleted my correspondent's details)

This is the SMTP Server program at host me.freeserve.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster

The SMTP Server program

correspondent: host fwd2.hosts.co.uk[212.84.175.146] said: 550
Administrative prohibition (in reply to RCPT TO command)
Reporting-MTA: dns; me.freeserve.com

Arrival-Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 00:17:05 +0100 (CET)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; correspondent
Action: failed

Old 08-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

[...]

Exactly - as I was saying.

The sender X, sends loads of emails, including one to Sasha with
"HELLO" in the title. (To use your example.)

These are read by anyone including Sasha, whose Servers don't
bounce any messages with a "HELLO" in the title.

The sender's server however does bounce all emails it recieves
with a "HELLO" in the title.

So the messages of anyone who replies to X's emails, which still
have the "HELLO" in the title, will be bounced by the sender's server.

Not that this has any relevance to the matter in hand in any case.

Troll over.

Oh good. (I kill anything with just HELLO! in the subject line though.
But then. with an offline reader/composer I can retrieve anything that
falls into my spamtrap by accident.)

Old 08-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Wouldn't that just send it into their 'junk' file, as it does on my
computer? In any case, these have contained either the name of our house or
the name of a plant, so unless some piece of software somewhere has a grudge
against nurserymen, I don't think so. ;-)

It depends on whether it's your ISP's filters which are bouncing them.
But it might be any server in the chain of 'hops'.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Sacha

On 8/11/05 16:24, in article
, "Sacha"
wrote:

On 8/11/05 16:05, in article ,
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote:

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Wouldn't that just send it into their 'junk' file, as it does on my
computer? In any case, these have contained either the name of our house or
the name of a plant, so unless some piece of software somewhere has a grudge
against nurserymen, I don't think so. ;-)

It depends on whether it's your ISP's filters which are bouncing them.
But it might be any server in the chain of 'hops'.

Okay. I have spoken to one of the would-be recipients and they have indeed
been having server problems, so that clears that one up. On the basis on
what everyone has said here, it doesn't seem to be my end that's the problem
which is sort of a relief! Many thanks to all of you.

Oh, dear - sorry to top my own msg. but I've just tried to send another of
the previously bounced emails, having copied pasted and 'composed' anew. I
got an instant bounce back with the following message:
Diagnostic-Code: X-SMTP-Server; host mwall.cyberone.com.au[203.29.91.93]
said:
550 Denied. Host (193.252.22.156) listed in RBL (in reply to RCPT TO
command)

Sorry to be a bore about this but this person needs information and I have
no other way of contacting them.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk