Old 20-01-2006, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default OT for Chris French

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

"Alan Holmes" wrote

You could keep a seperate file with just email addresse in, that
would solve the problem, you could even use the same file to keep
postal addresses in as well, aren't I clever?(:-)

And how would I get that to "Mail Merge" for printing address

labels
etc without it becoming another Address Book?

Scanner and TextBridge.

And just don't use OE for email.

HTH

Ditto.

--
Mike.

Old 21-01-2006, 01:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Space

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Someone with (probably) a Windows box who is using IE, OE and/or Outlook
has acquired a virus, worm or trojan.

These can raid the address books of IE and Outlook, and gather addresses
from saved e-mails and newsitems, then, when they are online, the
scumware 'phones home' with information about the computer, and often
any bank details it can find. It also replicates itself (which is why
it's called a virus) and sends itself to everyone in the address book
while the computer is connected to the net.

What is an address book' and why does anyone think they need it?

that is a very good point - although maybe in a different context. how many
people email correspondents directly? I personally use NGs to post
directly.

knowing who has valid addresses used by other users of this group may enable
to track the source of the virus

Old 21-01-2006, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Space" contains these words:

knowing who has valid addresses used by other users of this group may enable
to track the source of the virus

That's assuming the OP only posts in this group, or that the virus is
being propagated by a computer which posts to this group.

The addresses could have been culled by a trojan or virus from the
address book of anyone who added them for a good (or maybe not so good)
reason, - maybe someone totally unknown to anyone in the group. By now
it will be sending copies of itself in e-mails from people many times
removed from the originator.

--
Rusty
Men love women, women love children, children love hamsters.
Old 21-01-2006, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Anthony Anson

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Well, as of last night,my email program shuts itself down every time I open
privately sent email. But it allows me to open email from e.g. stores
asking me to buy whatever in their online sales! V. useful. Not.
It is also re-displaying the same emails that I have deleted over and over
again since this morning. Any minute now this machine is going to be doing
aerobatics.

ISTR you mentioning something about it being a Mac?

Have you asked in one of the Mac support groups?

I'd suggest alt.comp.os.mac - or if they are still open to outsiders,
demon.ip.support.mac

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 21-01-2006, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:05:07 +0000, Anthony Anson wrote
(in article ):

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Well, as of last night,my email program shuts itself down every time I open
privately sent email. But it allows me to open email from e.g. stores
asking me to buy whatever in their online sales! V. useful. Not.
It is also re-displaying the same emails that I have deleted over and over
again since this morning. Any minute now this machine is going to be doing
aerobatics.

ISTR you mentioning something about it being a Mac?

Have you asked in one of the Mac support groups?

I'd suggest alt.comp.os.mac - or if they are still open to outsiders,
demon.ip.support.mac

Or you could try comp.sys.mac.apps

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

CHRIS BROWN ... Saying Miley Cyrus is UGLY ! [email protected] Gardening 2 14-04-2009 12:51 PM
For Chris Boulby Iris McCanna United Kingdom 3 29-10-2003 10:12 AM
Chris Owens David Hill Gardening 5 08-09-2003 06:42 AM
Welcome back Chris Owens! [email protected] Gardening 13 22-08-2003 06:02 AM