Old 31-12-2005, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default OT computer mystery

A most peculiar thing has happened to my Mac. I switched it on this morning
and every single message in my Inbox, read or unread, has disappeared, apart
from three that arrived overnight. One of those was a total blank - no
sender, no subject, no message. I may be able to pick them up some other
way but has anyone any idea why this has happened? At times, I'm rather
concerned that some of the spam I get has the names of either myself or
people I know and email with, in the subject header. Am I being paranoid or
is someone 'getting in' to my computer. I have Norton running at all times,
BTW.
The other filing boxes appear to have all their contents still.

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 31-12-2005, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
:A most peculiar thing has happened to my Mac. I switched it on this
morning
: and every single message in my Inbox, read or unread, has disappeared,
apart
: from three that arrived overnight. One of those was a total blank - no
: sender, no subject, no message. I may be able to pick them up some other
: way but has anyone any idea why this has happened? At times, I'm rather
: concerned that some of the spam I get has the names of either myself or
: people I know and email with, in the subject header. Am I being paranoid
or
: is someone 'getting in' to my computer. I have Norton running at all
times,
: BTW.
: The other filing boxes appear to have all their contents still.
:
: --
:
: Sacha
: www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
: South Devon
: (remove the weeds to email me)

The same thing happened to me with a pc. I am using Outlook Express and that
message box came up with "Do you want to compact messages". I accidentally
said yes and then turned the pc off. Apparently this part of OE is very
unstable and if you interrupt the compaction, all your messages disappear. I
lost all my receipts and software codes etc. Wonder if that was what
happened to you?
:

Old 31-12-2005, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

In message , Robert
writes
The same thing happened to me with a pc. I am using Outlook Express and
that message box came up with "Do you want to compact messages". I
accidentally said yes and then turned the pc off. Apparently this part
of OE is very unstable and if you interrupt the compaction, all your
messages disappear. I lost all my receipts and software codes etc.
Wonder if that was what happened to you?

We try not to be swamped by paper, so I keep all the (hundreds of) work
emails we get.
But I did exactly the same thing, and lost two years' worth of our
filing!
I now back up all the emails before I go anywhere near compacting, and
to be absolutely safe I get Eric (husband) to watch me doing it all.

As for Sacha's completely blank emails, including headers, we've been
getting lots of those lately - I have no idea what they are.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 31-12-2005, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

A most peculiar thing has happened to my Mac. I switched it on this morning
and every single message in my Inbox, read or unread, has disappeared, apart
from three that arrived overnight. One of those was a total blank - no
sender, no subject, no message. I may be able to pick them up some other
way but has anyone any idea why this has happened? At times, I'm rather
concerned that some of the spam I get has the names of either myself or
people I know and email with, in the subject header. Am I being paranoid or
is someone 'getting in' to my computer. I have Norton running at all times,
BTW.
The other filing boxes appear to have all their contents still.

Same thing here a few days ago, I was in a hurry and my machine was slow
in closing down, next day the whole inbox had gone, Luckily I have a
techie daughter who got them all back for me, I can ask her how she did
it if you would like,

kate
Old 31-12-2005, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 31/12/05 8:24, in article
, "Robert"
wrote:

snip

The same thing happened to me with a pc. I am using Outlook Express and that
message box came up with "Do you want to compact messages". I accidentally
said yes and then turned the pc off. Apparently this part of OE is very
unstable and if you interrupt the compaction, all your messages disappear. I
lost all my receipts and software codes etc. Wonder if that was what
happened to you?
:

Don't think so, Robert. I use Apple's own mail program for emails, not OE
and have never seen such a msg. Anything the program does, it does all of
its own accord as soon as you open it and without prior consultation! In
any case, nothing was different and no msg. appeared when I shut the machine
down last night.

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 31-12-2005, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 31/12/05 9:33, in article , "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

[...]

I'd be interested to know, Kate and thank you. But it's not a matter of
urgency because I can retrace them on the server by the looks of it.
However, when I shut down last night, all appeared normal. I came out of
the email program, clicked on shut down, clicked on the 'yes' bit of 'are
you sure you want to turn off your computer?' and that was that - same as
usual, in fact. It seems to be one of those mysterious 'things' that happen
sometimes to computers. Recently someone I trust sent me a link to an
interesting site but when I tried to use it, not only would it not work but
it sent my computer back to all its default settings and I had to re-set all
my own custom requirements. V. strange.

