Old 20-03-2003, 02:20 AM
shannie

Default can I plant now?

I spent the entire bank holiday weekend (st patricks) out in the garden
clearing,digging, fertilising, raking, fencing off and generally preparing a
new plot (40sq ft)for my new veggie project. Having been working on a now
nicely established garden of flowers, trees and shrubs for 15yrs I've not
really had to put a lot of thought into when do do things, it kind of became
automatic. But veggies are completely new to me. What has me baffled at the
moment is when exactly I can start my planting. Iv got my beds prepared
(cleaned out nicely by my chucks!) and Im all ready but it's the weather Im
worried about. We're having wonderful balmy warm weather by day but -2 to -4
by night. What I want to know is, can I safely plant the likes of peas,
lettuce, onion seeds, cabbage seeds etc now or would it be pertinent to wait
a week or so longer? It's such wonderful weather I just want to be out
sowing, I just know if I wait I'll be out in the rain again

Thanks in advance

--
Shan (Ireland)
To mail me direct please reply to: shannie(AT)utvinternet.ie

Old 20-03-2003, 07:44 AM
Martin Sykes

"shannie" wrote in message
by night. What I want to know is, can I safely plant the likes of peas,
lettuce, onion seeds, cabbage seeds etc now or would it be pertinent to

wait
a week or so longer? It's such wonderful weather I just want to be out
sowing, I just know if I wait I'll be out in the rain again

Easiest advice is to read the seed packets. I've got two varieties of
lettuce, spring onions and peas in at the moment. Had a couple of frosts
since with no ill effect.

Martin

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Beachcomber

Sorry I don't agree with reading the seed packets, you must see what the
weather is like. The ground here, even in Plymouth is too cold for many
small seeds I think. Best to wait until the annual weeds start to germinate.
I have put sprouts and leeks in pots but not out in the ground. If you put
things in too early you often need to do it again. You pays your money and
takes your choice

Martin Sykes wrote:
: ...
:

Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
shannie

Thanks guys Will take the advise from both, will plant a few this weekend
see how they go, and go ahead with more in a week or so.

Shan

"Beachcomber"