Old 10-11-2005, 08:48 PM
ajr

Default gooseberry bush

Good evening,

I want to grow a gooseberry bush next year - two quick questions:

1. Is there a particularly good variety to buy?

2. Where do you buy one?!? I've never seen one in a garden centre, or at
my local hardware store (which generally sells everything!).

I live by the coast in the south west, so the temperature is generally a few
degrees above the norm - no idea if that makes a difference in choice of
variety!

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Andrew

Old 10-11-2005, 09:09 PM
Mike

"ajr" wrote in message
Good evening,

I want to grow a gooseberry bush next year - two quick questions:

1. Is there a particularly good variety to buy?

2. Where do you buy one?!? I've never seen one in a garden centre, or at
my local hardware store (which generally sells everything!).

I live by the coast in the south west, so the temperature is generally a

few
degrees above the norm - no idea if that makes a difference in choice of
variety!

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Andrew

;-) Andrew, it's not true, they don't come from under the Gooseberry Bush,
sorry ;-}

Mike

Old 10-11-2005, 09:42 PM
Mike Lyle

Mike wrote:
"ajr" wrote in message
Good evening,

I want to grow a gooseberry bush next year - two quick questions:

1. Is there a particularly good variety to buy?

2. Where do you buy one?!? I've never seen one in a garden

centre,
or at my local hardware store (which generally sells everything!).

I live by the coast in the south west, so the temperature is
generally a few degrees above the norm - no idea if that makes a
difference in choice of variety!

Put devon soft fruit nursery into Google, and take your pick.
Substitute another county for devon if necessary. They'll advise on
the best varieties for your purposes.

--
Mike.

Old 10-11-2005, 09:56 PM
ajr

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
"ajr" wrote in message
Good evening,

I want to grow a gooseberry bush next year - two quick questions:

1. Is there a particularly good variety to buy?

2. Where do you buy one?!? I've never seen one in a garden

centre,
or at my local hardware store (which generally sells everything!).

I live by the coast in the south west, so the temperature is
generally a few degrees above the norm - no idea if that makes a
difference in choice of variety!

Put devon soft fruit nursery into Google, and take your pick.
Substitute another county for devon if necessary. They'll advise on
the best varieties for your purposes.

--
Mike.

Easy when you know how! Found two local nurseies and another couple, that
are easy to visit, in Devon.

Many thanks Mike - much appreciated.

Old 11-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Robert

"ajr" wrote in message
: Good evening,
:
: I want to grow a gooseberry bush next year - two quick questions:

:
: I live by the coast in the south west, so the temperature is generally a
few
: degrees above the norm - no idea if that makes a difference in choice of
: variety!
:
I'm in Plymouth and Golden Drop for dessert and Leveller for cooking
(although they both cook well) do excellently. As for buying try Ken Muir ,
Marshalls or Unwins online

Gooseberry bush pollination David in Normandy[_7_] United Kingdom 3 14-04-2009 10:34 PM
Gooseberry bush problems Roger United Kingdom 6 08-08-2007 12:40 AM
propagating gooseberry bush Ros Butt United Kingdom 8 15-07-2005 06:55 PM
Gooseberry Bush Ben United Kingdom 1 02-08-2004 05:04 PM
No flowers on gooseberry bush Steve Harris United Kingdom 3 14-05-2003 10:44 PM