Old 01-01-2006, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

Default Common names

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

shazzbat wrote:

Foxglove in German is "fingerhut" = finger hat.

How funny, considering how posonious it is! Antirrhinum latifolium,
Snapdragon is called 'gueule de loup' in French, meaning 'woolf's
face'. I wonder if there's a book with plants common names in Europe
and all their equivalent. That would be a treat for me )

Erhardt, W. et al. (editors).
Zander dictionary of plant names (GermanEnglishFrenchLatin)
pp.958, hardback, 2000. £42.20
Available from :
http://www.grantandcutler.com/catalo...r/TD2004_9.htm

Or
Elseviers Dictionary of Botany
QK 9 .E47
This dictionary consists of two volumes and lists
English-French-German-Latin-Russian entries. Volume I constitutes a listing of
names of plants, trees, shrubs, mushrooms and lichens in each language (over
6,000 entries). Volume II contains terms from closely related fields such as
agricultural chemistry, phytobiology, phytochemistry, horticulture, taxonomy,
and several others (almost 10,000 entries).
From: http://catnet.ksu.edu/subguides/hort/diction.html

And
http://www.rero.ch/page.php?section=...id=botani que
has a couple too :~))

Bonne Annee, Jenny

Old 01-01-2006, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote The message
Janet Baraclough wrote:

But just bear in mind that a common name like daisy can
refer to many different plants according to where the poster hails
from. If in doubt, check it out.

Last seen on a tandem...
Rusty

"Pat" wrote
Thank you all for your helpful advice.
Can anyone suggest a good reference book on the topic?

Pat
Happy New Year to All

http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au...g/sitemap.html maybe :~))
Jenny

Old 01-01-2006, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

JennyC wrote:

Erhardt, W. et al. (editors).
Zander dictionary of plant names (GermanEnglishFrenchLatin)
pp.958, hardback, 2000. £42.20
Available from :
http://www.grantandcutler.com/catalo...r/TD2004_9.htm

(snipette)

Jenny, thank you very much. I better start saving. I really want one of
those. The one I like is 120 pounds!!

ps. Greatful to the creator of Alka Seltzer too. Oh me head ...

Old 01-01-2006, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Janet Baraclough wrote:

"Butterfly bush" in the UK is a common name for buddliea.

(snip)

Buddleja and Buddleia are both accepted spellings (so far as I know);
and the pronunciation is the same. I don't write or think Buddleja
because I think it's a clumsy word shape, though at least it should
remind me that the E comes after the L :-)

But that's not what you wrote. You wrote buddliea, twice )

Old 01-01-2006, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

JennyC wrote:

Erhardt, W. et al. (editors).
Zander dictionary of plant names (GermanEnglishFrenchLatin)
pp.958, hardback, 2000. £42.20
Available from :
http://www.grantandcutler.com/catalo...r/TD2004_9.htm

(snipette)

Jenny, thank you very much. I better start saving. I really want one of
those. The one I like is 120 pounds!!

ps. Greatful to the creator of Alka Seltzer too. Oh me head ...

Serves you right :~))

We had a nice Brunch just now from last nights leftovers ......
Cranberry pate
Runny French cheeses
Fresh water shrimps
Crab salad
Smoked sausage
Mini crusty rolls & French bread
Dutch 'oliebollen' (sort of home made dounut type things - the MiL is a master
at these!)

Jenny

Old 01-01-2006, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Martin wrote:

Have you tried looking for a second hand copy via
http://www.abebooks.com/

Thanks Martin. Can't get to the page sadly but will try later.

Old 01-01-2006, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

JennyC wrote:

Serves you right :~))
We had a nice Brunch just now from last nights leftovers ......
Cranberry pate
Runny French cheeses
Fresh water shrimps
Crab salad
Smoked sausage
Mini crusty rolls & French bread
Dutch 'oliebollen' (sort of home made dounut type things - the MiL is a master
at these!)

turns green

A boiled egg and a toast is all I could handle this morning. But I've
perked up now.

I've put it to my clan what they'd like to eat and one said chicken,
one said carrotts, one said pasta and one said stew. I'm making a coq
au vin with carrotts and some 'orrible plonk someone brought and will
serve it with pasta. There. I can now relax. The wonder of oven cooking
.... )

Old 01-01-2006, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 15:22:10 +0100, "JennyC"
wrote:

Dutch 'oliebollen' (sort of home made dounut type things - the MiL is a

master
at these!)

Look at number 80
http://www.ad.nl/oliebollentest/
Martin

Sorry folks totally off topic and not even about Britain........

They were queuing for two and a half hours at number one on Friday......!
Jenny

Old 01-01-2006, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Martin wrote:

Have you tried looking for a second hand copy via
http://www.abebooks.com/

Thanks Martin. Can't get to the page sadly but will try later.

