Old 08-02-2006, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David

Default Wood chippings as mulch

Hi,
I've spent today "pruning" a large tree and now have a mountain of
branches. In the past I have used wood chippings from shredded branches
around the base of our hedges and trees down the side of the garden and my
ferns and shrubs all seem to enjoy the mulch (in places it's 6 inches deep).
Once I get my trusty shredder going over the next few days, I intend putting
the chippings down on a large bed of hebes, berberis, cotoneaster and
azalea in another part of our garden. Would these benefit? I would be
grateful for advice on this course of action,

regards,

David

PS it was a cracking day today, I could hear the grass
growing.................

Old 08-02-2006, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
the pilot

All I would say is make sure its well composted and/or its free from
diease. Like do not use rose cuttings which have got black spot etc
etc.

There is a belief that bark chippings from pine forests, has
introduced Box blight (Cylindrocladium buxicola) to a devasting
effect, in different parts of the country.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 8/2/06 21:27, in article
, "David"
wrote:

Hi,
I've spent today "pruning" a large tree and now have a mountain of
branches. In the past I have used wood chippings from shredded branches
around the base of our hedges and trees down the side of the garden and my
ferns and shrubs all seem to enjoy the mulch (in places it's 6 inches deep).
Once I get my trusty shredder going over the next few days, I intend putting
the chippings down on a large bed of hebes, berberis, cotoneaster and
azalea in another part of our garden. Would these benefit? I would be
grateful for advice on this course of action,

Pile it in a corner somewhere for a year and then use it. In breaking down
over your flower beds, it will take some of the nutrients out of the soil
and the plants will suffer. Not only have we seen the effects of this on
Camellias which had become very chlorotic, we have done just what I advise
you. We had some trees and branches shredded last year and put them in a
pile in a corner to let the rain and weather get at them. This autumn they
have gone onto various beds in the garden and in the green houses.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-02-2006, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
On 8/2/06 21:27, in article
, "David"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the advice. I will pile it up in a corner for this year as you
say, Sacha. Now I'm off to get the ear plugs out and start up my
shredder......

regards,

David

Old 10-02-2006, 01:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "David" contains these words:

Thanks for the advice. I will pile it up in a corner for this year as you
say, Sacha. Now I'm off to get the ear plugs out and start up my
shredder......

Give it plenty of urine during the year, too.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 10-02-2006, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Rusty Hinge 2 contains these words:

The message
from "David" contains these words:

Thanks for the advice. I will pile it up in a corner for this year as you
say, Sacha. Now I'm off to get the ear plugs out and start up my
shredder......

Give it plenty of urine during the year, too.

He means the chipping pile, not the shredder. Peeing on machinery is
often tempting, but unlikely to improve their performance

Janet
Old 10-02-2006, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "David" contains these words:

Thanks for the advice. I will pile it up in a corner for this year as you
say, Sacha. Now I'm off to get the ear plugs out and start up my
shredder......

Give it plenty of urine during the year, too.

Can you order that on-line?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 10-02-2006, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike P

... The message
... from "David" contains these words:
... Thanks for the advice. I will pile it up in a corner for this year as you
... say, Sacha. Now I'm off to get the ear plugs out and start up my
... shredder......
snipped

I would suggest if you want to use the chippings/shreddings now
........... add a high nitrogen fertiliser to the areas where you
spread it. Because this is what is used up in the soil as its breaks
down of the matter.

Mike P
Old 10-02-2006, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 10/2/06 15:53, in article , "Rupert"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
On 10/2/06 14:51, in article , "Rupert"
wrote:

snip
So I take it Amorphophallus is not one of your favourites ?

Well, let me put it this way, it's not one of my problems, either!
--

That clarification is all I need. It's was just that the expression "More
balls than a man"............... and I was wondering if.........

Stand at ease.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk