Old 07-02-2006, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Need to water in SE England

We have had very little rain in Croydon during the past month. My daffs
have stopped growing and I wonder if they need watering - I've never
had to do this before and it doesn't seem right to water in winter. But
everything feels really dry. Any advice much appreciated.

Terry

Old 07-02-2006, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Terry wrote
We have had very little rain in Croydon during the past month. My daffs
have stopped growing and I wonder if they need watering - I've never
had to do this before and it doesn't seem right to water in winter. But
everything feels really dry. Any advice much appreciated.

I too am worried, our Garlic has stopped growing despite it being mild
enough for it to be forging ahead. The soil (Thames silt/clay) still has
some moisture in it but nothing like it should at this time of year.
If it stays like this until the summer I don't hold out much hope as we
aren't allowed hosepipes on our allotments in the Runnymede BC area and
buckets won't be enough, and that's assuming they won't turn off the water
completely if the drought continues.
The Thames is so low, it's below normal summer level with hardly any flow,
when it should be in spate with fears of flooding etc.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 07-02-2006, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

wrote in message
oups.com...
We have had very little rain in Croydon during the past month. My daffs
have stopped growing and I wonder if they need watering - I've never
had to do this before and it doesn't seem right to water in winter. But
everything feels really dry. Any advice much appreciated.

Terry

I guess it wouldn't do any harm but I am sure others will give additional
info.
It's also unusually dry in my garden (West Yorkshire). Before privatisation
there was a fabulous proposed national water grid
system in the offing which was shelved. I am convinced that will be
resurrected .
Meanwhile I will leave you with one of the many Gems from the 1998
Select Committee on Environment, Transport and Regional Affairs
Minutes of Evidence

Chairman
Unaccounted for water is a leak, is it?

(Dr Price) Yes, I am sorry, yes it is.

Full article which explains why we will be short of water (very dry stuff)
http://www.parliament.the-stationery...ix/8051312.htm

Old 07-02-2006, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"Rupert" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

We're not short of water (very dry stuff), we're short of water (very wet
stuff).

Incidentally it rained here (BH22) this evening. Briefly.

But anyway, now is a great time for all of you whose allotments, like mine,
have no water provided. People who are having boilers replaced nowadays are
having condensing boilers installed. This liberates a large water tank in
the loft which most people will let you have if you ask nicely. Befriend
your local plumber. Then catch the water off your shed/greenhouse/whatever.

Steve

Old 07-02-2006, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

It's also unusually dry in my garden (West Yorkshire). Before privatisation
there was a fabulous proposed national water grid
system in the offing which was shelved. I am convinced that will be
resurrected .

Probably not until after the Second Coming, if then. You've had our
oil, you're not getting our water
(and I bet Wales won't want to be drowned again either) :-)

Janet. (West Scotland, raining hard)

Old 08-02-2006, 01:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Kay" wrote in message
Rupert writes

wrote in message
groups.com...
We have had very little rain in Croydon during the past month. My daffs
have stopped growing and I wonder if they need watering - I've never
had to do this before and it doesn't seem right to water in winter. But
everything feels really dry. Any advice much appreciated.

Terry

I guess it wouldn't do any harm but I am sure others will give additional
info.
It's also unusually dry in my garden (West Yorkshire).

Interesting - I'm not far from you, and it is still wet, following the
trend of the last few years.

Although we don't have standing water in the veg garden.

--
Kay

Not much soil in the main garden. Slightly raised beds on rock drains well .
The bit of woodland on a slope always defies any sensible logic in either
soil type or moisture retention. Bits of nice moist acidic followed by dry
alkaline.The wet and deep shaded bit does ok for all the things you would
expect but when I was digging a trench in anticipation of a forthcoming
arrival I was hitting dry snuff at 6".
It's possible that it's always been dry at this time of year but I really do
doubt it. A few neighbours have been muttering and moaning about dead
outside pot plants so I know it's not just me going slightly dotty -am I?
Anyway I think you must get extra divine blessings in your location:-)

Old 08-02-2006, 01:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

It's also unusually dry in my garden (West Yorkshire). Before
privatisation
there was a fabulous proposed national water grid
system in the offing which was shelved. I am convinced that will be
resurrected .

Probably not until after the Second Coming, if then. You've had our
oil, you're not getting our water
(and I bet Wales won't want to be drowned again either) :-)

Janet. (West Scotland, raining hard)

Wales has already declared that water could be available -at a price.
I suppose you lot are open to persuasion. You managed to fill the local
supermarkets with 5 gall cans of Clan Rip-off during the 95/96 crisis in
double quick time :-)
I suppose you won't want to let us have any lecy from the new generation
nuclear reactors that we so generously plonk on your doorstep :-)
And I hope all the rain you are getting makes your woollies go soggy -you
are rotten you a-)

Old 08-02-2006, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

Wales has already declared that water could be available -at a price.
I suppose you lot are open to persuasion. You managed to fill the local
supermarkets with 5 gall cans of Clan Rip-off during the 95/96 crisis in
double quick time :-)

Now you're talking. Now, what have you got to offer that might
persuade me to post you a bottle of Heavenly-O?

