Old 18-01-2006, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default OT for Chris French

Have you sent me 3 emails by any chance? All are marked as being from
urgfaq with your name as part of the address.
I've had two other suspicious emails which could have passed as being from
someone I know, both with attachments, as 'yours' were. Anyone else
experiencing this?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-01-2006, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
Have you sent me 3 emails by any chance? All are marked as being from
urgfaq with your name as part of the address.
I've had two other suspicious emails which could have passed as being from
someone I know, both with attachments, as 'yours' were. Anyone else
experiencing this?

I never open attachments which have apparently come from someone I know
unless they have either told me they are sending me those, or I ask them
before opening them.

A few years ago I had such a message from someone I knew, but as I couldn't
understand why he would be sending me that sort of thing, I contacted him
and he said they were being sent without his knowledge and they contained a
virus.

So be very wary.

Alan

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-01-2006, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , Sacha
writes
Have you sent me 3 emails by any chance? All are marked as being from
urgfaq with your name as part of the address.

No, sounds like a virus infection on someone else machine that has the
address in the windows Address book.
--
Chris French

Old 18-01-2006, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"chris French" wrote after
Sacha wrote
Have you sent me 3 emails by any chance? All are marked as being from
urgfaq with your name as part of the address.

No, sounds like a virus infection on someone else machine that has the
address in the windows Address book.

I too have suspected for some while that someone that posts on this Ng has
an infected computer as I have received mail from, as Sacha intimates she
has, similar addresses to some posters with virus attachments. I've also had
mail bounce back to me as if I sent it, with virus attachments, suggesting
I'm in the address book of an infected computer that is thereby sending out
infected mail with my address, or a slightly changed one, as the sender.

Cannot believe anyone using the net would not have a good Anti-Virus Program
and run a full scan at least monthly.

A Free anti-virus tool at...
http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Vir...6.html?tag=pop

and a free proper Firewall (Zonealarm) at
http://www.download.com/ZoneAlarm-Ti...7.html?tag=txt and
it tells you how to set it up properly too.

Although personally I always believe you get what you pay for which is why I
use McAfee for both. :-)
--
Regards
Bob

Old 19-01-2006, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Cannot believe anyone using the net would not have a good Anti-Virus
Program
and run a full scan at least monthly.

*MONTHLY*? I run AVG with a full scan daily, sometimes more, and it's
always watching in the background. I sometimes update my definitions
twice in a day...

A Free anti-virus tool at...
http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Vir...6.html?tag=pop

Very good.

and a free proper Firewall (Zonealarm) at
http://www.download.com/ZoneAlarm-Ti...7.html?tag=txt and
it tells you how to set it up properly too.

Though it can clash with XP SP2 IIRC

Although personally I always believe you get what you pay for which is
why I
use McAfee for both. :-)

Now you've ruined the good advice by mentioning that resource-hungry
chocolate fireguard.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 19-01-2006, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Flower Bobdew

In article , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Cannot believe anyone using the net would not have a good Anti-Virus
Program and run a full scan at least monthly.

*MONTHLY*?

Yes, quite. A decade ago you may've got away with that, but now it's a
bit like saying... When I go to bed at night I close my front door at
least once a month. Clearly it works, as I haven't been burgled. Yet.

: }

Although personally I always believe you get what you pay for which is
why I use McAfee for both. :-)

Don't believe what McAfee will tell you and sell you. Look at various
independent reviews for their products...

Now you've ruined the good advice by mentioning that resource-hungry
chocolate fireguard.

Quite. And Norton straddles your system like some voracious behemoth
too. Still, it's a good way of finding out if you're low on
resources!!!! : 7

--
Flower Bobdew
South Facing Garden
Old 19-01-2006, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 19/1/06 0:32, in article , "chris
French" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
On 18/1/06 21:40, in article , "chris
French" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
Have you sent me 3 emails by any chance? All are marked as being from
urgfaq with your name as part of the address.

No, sounds like a virus infection on someone else machine that has the
address in the windows Address book.

Interesting. I'm using a Mac so the attachments won't open, even if I'd
tried to get them to do so.

Opening attachments is fine, as long as you know what you are doing.

Which in my case........ ;-(

But I am curious as to why this is happening.

Not that surprising really.

There is a fair chance that there are number of machine out there that
have both of our email addresses on given our long history of urg
posting (though the urgfaq address isn't one that would have been used
on urg someone communicating with me about the faq would likely have
used that address.

That machine gets infected with a virus, it scans the machine, finds our
addresses and happens to send out an email to you and happens to use my
address to spoof the from address to make it look like it has come from
me (remember it could be sending out thousands of emails)

I received another email, with unopened attachment, from a friend who was
working in Cairo. I checked with him and he hadn't been in touch with me
yesterday. He's going to contact his secretary in Cairo and get her to
check if there have been any shenanigans with regard to his computer.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-01-2006, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

What is an address book' and why does anyone think they need it?

Its the automated computer equivalent of a paper and pen
postal-address book, but with email addresses. Remembering all my
correspondents' email addresses by heart would be even harder than
remembering their postal ones.

Janet.
Old 19-01-2006, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , Sacha
writes

I received another email, with unopened attachment, from a friend who was
working in Cairo.

From him or 'apparently from him'?

I checked with him and he hadn't been in touch with me
yesterday. He's going to contact his secretary in Cairo and get her to
check if there have been any shenanigans with regard to his computer.

As we've said these emails usually come from another machine that uses
someone elses address they find to make it look like it came from them.

anyway you are on a mac aren't you, so are going to be immune anyway
from all these windows things, even if you were to open one.

--
Chris French

Old 19-01-2006, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , Alan Holmes
writes

These can raid the address books of IE and Outlook, and gather addresses
from saved e-mails and newsitems, then, when they are online, the
scumware 'phones home' with information about the computer, and often
any bank details it can find. It also replicates itself (which is why
it's called a virus) and sends itself to everyone in the address book
while the computer is connected to the net.

What is an address book' and why does anyone think they need it?

Where you keep your addresses....

In this context it is where email programs keep the list of email
addresses so that you don't need to type them in everytime The address
book used by Windows/Outlook/OE is vulnerable to this sort of 'attack'

Though other email programs with their own aren't (at least they
haven't been attacked yet anyway)

--
Chris French

Old 19-01-2006, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

In article , Sacha
writes
I received another email, with unopened attachment, from a friend who was
working in Cairo. I checked with him and he hadn't been in touch with me
yesterday. He's going to contact his secretary in Cairo and get her to
check if there have been any shenanigans with regard to his computer.

Sacha, it sounds as if your address book has been "invaded" and
everyone in it will probably get an email purporting to be from you -
this happened to a colleague of mine recently on her home computer.
I have just done a search on my Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition and I
see that I have a virus in quarantine - now quickly removed! I tried to
do a trail through stuff to see where and when it came in but
unfortunately I am not very computer literate so I couldn't find the
source. Fortunately anything that comes in here, (my own personal
computer) is well screened and on my official computer, I am behind an
NHS Firewall.
--
Judith Lea

CHRIS BROWN ... Saying Miley Cyrus is UGLY ! [email protected] Gardening 2 14-04-2009 12:51 PM
For Chris Boulby Iris McCanna United Kingdom 3 29-10-2003 10:12 AM
Chris Owens David Hill Gardening 5 08-09-2003 06:42 AM
Welcome back Chris Owens! [email protected] Gardening 13 22-08-2003 06:02 AM