Old 27-12-2005, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sandy Savage

Default Some Advice

Hi Group,
Can anyone tell me how to dry the soil in my garden. Is it correct that sand
helps?

T.I.A.

Micky Leeds

Old 27-12-2005, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

That depends on a lot of things. If your garden is flat and the water has
nowhere to go, adding sand will help only in that it will raise the level of
the garden. Then if the water level raises you will have the same thing.

When soil is mostly clay, you will get that kind of problem. If you can
remove soil/clay several feet deep, adding sand to top soil and your other
additives will help the water drain, at least to the level of the clay.

You might try building some raised areas in your garden. I woud make them 8
to 15 inches high, fill them with dirt mixede with sand and peat moss and
what ever else you want to add, and plant your things there.

Maybe someone else here has a better idea.

Dwayne

Old 27-12-2005, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Sandy Savage" wrote in message
Hi Group,
Can anyone tell me how to dry the soil in my garden. Is it correct that
sand helps?

T.I.A.

Micky Leeds

Working a sharp, grit sand into the soil, will not only improve the drainage
characteristics of the soil, but will also improve the aeration of the soil,
render it easier to work, and encourage strong root formation by your plants

Full article here
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqsoil1.htm

Old 27-12-2005, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sandy Savage

"Rupert" wrote in message

"Sandy Savage" wrote in message
Hi Group,
Can anyone tell me how to dry the soil in my garden. Is it correct that
sand helps?

T.I.A.

Micky Leeds

Working a sharp, grit sand into the soil, will not only improve the
drainage characteristics of the soil, but will also improve the aeration
of the soil, render it easier to work, and encourage strong root formation
by your plants

Full article here
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqsoil1.htm

Than you ,
My soil is very good.I just have a drainage problem, in winter my garden
turns into a swamp.

Mick

Old 29-12-2005, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
**bg**

Default From the west coast of Canadar - Some Advice

"Sandy Savage" wrote in message
Hi Group,
Can anyone tell me how to dry the soil in my garden. Is it correct that
sand helps?

T.I.A.

Micky Leeds

-----------------------
Yo Mick!

I had similar probs at my house, did some digging and found that the water
table was about a foot down in some places.

Dug a few more holes, figured out the lay of the land, wound up digging a
drainage ditch along the south side of the property, worked well.

Found that my yard was great for grapes, who like lotsa water for their
roots to run to.

A point if I may...here at winter solstice time, note the line and areas of
sunshine that you get, as it is likely the least you'll get eh?

Do a comparison as we progress towards summer solstice. It could generally
be said that for best harvest, plants need good sun in late afternoon.

Check with yer neighbours and local sewage departments, who, charged with
drainage of local parks and streets etc, should be knowledgeable about the
lay of the land in yer neighbourhood. Here are a couple of sites that might
be of interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundwater

http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/lin...oundwater.html

http://www.groundwater.org/kc/whatis.html

Cheers

bg
www.lchb.ca

Old 29-12-2005, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Padger

A soakaway might help.
Dig a hole about 2/3 ft. square and as deep as you can manage positioned at
the lowest point in the garden where the water collects. Fill it with
rubble, brickbats stones etc.
Also dig small trenches leading from several parts of the garden leading to
the soakaway and line these with land drains. (usually available at builders
merchants). If you get it right you will find a vast improvement as the bulk
of surplus water will drain to the soakaway. It is hard work but you only
need to do it once, the alternative being to grow watercress!
Jim

Old 29-12-2005, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Sandy Savage" wrote in message
Than you ,
My soil is very good.I just have a drainage problem, in winter my garden
turns into a swamp.

Mick

This webpage in the form of an FAQ on drainage problems was compiled
by a former regular poster on the newsgroup, and may answer some of
your questions. As much will depend on your location for a start.
Whether your garden is at the the bottom of a slope etc. And whether
you may need to use land drains or use a pump etc.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/archv401.htm

michael adams

Old 01-01-2006, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sandy Savage

"michael adams" wrote in message

"Sandy Savage" wrote in message
Than you ,
My soil is very good.I just have a drainage problem, in winter my garden
turns into a swamp.

Mick

This webpage in the form of an FAQ on drainage problems was compiled
by a former regular poster on the newsgroup, and may answer some of
your questions. As much will depend on your location for a start.
Whether your garden is at the the bottom of a slope etc. And whether
you may need to use land drains or use a pump etc.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/archv401.htm

michael adams

Many thanks to you all, and a very Happy new Year.

Kind Regards

Mick. Leeds.