I suppose you won't want to let us have any lecy from the new generation
nuclear reactors that we so generously plonk on your doorstep :-)

We were about to shut them down very soon until you said you were
scared of the dark. Just wait till our windmills are all up and running,
you'll probably have to tie yourself down to avoid the backdraft.

And I hope all the rain you are getting makes your woollies go soggy -you
are rotten you a-)

You're just peeved because I turned down your request for a signed
photo of "Ms Wild Wet Woolly Vest 1974".

Janet.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay

Rupert writes

"Kay" wrote in message
Interesting - I'm not far from you, and it is still wet, following the
trend of the last few years.

Although we don't have standing water in the veg garden.

Not much soil in the main garden. Slightly raised beds on rock drains well .
The bit of woodland on a slope always defies any sensible logic in either
soil type or moisture retention. Bits of nice moist acidic followed by dry
alkaline.The wet and deep shaded bit does ok for all the things you would
expect but when I was digging a trench in anticipation of a forthcoming
arrival I was hitting dry snuff at 6".
It's possible that it's always been dry at this time of year but I really do
doubt it. A few neighbours have been muttering and moaning about dead
outside pot plants so I know it's not just me going slightly dotty -am I?
Anyway I think you must get extra divine blessings in your location:-)

We're the opposite, a clay-filled hollow. It may have been dry recently
but not so much so that it's had an impact, and it certainly wasn't dry
last year!

Vegetation around here has changed over the years I've been here - most
noticeably a plague of lesser celandines.

--
Kay
Old 08-02-2006, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Kay" wrote in message
Rupert writes

"Kay" wrote in message

Snip

Vegetation around here has changed over the years I've been here - most
noticeably a plague of lesser celandines

Kay

Fortunately it's not got invasive here, unlike the wild garlic.
I don't worry about it but once it has died down and is lying around in
those untidy masses I use a garden vac to suck the lot up which seems to get
rid of those prolific seeds. I have a desultory go at digging out some of
it.
IMO trying to dig it up without first getting rid of the seed just makes
matters worse.
I suppose there are plenty of weed killers (spit) that do a job. Household
salt works well as long as the rain doesn't wash it off.
If you want to be really vindictive use hydrogen peroxide, if you can get
it.
I saw this stuff for sale the year before last at a local garden centre. It
really was lesser celandine I was not getting confused with all the other
look alikes.
I have not visited that garden centre this year but it would not surprise me
if they are selling ground elder :-)

Old 08-02-2006, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay

Rupert writes

Lesser celandine

I saw this stuff for sale the year before last at a local garden centre. It
really was lesser celandine I was not getting confused with all the other
look alikes.

There is at least one garden variety, a white flowered form. Personally,
I prefer the wild form - it has always been one of my favourite flowers.

I have not visited that garden centre this year but it would not surprise me
if they are selling ground elder :-)

They'll almost certainly be selling the variegated form.

--
Kay
Old 08-02-2006, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

Fortunately it's not got invasive here, unlike the wild garlic.
I don't worry about it but once it has died down and is lying around in
those untidy masses I use a garden vac to suck the lot up which seems to get
rid of those prolific seeds. I have a desultory go at digging out some of
it.

Ransomes?

I'd give some a good home, and that'd save Des Higgins looking for some.

--
Rusty
Men love women, women love children, children love hamsters.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

Fortunately it's not got invasive here, unlike the wild garlic.
I don't worry about it but once it has died down and is lying around in
those untidy masses I use a garden vac to suck the lot up which seems to
get
rid of those prolific seeds. I have a desultory go at digging out some of
it.

Ransomes?

I'd give some a good home, and that'd save Des Higgins looking for some.

--
Rusty

I know I am a very generous, kind hearted, wonderful person but NO I refuse
to provide
you or anyone else with free Ransomes ( lawnmowers.)

Ramsons, on the other hand, is no problem. What tonnage?

Old 08-02-2006, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

I know I am a very generous, kind hearted, wonderful person but NO I refuse
to provide
you or anyone else with free Ransomes ( lawnmowers.)

I was thinking rather of a nice power harrow or a reversible
seven-furrow plough...

Ramsons, on the other hand, is no problem. What tonnage?

Well, knocking the 'e' off the end instead, shall I send a tea chest?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 09-02-2006, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"shazzbat" wrote in message

SNIP

Incidentally it rained here (BH22) this evening. Briefly.

Update. Went to the allotment this morning and the rain gauge had 1.5mm.
Total for the year so far - 37.5mm.

Steve