Old 31-12-2005, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pat

Default Common names

I am slightly puzzled as to when a common name is applied to a plant. As an
example the genus 'EUONYMUS' has the common name Spindle tree' does this now
mean "E. f. Emerald 'n' Gold" for example has this as one of its common
names?

Another example would be 'BUDDLEJA davidii' common name 'Butterfly bush'
does this common name only apply to 'davidii' or does it apply to all
varieties of 'davidii'?

regards
Pat

Old 31-12-2005, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Janet Baraclough wrote:

(snip)

"Butterfly bush" is the common name that encompasses all
buddlieas..if you're in the UK. It's naturalised in the UK, and has a UK
common name.

(snip)

You will also find that in other countries the common name is the same
as the common names in the UK which means the exact description of the
plant without naturally where it's from, where it grows etc which is
more specified using latin. Butterfly bush will be in French 'arbre a
papillons', meaning the same thing. There are some slight differences
which are amusing, depending on the culture, for example a 'foxglove'
would be in French and Spanish 'a woolf glove'. I've found myself
knowing a lot more plant names in English than French and use a pure
translation of the English common name to describe what I'm referring
to if the person doesn't know the latin name. It works all the time.

Old 31-12-2005, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

But just bear in mind that a common name like daisy can
refer to many different plants according to where the poster hails
from. If in doubt, check it out.

Last seen on a tandem...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 31-12-2005, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message .com
from "La Puce" contains these words:

You will also find that in other countries the common name is the same
as the common names in the UK which means the exact description of the
plant without naturally where it's from, where it grows etc which is
more specified using latin. Butterfly bush will be in French 'arbre a
papillons', meaning the same thing. There are some slight differences
which are amusing, depending on the culture, for example a 'foxglove'
would be in French and Spanish 'a woolf glove'. I've found myself
knowing a lot more plant names in English than French and use a pure
translation of the English common name to describe what I'm referring
to if the person doesn't know the latin name. It works all the time.

Well, a lot of it anyway.

Try Ulex europaeus - gorse, furze, whin, wuzzy, to name a few common
name synonyms in English. But in french, Ajoncs or Landier, and in
German, Stechginster.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 31-12-2005, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Janet Baraclough wrote:

(snip)

"Butterfly bush" is the common name that encompasses all
buddlieas..if you're in the UK. It's naturalised in the UK, and has a UK
common name.

(snip)

You will also find that in other countries the common name is the same
as the common names in the UK which means the exact description of the
plant without naturally where it's from, where it grows etc which is
more specified using latin. Butterfly bush will be in French 'arbre a
papillons', meaning the same thing. There are some slight differences
which are amusing, depending on the culture, for example a 'foxglove'
would be in French and Spanish 'a woolf glove'.

Foxglove in German is "fingerhut" = finger hat.

Steve

Old 31-12-2005, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

Well, a lot of it anyway.

Yes. Not all.

Try Ulex europaeus - gorse, furze, whin, wuzzy, to name a few common
name synonyms in English. But in french, Ajoncs or Landier, and in
German, Stechginster.

Where I'm from we call it jaugot or jaugey and closer to spain gaiol
)

Bonne Annee!!

Old 31-12-2005, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

shazzbat wrote:

Foxglove in German is "fingerhut" = finger hat.

How funny, considering how posonious it is! Antirrhinum latifolium,
Snapdragon is called 'gueule de loup' in French, meaning 'woolf's
face'. I wonder if there's a book with plants common names in Europe
and all their equivalent. That would be a treat for me )

Old 31-12-2005, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pat

Thank you all for your helpful advice.

Can anyone suggest a good reference book on the topic?

Pat

Happy New Year to All

k...

Old 31-12-2005, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Janet Baraclough wrote:

You're missing the point entirely.

As I said and as you said, the same common name used in another country
or another language may or may not mean the same. Some do, some don't.
My examples did. Yours didn't.

And it's Buddleia, not those strange spellings you're giving
incorrectly all over the place. If you don't know the correct spelling,
use the common name or look it up but do stop giving false information
on this forum cute smile

Old 31-12-2005, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Janet Baraclough wrote:

You're missing the point entirely.

As I said and as you said, the same common name used in another country
or another language may or may not mean the same. Some do, some don't.
My examples did. Yours didn't.

And it's Buddleia, not those strange spellings you're giving
incorrectly all over the place. If you don't know the correct spelling,
use the common name or look it up but do stop giving false information
on this forum cute smile

It's New Year and (especially north o' the Border) one's fingers are
entitled to be a little tagneld.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 31-12-2005, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

It's New Year and (especially north o' the Border) one's fingers are
entitled to be a little tagneld.

Tagneld?! TAGNELD you said?! How many you just had?! huh?! Sipping
beer here. It's an early start and I thought if I've got to get to
midnight and stagger across the road, I might as well start light so
that I can stagger right. I hope you folloo hic

Old 31-12-2005, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pat

"Butterfly bush" in the UK is a common name for buddliea.
"Butterfly bush" in USA and Australia is a common name for gaura
lindheimeri
"Butterfly bush" in South Africa is a common name for polygala fruticosa.

This is interesting, you seem to know quite a bit about plant naming, How
does one get hold of information like that discribed above?

Pat

P.S. not to nit pick but should it not be Buddleja

Janet Baraclough wrote:

(snip)

"Butterfly bush" is the common name that encompasses all
buddlieas..if you're in the UK. It's naturalised in the UK, and has a
UK
common name.

(snip)

You will also find that in other countries the common name is the same
as the common names in the UK which means the exact description of the
plant without naturally where it's from, where it grows etc which is
more specified using latin. Butterfly bush will be in French 'arbre a
papillons', meaning the same thing.

You're missing the point entirely.

Here it is again. Never take it for granted that the same common name
used in another country or another language, means the same plant that
common name means in your own country and language. It may do, or it may
not.

"Butterfly bush" in the UK is a common name for buddliea.
"Butterfly bush" in USA and Australia is a common name for gaura
lindheimeri
"Butterfly bush" in South Africa is a common name for polygala fruticosa.

Janet

Old 01-01-2006, 01:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes

Buddleja and Buddleia are both accepted spellings (so far as I
know); and the pronunciation is the same. I don't write or think
Buddleja because I think it's a clumsy word shape, though at least it
should remind me that the E comes after the L :-)

Janet.

AFAICT, according to the rules, Buddleja is the correct spelling, but
I'm not able to find a clear exposition of the situation. IPNI
(International Plant Name Index) has Buddleja, and refers to Kew
Bulletin 349 (1928) for a note on the subject.

Linnaeus used the spelling Buddleja.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 01-01-2006, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
It's New Year and (especially north o' the Border) one's fingers are
entitled to be a little tagneld.

Tagneld?! TAGNELD you said?!

Don't forget he posts in the shed too. Sometimes it's diffikult to get
yer worms strait after an hour or too in their.

Old 01-01-2006, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

Well, a lot of it anyway.

Yes. Not all.

Try Ulex europaeus - gorse, furze, whin, wuzzy, to name a few common
name synonyms in English. But in french, Ajoncs or Landier, and in
German, Stechginster.

Where I'm from we call it jaugot or jaugey and closer to spain gaiol
)
Bonne Annee!!

And in Sutch = Gaspeldoorn

Jenny