Old 02-12-2005, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Interesting water

I think this work is stunning: http://www.waterwater.co.uk/commissions.html
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-12-2005, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
I think this work is stunning: http://www.waterwater.co.uk/commissions.html
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Wot yer torkin bowt Worta feetchas fe ?

Old 02-12-2005, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Rupert wrote:

Wot yer torkin bowt Worta feetchas fe ?

Have you read their 'manifesto'? "Above all, this business is dedicated
to the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God. We commend all our projects
and dealings to her prayers and protection...".

stare

Old 02-12-2005, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message .com, La
puce writes

Rupert wrote:

Wot yer torkin bowt Worta feetchas fe ?

Have you read their 'manifesto'? "Above all, this business is dedicated
to the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God. We commend all our projects
and dealings to her prayers and protection...".

stare

Blimey. I missed that . So it is. I should be more observant. Some
of the projects look nice though.
--
June Hughes
Old 02-12-2005, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

June Hughes wrote:
Blimey. I missed that . So it is. I should be more observant. Some
of the projects look nice though.

I know! Bizarre indeed! And I do read ... I promess I can read! (Sorry
June, but I feel I need to keep justifying myself from another thread
.... I'm still boiling inside).

Nice projects indeed. I commissioned a couple of artists a few years
back to do a fountain. I am really pleased about it and it can be seen
in the Hulme Park in Manchester.

Incidentally, the Hulme Garden Centre also features in this month The
Garden. It was so exciting to read it. I worked with Karen and Bella on
a voluntary basis last year for about 5 months (Nick the chap on the
photo is now working in Kew). A fantastic place to meet passionate
gardeners (and whilst I'm at it, on the photograph of the front
entrance, through the gate you can see my project - a housing and
workers cooperative where I worked for 8 years).

Old 02-12-2005, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider

Sacha wrote in message
.uk...
I think this work is stunning:

http://www.waterwater.co.uk/commissions.html
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Mmm. It's not all my taste, but I *love* the curved bubble wall. To be
honest, I'd rather see it surrounded by ferns rather than its accompanying
modern hardscape, but that's just me. I was also intrigued by the hotel
lobby water feature. Magnificant reflection .. looks like there's another
chandelier on the floor!

Spider

Old 02-12-2005, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 2/12/05 12:50 pm, in article , "Rupert"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
I think this work is stunning: http://www.waterwater.co.uk/commissions.html
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Wot yer torkin bowt Worta feetchas fe ?

We made a new pond in front of the house earlier this year but didn't have
time to do the 'moving water' bit of it. Some time later when I went to the
hairdresser (bear with me, I'm getting there!) she'd had a very small,
scruffy courtyard planted and it was totally transformed by a low, narrow
trough with a copper sheet and water running down it. It came from these
people and we're wondering if we can use that or something similar in our
new pond. As it's circular, it might be difficult but I think it would work
with the granite and slate tiles our house is built with. But apart from
that personal angle, I thought the other things on the site were
terrifically imaginative and thought they might interest urglers.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-12-2005, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 2/12/05 3:25 pm, in article ,
"Spider" wrote:

Sacha wrote in message
.uk...
I think this work is stunning:

http://www.waterwater.co.uk/commissions.html
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Mmm. It's not all my taste, but I *love* the curved bubble wall. To be
honest, I'd rather see it surrounded by ferns rather than its accompanying
modern hardscape, but that's just me. I was also intrigued by the hotel
lobby water feature. Magnificant reflection .. looks like there's another
chandelier on the floor!

Yes, I like that curved bubble wall and I think the one for children is so
much fun. Every school playground should have one.........
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-12-2005, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
middleton.walker

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rupert wrote:

Wot yer torkin bowt Worta feetchas fe ?

Have you read their 'manifesto'? "Above all, this business is dedicated
to the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God. We commend all our projects
and dealings to her prayers and protection...".

stare

gotta gulp at this one....suspect we should all bow down and say three Hail
Mary's and play with our beads for a while

Old 02-12-2005, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote
We made a new pond in front of the house earlier this year but didn't have
time to do the 'moving water' bit of it. Some time later when I went to
the
hairdresser (bear with me, I'm getting there!) she'd had a very small,
scruffy courtyard planted and it was totally transformed by a low, narrow
trough with a copper sheet and water running down it. It came from these
people and we're wondering if we can use that or something similar in our
new pond. As it's circular, it might be difficult but I think it would
work
with the granite and slate tiles our house is built with. But apart from
that personal angle, I thought the other things on the site were
terrifically imaginative and thought they might interest urglers.