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 31-12-2005, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

In article ,
says...
On 31/12/05 9:33, in article
, "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

[...]

O.K. Sacha, I will ask her when I see her just out of interest,not that
I understand half of it :-))
Old 31-12-2005, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
A most peculiar thing has happened to my Mac. I switched it on this

morning
and every single message in my Inbox, read or unread, has disappeared,

apart
from three that arrived overnight.

Assuming Entourage has the same features as OE (they're both written
by Microsoft)....one possibility

In your first main Mail window -

Select the "View" pull-down menu at the top, and choose "Show all messages"

Possibly the program simply isn't dispaying messages which have already
been read.

michael adams

Old 31-12-2005, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
A most peculiar thing has happened to my Mac. I switched it on this

morning
and every single message in my Inbox, read or unread, has disappeared,

apart
from three that arrived overnight.

Assuming Entourage has the same features as OE (they're both written
by Microsoft)....one possibility

In your first main Mail window -

Select the "View" pull-down menu at the top,

Omission: then select "current view"
^^^^^^^^^

and then select -

"Show all messages"

Possibly the program simply isn't dispaying messages which have already
been read.

You may need to close down just Entourage, not the machine itself,
and then resopen the program.

michael adams

Old 31-12-2005, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

snip other helpful stuffy

This is what she did--------
Ran a file search for inbox.dbx - went into the directory and found

both inbox.dbx
and outlooks replacement for it inbox (1).dbx there, renamed the latter
to inbox (1).bak
just in case this didnt work so I could replace it, then renamed
inbox.dbx to inbox (1).dbx.
Restarted OE and all the mails were there bar the few that had come in
overnight to the other box.

I dont think that it will help you cos we are using Outlook Express but
it might be of interest to others.
We have sunshine here so I am off out into the garden to play with new
cameras :-)

kate

Old 31-12-2005, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

A most peculiar thing has happened to my Mac. I switched it on this morning
and every single message in my Inbox, read or unread, has disappeared, apart
from three that arrived overnight. One of those was a total blank - no
sender, no subject, no message. I may be able to pick them up some other
way but has anyone any idea why this has happened? At times, I'm rather
concerned that some of the spam I get has the names of either myself or
people I know and email with, in the subject header. Am I being paranoid or
is someone 'getting in' to my computer. I have Norton running at all times,
BTW.
The other filing boxes appear to have all their contents still.

Can't help with the evaporation - never used a Mac, but the spam is
nothing to worry about. The addresses generally are acquired by bots or
trojans either ensconced on someone's Windows box and plundering the
address book of Outlook or Outlook Express, or extracting addresses from
the www or usenet postings, then forging the headers to appear to come
from trusted correspondents.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 31-12-2005, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Klara contains these words:

As for Sacha's completely blank emails, including headers, we've been
getting lots of those lately - I have no idea what they are.

Probably spam with badly munged (forged) headers, which arrive, but
don't render into anything.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 31-12-2005, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

third time lucky (maybe)...

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
A most peculiar thing has happened to my Mac. I switched it on this

morning
and every single message in my Inbox, read or unread, has disappeared,

apart
from three that arrived overnight.

Assuming Entourage has the same features as OE (they're both written
by Microsoft)....one possibility

In your first main Mail window -

Select\Highlight the Inbox (or whatever is giving the problem)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

er, then....

Old 31-12-2005, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 31/12/05 10:29, in article , "michael
adams" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
A most peculiar thing has happened to my Mac. I switched it on this

morning
and every single message in my Inbox, read or unread, has disappeared,

apart
from three that arrived overnight.

Assuming Entourage has the same features as OE (they're both written
by Microsoft)....one possibility

In your first main Mail window -

Select the "View" pull-down menu at the top,

Omission: then select "current view"
^^^^^^^^^

and then select -

"Show all messages"

Possibly the program simply isn't dispaying messages which have already
been read.

You may need to close down just Entourage, not the machine itself,
and then resopen the program.

michael adams

Thanks, Michael but I'm not using Entourage. I use Apple's own mail
program
which I prefer. It's a bit of a funny one, I must admit. We had no power
cuts, nor anything else that I can think of to explain a glitch. We have
had a hot water pipe leaking from the landing into the hall below but even
can't equate that with a computer problem. ;-)

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

You were recently asking about mailwashing programmes to prevent spam-if you
tried one out then it has probably attempted to do it's job.
You may also find that the mail programme you are using has marked the
missing emails as spam and moved them to a spam folder perhaps.