Old 06-01-2006, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

Default Which Tomatoes?

Last year we grew our first ever greenhouse tomoatoes.
We did Sungold and Tigerella.
Sungold were stunning and we will do them again. They are small, orange and
have an intense sweet flavour.
Tigerella are medium sized and were watery and we wont do them again.

We would like to grow medium sized varieties for cooking and salads. What
are your favourites?

Des

Old 06-01-2006, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Des Higgins" contains these words:

/tomatoes/

We would like to grow medium sized varieties for cooking and salads. What
are your favourites?

My suggestions would be

a) avoid Moneymaker like the plague, and try:
b) Alicante
c) Ailsa Craig
d) Shirley

Oh, and if Pixie is still about, that's pretty flavourless too.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 06-01-2006, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Des Higgins wrote:

Last year we grew our first ever greenhouse tomoatoes.
We did Sungold and Tigerella.
Sungold were stunning and we will do them again. They are small, orange and
have an intense sweet flavour.
Tigerella are medium sized and were watery and we wont do them again.

We would like to grow medium sized varieties for cooking and salads. What
are your favourites?

Des

We used to grow Marmande tomatoes at home (SW Frogland). Incredibly
sweet and flavoursome, though some of that might have been down to
climate.
I have recently seen a "super Marmande" in a UK based seed company
catalogue, so I assume they can be grown successfully here too - though
I haven't grown any tomatoes in my new garden yet
They grow very large fruit, but quite firm and very, very flavoursome.
Perfect for just about every culinary use, cooked or raw.
The neighbour's cat used to laze among the rows of plants in the
summer, and would have that incredibly tomato-plant smell permanently
on her. I'd better stop before I begin sounding like Proust and his
madeleines.
Anyway, Happy New Year, young man.

Cat(h)
Sigless in 2006

Old 06-01-2006, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Des
Higgins writes
Last year we grew our first ever greenhouse tomoatoes.
We did Sungold and Tigerella.
Sungold were stunning and we will do them again. They are small, orange and
have an intense sweet flavour.
Tigerella are medium sized and were watery and we wont do them again.

We would like to grow medium sized varieties for cooking and salads. What
are your favourites?

Ailsa Craig are lovely. Moneymakers are very watery and although grow
fast and large are, IMO, tasteless.
--
June Hughes
Old 06-01-2006, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Des Higgins
writes
Last year we grew our first ever greenhouse tomoatoes.
We did Sungold and Tigerella.
Sungold were stunning and we will do them again. They are small, orange
and
have an intense sweet flavour.
Tigerella are medium sized and were watery and we wont do them again.

We would like to grow medium sized varieties for cooking and salads. What
are your favourites?

Ailsa Craig are lovely. Moneymakers are very watery and although grow
fast and large are, IMO, tasteless.
--
June Hughes

thanks June and Rusty; that is already useful.
When you look at the blurb for Moneymaker it sounds perfectly good but it
takes a whole season to try them to find out if they taste any good. They
are probably perfectly useful in terms of speed of growth and disease
resistance but taste is the main reason for doing it youself.

2 votes out of 2 for Ailsa Craig aleady.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Des Higgins" wrote ...
Last year we grew our first ever greenhouse tomoatoes.
We did Sungold and Tigerella.
Sungold were stunning and we will do them again. They are small, orange
and have an intense sweet flavour.
Tigerella are medium sized and were watery and we wont do them again.

We would like to grow medium sized varieties for cooking and salads. What
are your favourites?

For cooking...
Brigade. (if you can get them)
Roma.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 06-01-2006, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Des Higgins wrote:
Last year we grew our first ever greenhouse tomoatoes.
We did Sungold and Tigerella.
Sungold were stunning and we will do them again. They are small,
orange and have an intense sweet flavour.
Tigerella are medium sized and were watery and we wont do them again.

We would like to grow medium sized varieties for cooking and salads. What
are your favourites?

Des

I grew Shirley and was quite pleased with the results, they have plenty of
taste and keep for 4 or 5 days without refrigeration, any surplus are
readily frozen without any preparation and are excellent in cooked dishes or
just chopped and heated with cheese, the tiny ones are like sweets and kids
love them, either on their own or in salads, the larger, fully ripened ones
are perfect for sandwiches, cooking or salads, but the partially ripened
ones are my favourites for cooking purposes, curries and pasta dishes and
virtually any other dish which requires tomatoes will be vastly improved by
using a couple of these in place of tinned or shop bought tomatoes.
Very often I could pick an entire truss of ripened fruits and given that I
lost about 75% of my entire crop to squirrels, I still ended up with a
fairly decent batch in the freezer, plus what we eat along the way, they are
quite prolific in the right conditions.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Des Higgins" contains these words:

thanks June and Rusty; that is already useful.
When you look at the blurb for Moneymaker it sounds perfectly good but it
takes a whole season to try them to find out if they taste any good. They
are probably perfectly useful in terms of speed of growth and disease
resistance but taste is the main reason for doing it youself.

2 votes out of 2 for Ailsa Craig aleady.

I've been under the thrall of Ailsa Craig for fifty (?) years, and
Alicante since the 1960s

Shirley, I've been growing since the 'seventies.

Monemaker taste like wet rags, and aren't even pleasant fried.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 06-01-2006, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

"Des Higgins" wrote ...
Last year we grew our first ever greenhouse tomoatoes.
We did Sungold and Tigerella.
Sungold were stunning and we will do them again. They are small, orange
and have an intense sweet flavour.
Tigerella are medium sized and were watery and we wont do them again.

We would like to grow medium sized varieties for cooking and salads.
What
are your favourites?

For cooking...
Brigade. (if you can get them)
Roma.

Ah, yes, Roma. Plum tomatoes, and very tasty.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 07-01-2006, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Des Higgins wrote:

[...]

We have a nice big greenhouse so, in principle, we can match Toulouse type
outdoors weather. I get wary of varieties of varieties as the blurb in
catalogues can make estate agent speak sound almost honest so I am wary of
super marmande; I will see if we can find ordinary marmande. Nice mega
tomatoes are fantastic if they have a good taste (olive oil, capers,
mozarella and a sunny evening).

On a complete tangent, we have at long last booked 10 days on the canal du
midi nest June/July. We have been meaning to do it for years but finally
booked it this year.

Des

Cat(h)
Sigless in 2006

Old 08-01-2006, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
P Williamson

Tigerella are among the most tasty we grow big thing with taste is not to
overwater...

Alicante fine, try black krim for taste.....

. ie...

Old 09-01-2006, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 15:19:18 -0000, "Des Higgins"
wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
roups.com...

Des Higgins wrote:

[...]

Brilliant plan! I have no doubt but that you will enjoy it. I'll
probably cover some of that territory next Summer too, but most likely
in August.

I also hope that, if you do find Marmandes, you are not disappointed.

Cat(h)
The world swirls...