Here's the Amazon U.K link to all three editions 2003 -2000
including links to secondhand copies - prices from £20 s/h to
£35 new

full link

short link

http://tinyurl.com/agcsy

Buying secondhand through Amazon marketplace can be handy as
all dealers who list through them, use a flat postage charge
per book, in the UK anyway which is handy for heavier books.
Amazon have a feedback system of sorts for their listing dealers,
which ABE don't. If you pay using a credit card then you always
have the option of a charge-back in case of any real problems

Here's the description and synopsis of the 2003 edition from Amazon -

quote

Hardcover 990 pages (January 1, 2003)
Publisher: Plant P.
ISBN: 1903257093
Category(ies): Science & Nature

Synopsis
This classic reference work now in its 17th edition defines current plant
nomenclature and the correct classification of vascular plants. Now
available in a tri-lingual version with introductory sections in English,
German and French. In all about 3,600 genera with 20,000 species and 10,000
cross-referenced synonyms are described. The Author's names are abbreviated
according to Brummitt & Powell: The Authors of Plant Names published by the
Royal Botanic Garden, Kew. Zander includes the most important plants grown
and collected in Central Europe. There is an almost complete listing of
native species found in Central European in this edition. Comprehensive
lists of English, German and French common names are now a feature of this
extensive reference work.

/quote

michael adams

Old 01-01-2006, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

michael adams wrote:

Here's the Amazon U.K link to all three editions 2003 -2000
including links to secondhand copies - prices from £20 s/h to
£35 new
full link

You are a wonder! Now ... can you buy it for me and come read it to me
by the fire?! Maybe not ) Thank you very much.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On 1 Jan 2006 09:01:03 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:

michael adams wrote:

Here's the Amazon U.K link to all three editions 2003 -2000
including links to secondhand copies - prices from £20 s/h to
£35 new
full link

Produces

"Attention: There appears to be a bug in the web browser you are
currently using. Here are some ways to get around the problem:

* To return to the page you were previously on: --click the BACK
button on your browser's navigation bar until you reach the desired
page.
* To checkout --click on the shopping cart icon at the top of the
page and proceed through the checkout process using the standard
server (instead of the secure server). You can phone or fax the credit
card information to us.

Your Web browser is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US;
rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5."

Oops, same here. Try this, validated on alt.test.

http://tinyurl.com/74zy5

for

michael adams

--
Martin

Old 01-01-2006, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Martin" wrote in message

michael adams wrote:

[...]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...ooks-uk&field-
keywords=Zander%20dictionary%20of%20plant%20names/ref=xs_ap_sai3_xgl/026-308
1208-6956424

What's the GBP1.99 sourcing fee? Are they being run by a cut price
airline?

Clicking the link alongside the sourcing fee, labelled "learn more"
explains that this only applies to certain new titles, which isn't
applicable here.

quote

Additional Books Handling Charge

Some books take more time, effort or expense than others
to locate and obtain through our usual suppliers. In these
cases we add an additional handling charge of £1.99
(excluding VAT) per item to the cost of the order.

/quote

hth

I'd rather support small second hand book shops.

Not the same small secondhand bookshops who are being put out
of business by home based part-timers who list on ABE, by any
chance ?

As it happens the top listing on both ABE and Amazon is Halcyon
Books, which offer their copy for £20 on both cases. While two
out of the four ABE offerings are in Germany in any case.

michael adams

Martin

Old 01-01-2006, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message . com
from "La Puce" contains these words:
JennyC wrote:

Serves you right :~))
We had a nice Brunch just now from last nights leftovers ......
Cranberry pate
Runny French cheeses
Fresh water shrimps
Crab salad
Smoked sausage
Mini crusty rolls & French bread
Dutch 'oliebollen' (sort of home made dounut type things - the MiL
is a master
at these!)

/requotes list to rub it in.../

turns green

Envy?

A boiled egg and a toast is all I could handle this morning. But I've
perked up now.

A boiled egg and toast and I'd have puked-up by now too.

Oh. *PERKED* up.

Boiled egg toast = perked-up - Does not compute

I've put it to my clan what they'd like to eat and one said chicken,
one said carrotts, one said pasta and one said stew. I'm making a coq
au vin with carrotts and some 'orrible plonk someone brought and will
serve it with pasta. There. I can now relax. The wonder of oven cooking
.... )

I'm making paté from turkey giblets which the local butcher's customers
didn't want - livers, gizzards, some meat from necks, all cooked and
chopped-up small with thick stock, some abrasive Italian vino Exide,
turkey grease, marjoram, thyme, nutmeg, black pepper and garlic, then
recooked together in a covered basin on defrost.

Now *THAT* on hot buttered toast...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 01-01-2006, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

/requotes list to rub it in.../
turns green

Envy?

You ... you ...

A boiled egg and a toast is all I could handle this morning. But I've
perked up now.

A boiled egg and toast and I'd have puked-up by now too.
Oh. *PERKED* up.
Boiled egg toast = perked-up - Does not compute

And a lil' bit of cheese. It's nice with black coffee. Us foreenieurs
know what's good for us.

I'm making paté from turkey giblets which the local butcher's customers
didn't want - livers, gizzards, some meat from necks, all cooked and
chopped-up small with thick stock, some abrasive Italian vino Exide,
turkey grease, marjoram, thyme, nutmeg, black pepper and garlic, then
recooked together in a covered basin on defrost.
Now *THAT* on hot buttered toast...

*That* sounds rather nice. It reminds me when little I used to fight my
grand dad to get to eat the meat from necks. You should give it a name!

Old 01-01-2006, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 18:10:14 -0000, "michael adams"
wrote:

.. .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...books-uk&field

-

[...]

The books I have bought via abe came from real second hand bookshops.
--
Martin

Oh all right then.

I won't ask you how you can be sure.