Old 21-11-2005, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ann Heanes

Default Has anyone looked after a hedghog?

GlacierHi we have taken in a hedgehog for the winter, he/she was wandering
round the garden in the frost (at night) & hubby brought it in to weigh it.
It is quite small (365 gms) so we realised that it wouldn't make it on its
own. We have two cats so food is not a problem. We have got it in a box with
a small box inside for it to hide in. Any advice will be gratefully
received.
Regards Grannie Annie.

--
Ann Heanes
Finance Office

Old 21-11-2005, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul

Ann Heanes wrote:
GlacierHi we have taken in a hedgehog for the winter, he/she was wandering
round the garden in the frost (at night) & hubby brought it in to weigh it.
It is quite small (365 gms) so we realised that it wouldn't make it on its
own. We have two cats so food is not a problem. We have got it in a box with
a small box inside for it to hide in. Any advice will be gratefully
received.
Regards Grannie Annie.

I have overwintered them before usually in the double box system like
you suggest and in the shed and they can get noisy if you have them in
house. I would advise you contact your local hedgehog rescue if you have
one or even a vet (they are have to treat native wildlife free of
charge) just to make sure its ok. If its under 600g it has to be keep
warm and awake.

This link may be helpful
http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/Dis...wintering.html

Paul
Old 21-11-2005, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Amos E Wolfe

"Ann Heanes" wrote in message
GlacierHi we have taken in a hedgehog for the winter, he/she was wandering
round the garden in the frost (at night) & hubby brought it in to weigh
it.
It is quite small (365 gms) so we realised that it wouldn't make it on its
own. We have two cats so food is not a problem. We have got it in a box
with
a small box inside for it to hide in. Any advice will be gratefully
received.
Regards Grannie Annie.

Don't give them bread and milk. A hungry hedgehog will enjoy a dish of cat
food any time, just make sure you feed it away from the cats. A box stuffed
with dry leaves and moss will keep it warm in a natural feeling environment.

--
-=# Amos E Wolfe #=-
AIM: Traindriver9334

Old 21-11-2005, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Ann Heanes" wrote in message

GlacierHi we have taken in a hedgehog for the winter, he/she was wandering
round the garden in the frost (at night) & hubby brought it in to weigh

it.
It is quite small (365 gms) so we realised that it wouldn't make it on its
own. We have two cats so food is not a problem. We have got it in a box

with
a small box inside for it to hide in. Any advice will be gratefully
received.
Regards Grannie Annie.

This is a link to a hedgehog hibernation factsheet\web page

http://tinyurl.com/d4v4h

full version -

http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/Dis...t_Tiggywinkles
/Costs/Fact_Sheets/Hedgehog_Hibernation/body_hedgehog_hibernation.html

from sttiggywinkles a well repected organisation, which should tell
you all you need to know.

michael adams

Ann Heanes
Finance Office
University of Reading
(0118 3787161)
*))) (((*

Old 21-11-2005, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 21/11/05 11:19, in article , "Ann Heanes"
wrote:

GlacierHi we have taken in a hedgehog for the winter, he/she was wandering
round the garden in the frost (at night) & hubby brought it in to weigh it.
It is quite small (365 gms) so we realised that it wouldn't make it on its
own. We have two cats so food is not a problem. We have got it in a box with
a small box inside for it to hide in. Any advice will be gratefully
received.
Regards Grannie Annie.

http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/
They're very experienced in dealing with the situation you describe.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-11-2005, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Ann Heanes" wrote in message

GlacierHi we have taken in a hedgehog for the winter, he/she was wandering
round the garden in the frost (at night) & hubby brought it in to weigh

it.
It is quite small (365 gms) so we realised that it wouldn't make it on its
own. We have two cats so food is not a problem. We have got it in a box

with
a small box inside for it to hide in. Any advice will be gratefully
received.
Regards Grannie Annie.

This is a link to a hedgehog hibernation factsheet\web page

http://tinyurl.com/d4v4h

full version -

http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/Dis...t_Tiggywinkles
/Costs/Fact_Sheets/Hedgehog_Hibernation/body_hedgehog_hibernation.html

from sttiggywinkles a well repected organisation, which should tell
you all you need to know.

Maybe equally relevant - an overwintering factsheet -

http://tinyurl.com/cyl5u

for

http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/Dis...iggywinkles/Co
sts/Fact_Sheets/Overwintering/body_overwintering.html

michael adams

michael adams

Ann Heanes
Finance Office
University of Reading
(0118 3787161)
*))) (((*

Old 21-11-2005, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman

http://www.hedgehog-care.co.uk/

take a look here
website links appear not to be working but there is a telephone number for
advice and help if you scroll down.
regards
Cineman

Old 21-11-2005, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Ann Heanes" contains these words:

GlacierHi we have taken in a hedgehog for the winter, he/she was wandering
round the garden in the frost (at night) & hubby brought it in to weigh it.
It is quite small (365 gms) so we realised that it wouldn't make it on its
own. We have two cats so food is not a problem. We have got it in a box with
a small box inside for it to hide in. Any advice will be gratefully
received.

1) never feed it milk

2) it will be infested with fleas and lice

3) never feed it milk

4) if you have a garage or shed, find a box and make an entrance at the
bottom of one of the sides, then fill it with dry leaves and a hedgehog.
During warmer weather it might wake up and feel peckish.

5) never feed it milk

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 21-11-2005, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"Ann Heanes" wrote in message
GlacierHi we have taken in a hedgehog for the winter, he/she was wandering
round the garden in the frost (at night) & hubby brought it in to weigh

it.
It is quite small (365 gms) so we realised that it wouldn't make it on its
own. We have two cats so food is not a problem. We have got it in a box

with
a small box inside for it to hide in. Any advice will be gratefully
received.
Regards Grannie Annie.

Sounds to me that you are progressing much along the right lines, but for
help and support, I'd advise you to click on

http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/carers.htm

And then get in touch with the nearest British Hedgehog Preservation Society
carer listed there.

Failing that, there's heaps of useful information on the BHPS website
itself. Good Luck.

Old 21-11-2005, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ann Heanes

Many thanks for all your help (and so quickly too!!) Our little friend is
too small to hibernate so we are keeping him indoors and awake. I shall
check up on the Tiggwinkles site. Many thanks for all the advice.
Regards Grannie Annie.
k...

Old 21-11-2005, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Space

Hi
i am sure lots of people have responded. the hedgehog is too small to
survive and therefore i would suggest you surf the net for a rescue centre.
some people take in hedgehogs and create sanctuaries for them in their
gardens.

Hedgehogs like biscuits. we crucnhed the bsicuits over wet cat food

also, hedgehogs are very very smelly!!