The double arc feature is interesting, they seem to be using the water like
fibre optics. Won't have the same impact in daylight though.

The most interesting water features I've ever seen were in Northern India,
the Jai Mahal Palace Hotel in Jaipur has the most incredible Mogul water
garden. ( the restaurant isn't bad either) :-)
A feature that they use a lot is the water running down a sloping (30°?)
flat bed with crescent raised bits over the surface, each row of raised
crescents alternate just like fish scales. Makes a fascinating sight and
sound with only a little water as it runs from one crescent down to the
next. The nearest I've seen in the UK is a huge one in Guildford but it's
crude by comparison.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 02-12-2005, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 2/12/05 11:29 pm, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

snip

The double arc feature is interesting, they seem to be using the water like
fibre optics. Won't have the same impact in daylight though.

The most interesting water features I've ever seen were in Northern India,
the Jai Mahal Palace Hotel in Jaipur has the most incredible Mogul water
garden. ( the restaurant isn't bad either) :-)
A feature that they use a lot is the water running down a sloping (30°?)
flat bed with crescent raised bits over the surface, each row of raised
crescents alternate just like fish scales. Makes a fascinating sight and
sound with only a little water as it runs from one crescent down to the
next. The nearest I've seen in the UK is a huge one in Guildford but it's
crude by comparison.

That really does sound quite beautiful - and to me, the sound of water is
almost as important as the sight of it. I hadn't thought of that daylight
thing with regard to the double arc feature but you're quite right - it does
need a darker setting to show it off properly. A great number of years ago
I took my children to Disneyworld in Florida and there they had 'jumping'
water which I have wanted to have somehow, somewhere, ever since. It's
extremely childish of me but I love the way the arcs of water seem to leap
out of the pond at random, taking everyone by surprise and making them
shriek with delight. My children spent ages trying to catch them!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-12-2005, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

In message , Sacha
writes
Seeing the arcs, I immediately thought of 'jumping water', which I have
also always coveted! I can't think where I saw them, though , not having
been to Disneyworld.

If you do remember, will you let us know? I'd love to track it down if
it's in UK.

It was quite a while ago - it seems to me it was in a garden ... I'll
try to remember.
--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 04-12-2005, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

In message , Sacha
writes
If you do remember, will you let us know? I'd love to track it down if
it's in UK.

Still no luck remembering where the leaping fountains were - I suppose
it might have been in the States somewhere, after all, or maybe even at
Hellbrunn, but I have the feeling it was the UK.

However, the British suppliers seem to be

http://www.exclusivefountains.co.uk

see

http://www.exclusivefountains.co.uk/laminar-jets.htm

and they might be able to tell you where you can see them.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 04-12-2005, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 3/12/05 11:05, in article , "Klara"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
A great number of years ago I took my children to Disneyworld in
Florida and there they had 'jumping' water which I have wanted to have
somehow, somewhere, ever since. It's extremely childish of me but I
love the way the arcs of water seem to leap out of the pond at random,
taking everyone by surprise and making them shriek with delight. My
children spent ages trying to catch them!

Seeing the arcs, I immediately thought of 'jumping water', which I have
also always coveted! I can't think where I saw them, though , not having
been to Disneyworld.

Photo's here :~))
http://www.mouseplanet.com/akrock/ak040623lp.htm

If you do remember, will you let us know? I'd love to track it down if it's
in UK. Sacha

I know I've seen something similar in the UK......but can'r recall
where....maybe at Alton Towers ? :~)

We have something similar in a part of the pedestrian shopping centre in
downtown Rotterdam called the 'Koopgoot' (translation = shopping gutter!).

There are two water features combined in place. One which shoots fountains
vertically upwards on a random patern and one which shoots 'blobs' of water from
one end of the feature to the other. It's all installed in the pavement and it's
fun watching kids and dogs trying to catch or avoid the jets :~))
Pictures at: http://www.rotterdammers.nl/gebouwen/koopa.htm (5thand 6th picture
have views of the vertical jets)

"Jumping jets" equipment:
http://www.atlanticfountains.com/jumping_jet.htm